Hey, Lone Ranger, Leave The Kids Alone!

there was no evidence of Batman being a Pedophile either.....and yet way back when they tried to say his relationship with Robin was such....

I don't know, this looked a little suspicious..

220px-Batbed.png

Bob Kane said that wasnt anywhere in anyones mind who did the story.....only the real Religious would have those thoughts......or homophobes.....which one are you Joe?....

Now, Harry, you know I'm being facetious.

But there was a book written in the 1950's, where a psychology professor name Fredrick Werthem went into great detail about Batman's proclivities.

As an aside, he also called Wonder Woman out on being into BDSM, and her creator said, "Yeah, and???"

The Lone Ranger was a dude of a character to begin with.

I have no idea why they tried to make it into a movie.

Same with the Green Hornet.

I think, from what I've seen, this movie didn't know if it wanted to play it straight as an action adventure movie or be a comedy because it had Johnny Depp in it. So it tried to be both and did neither well.

Also, it suffers from the "George Lucas" disease of creating action sequences that so bend the laws of physics that you just can't take them seriously.

They already did a remake of the Lone Ranger back in the 1980's, with Christopher Lloyd.

That was pretty awful, too.
its based on a comic Joe.....you are not supposed to take it seriously......why do people with your mindset even go to see these kinds of movies?....

I think the problem is when you make something too cartoony, my suspension of disbelief goes out the window. The action scenes in the Original Star Wars were exciting because they were done with live actors (and stunt double and matte paintings) and they felt somewhat real.

Anikan Skywalker jumping hundreds of feet without a parachute and happening to land on the Changeling Babes' car? He ends up there with Bugs Bunny.

I don't know, this looked a little suspicious..

220px-Batbed.png

Bob Kane said that wasnt anywhere in anyones mind who did the story.....only the real Religious would have those thoughts......or homophobes.....which one are you Joe?....

But there was a book written in the 1950's, where a psychology professor name Fredrick Werthem went into great detail about Batman's proclivities.

As an aside, he also called Wonder Woman out on being into BDSM, and her creator said, "Yeah, and???"

thats what i was alluding too but i could not remember book or author....but i knew it was what the allegations were based on.....

I think, from what I've seen, this movie didn't know if it wanted to play it straight as an action adventure movie or be a comedy because it had Johnny Depp in it. So it tried to be both and did neither well.

Also, it suffers from the "George Lucas" disease of creating action sequences that so bend the laws of physics that you just can't take them seriously.

They already did a remake of the Lone Ranger back in the 1980's, with Christopher Lloyd.

That was pretty awful, too.
its based on a comic Joe.....you are not supposed to take it seriously......why do people with your mindset even go to see these kinds of movies?....

I think the problem is when you make something too cartoony, my suspension of disbelief goes out the window. The action scenes in the Original Star Wars were exciting because they were done with live actors (and stunt double and matte paintings) and they felt somewhat real.

Anikan Skywalker jumping hundreds of feet without a parachute and happening to land on the Changeling Babes' car? He ends up there with Bugs Bunny.

every comic i ever read the laws of physics and reality were bent.....even with Batman.....with modern day weapons the guy would be dead or captured within a week....

every comic i ever read the laws of physics and reality were bent.....even with Batman.....with modern day weapons the guy would be dead or captured within a week....

Yes, but there are degrees. :)

Of course, I think the big differences between the Star Wars prequels and the originals were the acting and writing, rather than the special effects. Those were almost unimportant considering the much lower quality story and characters.

Hooray thread derailment! :redface:

I just think that those "reviewers" are getting really paranoid and looking for a "librul conspiracy" under every rock. Did this film in question deviate from the original message and theme from the original Lone Ranger?

Agreed. The short answer is NO, the film did not substantially deviate from the original theme, it is about freedom and justice for the individual against corrupt manipulations and the evils of men, both individually, and collectively. Of all the reviews I've read, I think this one was the best. I'll include some video excerpts to drive home the comparison.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC7iUM9L1l4&feature=player_embedded]The Lone Ranger 1952 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjFsNSoDZK8&feature=player_embedded]The Lone Ranger Official Trailer #2 (2012) - Johnny Depp Movie HD - YouTube[/ame]

And there’s still the fact that Tonto just rubs some people the wrong way. Apparently he still speaks in a sort of broken English, and some critics take issue with his excessive makeup and the large black bird he wears on his head. Michelle Shining Elk, a member of the Colville Tribes of the Pacific Northwest who works in the film industry believes that this movie will only perpetuate negative stereotypes about Natives. She says that the movie sends a message “that we are uneducated, irrelevant, non-contributors to society living in teepees out on the Plains.”

Other Native filmmakers, like director Chris Eyre have a different perspective. Eyre says, “I'm not looking to this movie to be the Native Schindler's List, but I completely respect Johnny Depp for making this movie happen and for him to try and rewrite Tonto for a new generation."

Ultimately, the important thing to keep in mind is something that is often forgotten in our culture of well-meaning attempts at solidarity and support: The conversation about whether or not Tonto is a racist character is a Native conversation. Non-Native Americans (and I include myself in this category) can theorize all we want about what Tonto means for Native people. But ultimately, as the people being represented (or misrepresented), their voices will serve as the ultimate authority on Tonto’s character.

Of course, those voices will not always speak in unison, as has been evinced here. But varied though they may be, these Native voices should be heard the loudest.
http://www.policymic.com/articles/52413/the-lone-ranger-movie-why-are-native-americans-angry-at-johnny-depp

thats what i was alluding too but i could not remember book or author....but i knew it was what the allegations were based on.....

The book was titled "Seduction of the Innocent".

And to be fair to Werthem, he had some valid points. Some of the Crime and Horror comics were over the top and completely inappropriate for children, including scenes of torture and murder.

But like most fanatics, he went too far.

Second point. Batman was not the only superhero to have a pre-teen sidekick. The people who wrote comics felt they needed a character for young people to identify with. The Green Arrow had Speedy, Captain America had Bucky, etc. Robin is just the only one who survived through the silver age into the modern age of comics. Well, Kind of. There've been about six Robins over the years, and some of them "Died" to boost comic book sales.

Non-Native Americans (and I include myself in this category) can theorize all we want about what Tonto means for Native people. But ultimately, as the people being represented (or misrepresented), their voices will serve as the ultimate authority on Tonto’s character.

Of course, those voices will not always speak in unison, as has been evinced here. But varied though they may be, these Native voices should be heard the loudest.
http://www.policymic.com/articles/52413/the-lone-ranger-movie-why-are-native-americans-angry-at-johnny-depp

Not according to ClosedCaption and Carbineer. They have dictated that Native American voices are unimportant.

Instead of you white liberals dictating what offends Native Americans, maybe we could ask one.

Whoa nice bait and switch Dave.
Yeah, 'bout what I thought. You don't give a shit what a real Indian thinks -- especially when he disagrees with you, a white liberal.
So instead of explaining how Depp playing an Indian is hypocritical (your words not mine) you cant so you now are onto a new point about whether or not all Indians are ok with it.

Quitter
I REALLY have to explain how Depp playing an Indian in this movie is hypocritical?

Dood. That's like having to explain that the sun comes up in the east.

You're making a special effort to NOT understand it. Let me try it again, dumbed down for you:

"White people suck for being mean to Indians. You should feel bad about it. But we're going to be mean to Indians by not going to give an Indian a job in this movie that tells you white people suck for being mean to Indians. We're going to give the job to a white guy with a spray-on tan."

Prediction: You will not understand this.

This isn't about a real indian Dave unless you are changing the subject. You said Hollywood were (was?) hypocrits for hiring Depp to play an Indian. I asked how?

You respond back about caring about Indians feelings? Are you a fucking girl?

Feeling bad is what people do after murders idiot. Feeling bad about murdering an Indian has nothing to do with hiring a white guy to play a Indian. The only comparison is that both examples contain the word Indian.

See Dave, just because they hired a white guy to play an Indian doesn't mean now they have to dance on dead Indians you stupid turd hammer

Whoa nice bait and switch Dave.
Yeah, 'bout what I thought. You don't give a shit what a real Indian thinks -- especially when he disagrees with you, a white liberal.
So instead of explaining how Depp playing an Indian is hypocritical (your words not mine) you cant so you now are onto a new point about whether or not all Indians are ok with it.

Quitter
I REALLY have to explain how Depp playing an Indian in this movie is hypocritical?

Dood. That's like having to explain that the sun comes up in the east.

You're making a special effort to NOT understand it. Let me try it again, dumbed down for you:

"White people suck for being mean to Indians. You should feel bad about it. But we're going to be mean to Indians by not going to give an Indian a job in this movie that tells you white people suck for being mean to Indians. We're going to give the job to a white guy with a spray-on tan."

Prediction: You will not understand this.

This isn't about a real indian Dave unless you are changing the subject. You said Hollywood were (was?) hypocrits for hiring Depp to play an Indian. I asked how?

You respond back about caring about Indians feelings? Are you a fucking girl?

Feeling bad is what people do after murders idiot. Feeling bad about murdering an Indian has nothing to do with hiring a white guy to play a Indian. The only comparison is that both examples contain the word Indian.

See Dave, just because they hired a white guy to play an Indian doesn't mean now they have to dance on dead Indians you stupid turd hammer

"Prediction: You will not understand this."

Yup. I called it.

Retard.

With things going the way they are, in 10 years they will take characters like Supergirl and make her a transvestite, transexual or beastophile. At the very least a bisexual.

I'll skip the new Lone Ranger film, as I did Brokeback Mountain and propaganda pieces.

With things going the way they are, in 10 years they will take characters like Supergirl and make her a transvestite, transexual or beastophile. At the very least a bisexual.

I'll skip the new Lone Ranger film, as I did Brokeback Mountain and propaganda pieces.

Actually, they already went there.

horse2.jpg

Comet was one of a series of super-powered animals, including Streaky the Supercat and Beppo the Supermonkey, that were popular in DC's comics of the 1960s. Comet was Supergirl's pet horse and, while in his human form as Bill Starr, her brief boyfriend. Comet also had a brief romance with Lois Lane in her comic book.

As he described to her telepathically, he was originally a centaur in ancient Greece named Biron. The witch Circe gave him a potion to turn him fully human after he prevented an evil sorcerer poisoning her water, but by mistake made him fully horse instead due to the Sorcerer. Unable to reverse the spell, she instead gave him superpowers, including immortality. The Sorcerer asked his teacher to help him against Biron and they were able to imprison him on an asteroid in the constellation of Sagittarius, which he had been born under. However when Supergirl's rocket passed it broke the force field, enabling him to escape. Later, after meeting Supergirl, he went on a mission with her to another planet, where a magic spell was cast that turned him into a human, but only while a comet passes through the solar system he is in. As a human, he adopted the identity of "Bronco" Bill Starr, a rodeo trick-rider, whom Supergirl fell in love with.

I found it interesting that he is going to attempt to BUY WOUNDED KNEE, the most sacred native American site in America, to donate to the original Americans. . . .

The fact of the matter is, if he hadn't accepted this role? More than likely, the movie would not have gotten made. Is it the "Roots" of the Native Americans? Is the the Schindler's List? No. But until you have seen the movie, and know the actor's motives and history, you really don't know what you are talking about. . .

(All single quotes '. . ' are from Mr. Depp.)
Depp has personal motives for signing up to play Tonto. He is fiercely proud of his own Native American heritage, and for him this film was the chance to redress the balance, to make some small amends for the way that American Indians have been portrayed on film in the past.

‘I was told at a very young age that I have some Indian blood – God knows how much, but it’s there. It’s part of me.

'My great grandmother on my mum’s side, Mae Sloan, had quite the look – the braids, the whole thing. And she was a wonderful, beautiful woman. She lived until she was 102 and she chewed tobacco till the day she died.

‘We were told that we were of Cherokee descent, but it’s possible it could have been Creek Indian. I remember one story vividly, dating back to the late 1700s or early 1800s. It was a story about an Indian woman who had an affair and then married a white man and within no time at all she was murdered, beheaded.

‘The question was, was she murdered by a white man who didn’t agree with her marrying this guy?

'Or was it Indians who did it because she had married outside of her tribe? We’ll never know. But we always heard that story and we were told that it was one of our relatives and it’s stayed with me.’

Depp was born in Owensboro, Kentucky, the youngest of four children.

He can remember watching cowboy movies on the TV but, he smiles, ‘The Duke (John Wayne) never got me. I’d watch these cowboy movies and the Indians were always portrayed as these savages. They were always the bad guys, and that didn’t sit right with me. And when I played cowboys and Indians I wanted to be the Indian.

‘I remember watching The Lone Ranger on TV when I was a kid, and I always identified with Tonto. And even back then I always wondered why Tonto, the Indian, was the sidekick. Why isn’t he the hero? Why is he the guy who has to go and do what the Lone Ranger tells him?

'So when I got the opportunity to play Tonto, I wanted to play him as a warrior with great dignity and great integrity and at the same time with a sense of humour about the white man and all the things they do. It’s my way of trying to give back, because of the way that they have been mistreated in cinema.

‘What they teach you, certainly in American schools, is mostly a lie. Look at Andrew Jackson, who is celebrated as one of the great soldiers and presidents.

'His face is on the $20 bill, and that p***** me off because he was a cold-blooded, killing machine who murdered countless Indians. Abraham Lincoln’s face is on the penny, the smallest denomination of money you can have in the States.

'So the Great Emancipator was put on the least amount of money and Andrew Jackson’s face is on the $20 bill. What does that say?

‘History is in the hands of those who get to write the books, as they say. And until you grow up and read about the true facts that’s the stuff they teach you in school.’

Such is Depp’s commitment to the Native American cause, he is planning to spend millions of his own money to return land, Wounded Knee, in South Dakota, to their ownership.

The site, the scene of an 1890 massacre, is up for sale for $3.9 million. Local Native Americans say they cannot afford to buy it. Depp is outraged.

‘It’s very sacred ground and many atrocities were committed against the Sioux there. And in the 1970s there was a stand-off between the Feds (Federal government) and the people who should own that land. This historical land is so important to the Sioux culture and all I want to do is buy it and give it back. Why doesn’t the government do that?’’

Is he really prepared to pay for the land?

‘I am doing my best to make that happen. It’s land they were pushed on to and then they were massacred there. It really saddens me.’

Before filming on The Lone Ranger started, Depp met leaders of Native American communities to get their blessing and the production hired a Comanche expert, William ‘Two Raven’ Voelker, as an adviser.

‘The main thing was, “Are we doing right by the Indian? Let’s not make any mistakes here.” The idea was to give back to them and to make sure that we got it right.

‘The production was blessed by the Navajo and the Comanche and I got a call from LaDonna Harris, who has been a Comanche activist for many years, to say that she wanted to adopt me into her family and into the Comanche nation. It’s a great honour.’

Read more: Johnny Depp on life after Vanessa Paradis - and cheating death in The Lone Ranger | Mail Online

Forum List

Back