Hey, Bill Maher! Why won't you debate evolution?

The ClayTaurus said:
Exactly. I've never understood creationists and evolutionists fighting when they could both be correct.

Again: the theory of evolution does not contain anywhere within it the origin of life; merely the adaptation and progression of life after creation.

I agree, evolution is just another word for upgrades or redesign, fossils prove this and we can see it happening in our world today. The average height in America is taller than when I was younger. As has been pointed out before on this board, I being 5'9'' seem to be more sensitive to this fact. I have seen some of my nieces and all of my nephews grow taller than myself and I am taller than my father.

The ClayTaurus said:
Exactly. I've never understood creationists and evolutionists fighting when they could both be correct.

Again: the theory of evolution does not contain anywhere within it the origin of life; merely the adaptation and progression of life after creation.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Don't most "evolutionists" believe that if you could trace back far enough that you would wind up at a single-celled organism that was the first living thing on the planet? This would be in stark contrast to the biblical version of how life began. I suppose there are some creation theories that allow for this...not familiar with any though.

MissileMan said:
I'm not sure I agree with this. Don't most "evolutionists" believe that if you could trace back far enough that you would wind up at a single-celled organism that was the first living thing on the planet? This would be in stark contrast to the biblical version of how life began. I suppose there are some creation theories that allow for this...not familiar with any though.
It's all open to how much faith you have in either creationism or evolution, of course. Sure, if you think God made monkeys and God made men, completely seperate and unrelated, than you more than likely find fault with the theory of evolution. But if you interpret evolution as God's tool for creating the different animals listed in Genesis, then you're back to the two not being mutually exclusive.

The problem is when evolution gets misconstrued as an explanation for the creation of life, be it monkey and humans or the single-celled parent of us all. Evolution takes existing life and modifies it. There is no provision for creation of life from non-life. That's my ultimate, albeit obvious (at least I thought obvious) point.

Forum List

Back