Hey, Bill Maher! Why won't you debate evolution?

-Cp

Sep 23, 2004
Earth
EVOLUTION WATCH
Bill Maher challenged to intelligent-design debate
Author Ray Comfort says TV satirist too insecure to accept offer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: May 10, 2006
1:00 a.m. Eastern

A Christian author and TV host whose latest book, "Intelligent Design Versus Evolution: Letters to an Atheist," debunks Darwinism has challenged fellow television personality Bill Maher to a public debate on the origins of the Earth.

Says Ray Comfort: "Mr. Maher, like all believers in the theory of evolution, simply has a blind faith in a theory-tale that can't be substantiated. It's just another opiate of the masses – a religion called 'Darwinism' that piously robes itself in what it thinks is 'science.' It is true science fiction."

Comfort hosts "The Way of the Master" with actor Kirk Cameron.

"I am beginning to suspect that some men may have evolved from chickens, or at least that's the impression I get when it comes to evolutionists standing up for their convictions," notes Comfort. "Mr. Maher can choose the place of the debate. I don't mind if he has it in front of his audience. He can bill it as 'Another simple-minded Christian being thrown to the lions.'"

The former host of "Politically Incorrect," Maher now hosts "Real Time with Bill Maher" on HBO and is known to be hostile toward religious faith.

In a statement, Comfort quotes Maher as saying last year: "Evolution is supported by the entire scientific community ... the reason there is no real debate is that intelligent design isn't real science. ..."

Responds Comfort: "I can scientifically prove intelligent design. Let's have 20 minutes each. I present my case (I won't even mention 'faith') and then he can present his case for evolution. I say that he doesn't have one. He's bluffing. I don't mind if he spends his 20 minutes telling jokes, because that's all he has."

In 2001, Comfort was a platform speaker at the American Atheists' 27th National Convention. He has also spoken on the subject of intelligent design at Yale, UCLA and other institutions.

Comfort says his publication "The Atheist Test" has sold over 700,000 copies. He's the author of more than 50 books, including "God Doesn't Believe in Atheists" and "The Evidence Bible."

Referencing intelligent design, Comfort said, "Hundreds of scientific scholars and researchers throughout the world support it – including scientists with the U.S. National Academy of Sciences and the Smithsonian Institute, with doctoral degrees in biological sciences, physics, chemistry, mathematics, medicine, computer science and related disciplines, from universities such as Yale, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, UC Berkeley, and UCLA. So Mr. Maher can't dismiss the idea as 'not scientific' just because he doesn't like that conclusion."

Added the author: "'Intelligent Design Versus Evolution' contains scores of letters written by a very intelligently designed atheist who gives evolution's best arguments. I think that's healthy. Yet pro-evolution pseudo-intellectuals are calling for censorship, by not allowing school kids the freedom to listen to both sides of the argument. That reveals their insecurity."

jillian said:
He won't debate evolution because there isn't anything to debate, perhaps.

What you're saying is, maybe he has no evidence he could present which would satisfy "Evolution" as a viable option of how Life started? Oh - that's right...evolution doesn't DEAL with 'how' life started...only that by SOME force, or SOME chance, life just 'happened'.

;)

dmp said:
What you're saying is, maybe he has no evidence he could present which would satisfy "Evolution" as a viable option of how Life started? Oh - that's right...evolution doesn't DEAL with 'how' life started...only that by SOME force, or SOME chance, life just 'happened'.

;)

You're talking about the Bible as science. The Bible is the Bible and science is science.

And if you've read Stephen Hawkings books, you've seen that science can co-exist with religion. In fact, Einstein was a believer.

But muddying the waters by saying creationism is science doesn't make any sense.

Just out of curiousity. How old do you believe the world is?

Evolution isn't a creation theory. It's a what-happened-after-creation theory.

One can believe in God as the creator and evolution. The two are not mutually exclusive.

jillian said:
But muddying the waters by saying creationism is science doesn't make any sense.

Dude, you're bigoted against the possibility based on your hatred/fear? of Christianity. You've not taken (most people, really) a GOOD honest look at Creationism and junk.

dmp said:
Dude, you're bigoted against the possibility based on your hatred/fear? of Christianity. You've not taken (most people, really) a GOOD honest look at Creationism and junk.

I have no hatred or fear of any belief that means no harm to others. But creationism isn't science, hon. It's religion. And I don't view the Bible literally, I view it as allegorical.

And while you're entitled to your religious beliefs. (I hope they give you peace of mind and contentment) you are not entitled to pretend it's science.

I have never had any problem with creationism being taught as part of a comparative religion class in any school. But confusing children as to what real science is ... well... if you want that, you're free to enroll your children in parochial school. I'd prefer my son learn religion during his religion studies and science when he's in science class.

And for Jeff: It's only a "debate" because religious folk keep trying to make it one. There IS NO DEBATE about it in the scientific community. :cof:

jillian said:
And for Jeff: It's only a "debate" because religious folk keep trying to make it one. There IS NO DEBATE about it in the Usefull Idiot community

Isn't that what you meant to say?

jillian said:
I have never had any problem with creationism being taught as part of a comparative religion class in any school. But confusing children as to what real science is ... well... if you want that, you're free to enroll your children in parochial school. I'd prefer my son learn religion during his religion studies and science when he's in science class.
Conversely, you could move to Kansas, where it now is science.

jillian said:
I have no hatred or fear of any belief that means no harm to others. But creationism isn't science, hon. It's religion. And I don't view the Bible literally, I view it as allegorical.

And while you're entitled to your religious beliefs. (I hope they give you peace of mind and contentment) you are not entitled to pretend it's science.

And for Jeff: It's only a "debate" because religious folk keep trying to make it one. There IS NO DEBATE about it in the scientific community. :cof:

Baby - Creationism is LESS religious than is Darwinism. Evolution takes MOUNTAINS of faith - faith I can't in good concious allow for. Creationism makes perfect scientific sense. But you wouldn't know that because your fear of Christianity precludes your honest study of creationism.

dmp said:
Baby - Creationism is LESS religious than is Darwinism. Evolution takes MOUNTAINS of faith - faith I can't in good concious allow for. Creationism makes perfect scientific sense. But you wouldn't know that because your fear of Christianity precludes your honest study of creationism.

That's true dmp - if she were open to it AS a SCIENCE, she'd have no problems spending time reading:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/

dmp said:

Creationism does not make scientific sense at all. Creationism is based on faith. Nothing more, nothing less....

Forum List

Back