Hey Any Kerry Backers, Responses?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.polipundit.com/2004_09_05_polipundit_archive.html#109466216323678911

Kerry Admits Iraq Was Part Of The War On Terror -- So Why Isn't That Big News?

Yesterday I posted a quote from John Kerry in which he identified the 1000th death in Iraq as part of the War on Terror. I thought that was a pretty big deal considering all the talk Kerry was doing the past couple of days about the "wrong war, wrong place, wrong time" and how Bush has been accused of diverting attention from the War on Terror to pursue the Iraq "War for Oil and Halliburton Contracts." But today I have seen just a few mentions of the quote at all. What I have seen are more stories about Bush's National Guard record. So what is going on? I understand why the Old Media is following the Democrat talking points and chasing the Bush AWOL story for the fifth or sixth time, but the blogosphere is better than that. I would have expected to find big stories at most of the blogs listing all the quotes John Kerry and his supporters have made over the past 18 months about how Iraq diverted resources from fighting the War on Terror. Instead, all I found were just a few mentions of how the quote did not square with Kerry's previous position.

I asked a fairly impartial friend back during the pre-Monica Clinton scandals why more people were not outraged that Clinton was lying about the illegal campaign funds from China, the transfer of technology to Loral, and various other matters. His explanation was that Clinton already had a reputation for prevaricating, so it wasn't exactly big news. I think that the media, and maybe even the public, has reached that point with John Kerry. It isn't exactly news when Kerry presents two or more opposing views on the Iraq War. It has now become expected that Kerry will change his position several times a day, but when that change in position exonerates the President of many of the most egregious claims made against him over the past 18 months concerning Iraq, I would think that it might just be worthy of a few headlines.

UPDATE: As mentioned in the post linked to above, yesterday Brit Hume referenced Kerry's quote referring to Iraq as part of the war on terror and today Rush Limbaugh picked it up as well. CrushKerry has been all over it (in fact first bringing it to my attention) and has an update from the Kerry campaign clarifying the quote and a story looking at Kerry's nuanced positions on Iraq:
Some American Casualties In Iraq More Important Than Others. How else to interpret the Kerry campaign's clarification of Kerry's comment yesterday that the Americans killed in Iraq died fighting the "war on terror"? Their explanation: Kerry was referring to U.S. soldiers fighting in parts of Iraq that have now become a breeding ground for terrorists. So Senator, can you delineate which specific dead in Iraq were killed in the "good war" (the war on terror), and which were killed in the" Bad War" or as you say, the"wrong war, in the wrong place, at the wrong time" or the "quagmire" (the Iraq war)?

posted by Lorie Byrd at 1:22 PM Link to this post | Comments (25) | Trackback (0)

Forum List

Back