Here's the problem with merit based immigration (IMHO)

If only the best qualified are allowed to immigrate to the US, then they will compete only for the best, highest paying jobs available. Leaving the menial jobs, the low paying jobs, the back breaking jobs, for the native born.

Is that really what we want?

How good are you at picking lettuce?

Farm workers can still come here on temporary work visas, that way they don't need to be separated from their families and their money will go MUCH further back in their home. Hell, they are always sending it back via western union anyway. Perhaps that system can also be re-vamped so it is more convenient and organized for them, and maybe children of farm workers who have worked here 5 years or more can get special consideration for their kids in getting student visas later on.

What is wrong with bringing people here who know the language and are good at math? Those are the people who will actually be more likely to start their own auto repair shop or taqueria or some other type of business. Why must you assume immigrants just come here to take jobs and not create jobs? Why don't we invite people here who have money to invest in the system?

Another thing is, the more poor people we invite in en mass, who cannot speak English or have no skills, the harder it is for them to fit in, and their kids more likely to end up in a gang. Not always of course, and maybe not even at huge percentages, but definitely at higher percentages than children of highly educated parents.

There is something to be said for both arguments so maybe there is a compromise to be found. And something better than we have now
FYI I read this in the news....
40% of the legal immigrants brought here from Africa, have college degrees..... that's a higher percentage than us Americans born here....

Spending time on my grandparents farm growing up I picked peas,corn, and tomatos among other's it's not for the out of shape but if I needed a job and someone offered it to me I would do it.
so you are okay with putting the merit based foreign immigrants in the limited ''good jobs'' in America??

You allow them in as necessity dictates.
You dont allow them to flood the country like barry did with the shithole immigrants.
Illegal immigrants and Refugees are different, have a different status in our laws, and are handled differently....

And no President has refused refugees from a country that has had a natural disaster or has murderous thugs trying to kill them or the people are dying in droves due to a famine....

We didnt do it in the past,why now?
We used to give aid in place until the area was pacified or infrastructure was reestablished.
So again...why the rush to flood America with third worlders?
We both know the answer and so does everyone else.

If only the best qualified are allowed to immigrate to the US, then they will compete only for the best, highest paying jobs available. Leaving the menial jobs, the low paying jobs, the back breaking jobs, for the native born.

In my youth, I harvested tobacco and I was paid more than minimum wage.

Many of my rural students do the same thing today when the jobs are not taken by migrant illegals.

Spending time on my grandparents farm growing up I picked peas,corn, and tomatos among other's it's not for the out of shape but if I needed a job and someone offered it to me I would do it.
so you are okay with putting the merit based foreign immigrants in the limited ''good jobs'' in America??

You dont allow them to flood the country like barry did with the shithole immigrants.
Illegal immigrants and Refugees are different, have a different status in our laws, and are handled differently....

And no President has refused refugees from a country that has had a natural disaster or has murderous thugs trying to kill them or the people are dying in droves due to a famine....

We used to give aid in place until the area was pacified or infrastructure was reestablished.
You have got to be kidding? We have decades of my life, having refugees entering our country.... even Maine has a Somalian community who were refugees brought here decades ago.... We brought the Vietnamese in, the Salvadoreans in, we brought the Mariel Boat Lift refugees from Cuba in....and that is just on the tip of my tongue for the refugees brought in.....

Last edited:

You have got to be kidding? We have decades of my life, having refugees entering our country.... even Maine has a Somalian community who were refugees brought here decades ago.... We brought the Vietnamese in, the Salvadoreans in, we brought the Mariel Boat Lift refugees from Cuba in....and that is just on the tip of my tongue for the refugees brought in.....

Not at the rate we're doing it now...or should I say at the rate barry was doing.
And I see you ignored the reason why.

Farm workers can still come here on temporary work visas, that way they don't need to be separated from their families and their money will go MUCH further back in their home. Hell, they are always sending it back via western union anyway. Perhaps that system can also be re-vamped so it is more convenient and organized for them, and maybe children of farm workers who have worked here 5 years or more can get special consideration for their kids in getting student visas later on.

What is wrong with bringing people here who know the language and are good at math? Those are the people who will actually be more likely to start their own auto repair shop or taqueria or some other type of business. Why must you assume immigrants just come here to take jobs and not create jobs? Why don't we invite people here who have money to invest in the system?

Another thing is, the more poor people we invite in en mass, who cannot speak English or have no skills, the harder it is for them to fit in, and their kids more likely to end up in a gang. Not always of course, and maybe not even at huge percentages, but definitely at higher percentages than children of highly educated parents.

There is something to be said for both arguments so maybe there is a compromise to be found. And something better than we have now
40% of the legal immigrants brought here from Africa, have college degrees..... that's a higher percentage than us Americans born here....

No one really has an issue with African illegals. They are typically a better quality person then those from south of the border.

Not at the rate we're doing it now...or should I say at the rate barry was doing.
Yes, at the same rate or HIGHER than what happened on Obama's watch...you've just fallen for the lies told.

And there is no reason why, other than humanitarian reasons....they are not voters, if that is what you are implying, which I hate to tell ya...is just another lie you bought in to...

Yes, at the same rate or HIGHER than what happened on Obama's watch...you've just fallen for the lies told.

And there is no reason why, other than humanitarian reasons....they are not voters, if that is what you are implying, which is just another lie you bought in to...

You know as well as I do amnesty will be the next step,just like always.

And why shouldn't they be wanted here if they are legal and are educated? I don't see a problem with that type of immigrant

upload_2018-1-19_0-49-37.jpeg

So now you're saying you're too high and mighty to pick peas, corn, and tomatoes?

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

LEGAL immigration brings in about 1 million people per year ---- hardly enough to justify your scare mongering.

thats sort of the point. The more immigrants who come here with no skills, the more the "good jobs" tend to be limited. The hope of immigration for the host country is to attract immigrants with money to invest, or skills to invest, and the ability to invent, or create new businesses, ideally expanding the economy and creating new jobs.Thats not to say lower skilled immigrants should not be welcomed as well, but why not have a better balance?

Well, the point of a merit based system should be that such people are filling the gaps that can't be filled by US citizens. The problem is that governments are generally inept at this sort of thing.

China has introduced a new merit based system.

The New Chinese Z-visa System is Here! | Look For Teachers

You have A, B and C. A is for the best and C is for the worst. Getting an A visa is much easier than a C visa.

You need to get points to fall into one of the three categories.

Work-Permit-System.png

Here are the points.

So, being between 26 and 45 is considered to be better. Somehow. Surely a 56 year old with tons of experience in their job might be better than a 26 year old straight out of university. However they see it differently.

Yes, you get more points for experience. So, they're essentially throwing points at people. You're 56 you get 5 points, but you've had 30 years experience, you get 15 points, plus 5 points. Whereas a 26 year old gets 15 points.

You get 15 points for a masters, which is 5 points ahead of a normal degree. But you could have a masters in one thing, and be teaching English. You still get more points even if the masters isn't relevant.

Someone throwing lots of money at you gets you more points. So, if you work for a western company that pays you a western wage, you'll get more points than if you work for a Chinese company.

Not much of this makes much sense.

Shortage of talent can only get you 10 points.

Well, the point of a merit based system should be that such people are filling the gaps that can't be filled by US citizens. The problem is that governments are generally inept at this sort of thing.

China has introduced a new merit based system.

The New Chinese Z-visa System is Here! | Look For Teachers

You have A, B and C. A is for the best and C is for the worst. Getting an A visa is much easier than a C visa.

You need to get points to fall into one of the three categories.

Work-Permit-System.png

Here are the points.

So, being between 26 and 45 is considered to be better. Somehow. Surely a 56 year old with tons of experience in their job might be better than a 26 year old straight out of university. However they see it differently.

Yes, you get more points for experience. So, they're essentially throwing points at people. You're 56 you get 5 points, but you've had 30 years experience, you get 15 points, plus 5 points. Whereas a 26 year old gets 15 points.

You get 15 points for a masters, which is 5 points ahead of a normal degree. But you could have a masters in one thing, and be teaching English. You still get more points even if the masters isn't relevant.

Someone throwing lots of money at you gets you more points. So, if you work for a western company that pays you a western wage, you'll get more points than if you work for a Chinese company.

Not much of this makes much sense.

Shortage of talent can only get you 10 points.
Makes sense to me.

Forum List

Back