Zone1 Here's an Idea . . . .

Votar Roja

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2023
Here's an Idea . . . . instead of starting threads that tear down other peoples' religion, how about you people start a thread that builds up, and makes the case for, YOUR religion.

My religion supports helping the poor.

Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed.

Proverbs 19:17

My religion supports welcoming strangers in need.

The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as one of your citizens; you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt

Leviticus 19:34

My religion supports trust in marriage.

And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery

Matthew 19:9

Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed.

The stranger who resides with you shall be to you as one of your citizens; you shall love him as yourself, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt

And I say to you: whoever divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another, commits adultery

Awesome. I hope you do all those things.

A rejection of the supernatural helps one maintain a facts-based understanding of the way the universe works. We do not waste time or expectations begging a fantasy to intercede in human affairs. We do not follow synthetic, manufactured codes of conduct but the rule of law and the conclusions of our own moral philosophy. Personally, I've found the Golden Rule to cover just about every such topic that arises. I highly recommend atheism. If you still find yourself considering the existence of magical divinities, consider that it is the most perfect application of William of Ockham's shaving utensil.

A rejection of the supernatural helps one maintain a facts-based understanding of the way the universe works. We do not waste time or expectations begging a fantasy to intercede in human affairs. We do not follow synthetic, manufactured codes of conduct but the rule of law and the conclusions of our own moral philosophy. Personally, I've found the Golden Rule to cover just about every such topic that arises. I highly recommend atheism. If you still find yourself considering the existence of magical divinities, consider that it is the most perfect application of William of Ockham's shaving utensil.
The material world can only be made manifest by mind. It is physicists who have expressed most clearly the pervasive relationship between mind and matter, and indeed at times the primacy of mind. Arthur Eddington wrote, “the stuff of the world is mind‑stuff. The mind‑stuff is not spread in space and time." Von Weizsacker stated what he called his “Identity Hypothesis; that consciousness and matter are different aspects of the same reality. In 1952 Wolfgang Pauli said, "the only acceptable point of view appears to be the one that recognizes both sides of reality -- the quantitative and the qualitative, the physical and the psychical -- as compatible with each other, and can embrace them simultaneously . . . It would be most satisfactory of all if physis and psyche (i.e., matter and mind) could be seen as complementary aspects of the same reality."

As for rosy opinion of atheism, I suggest you research the history of 20th century atheistic nations before singing their praises so ignorantly.

That's quite the unbalanced view you have there.

And yet still somehow completely true.

By any objective measure religion has been a force for good. You have to look at the whole picture.

The whole picture is as far back as there has been religion it's been used to keep people in line.

Have there been good people doing good things occasionally? Sure.

But on the whole I gotta say it's a net negative.

Being a Christian I refrain from tearing down other people's religion, or lack there-of, because I believe it is a personal matter of choice. As Jesus instructs, don't judge another person's behavior or attitude to see if they are morally wrong and you are morally superior.

I believe actions speak louder than words and to be most influential I should concentrate on conducting myself appropriately and lead by example.

No problem. America was founded as a Christian nation, so that's what we should be.
What is christian about murdering Indians for land and gold? What is christian about enslaving black people for free labor. What is christian about treating the yellow men like dogs? Do you know Jesus? The ones who allowed those things didn't know him.

And yet still somehow completely true.

The whole picture is as far back as there has been religion it's been used to keep people in line.

Have there been good people doing good things occasionally? Sure.

But on the whole I gotta say it's a net negative.
That's you confirming your bias. Darwin would say you are absolutely wrong.

Here's an Idea . . . . instead of starting threads that tear down other peoples' religion, how about you people start a thread that builds up, and makes the case for, YOUR religion.
No problem. America was founded as a Christian nation, so that's what we should be.

Well, I think that is more of a government idea than a religion one, but I empathize with your point.

That's a good post. I can say the same in fact.

Awesome. I hope you do all those things.

Its too bad YOUR politics CREATE the poor and disenfranchised. Maybe you should join pknopp instead of mocking him.

By the way, nice violation of the spirit of this thread. Jerk.

A rejection of the supernatural helps one maintain a facts-based understanding of the way the universe works . . . . .

You get the Asshole award for the first post in the thread to violate its premise.

And for the record, it is a mathematical impossibility that the word was not intelligently designed.

Forum List

Back