Here come the salt police!!!!

If I choose to eat 4 pounds of salt and 6 pounds of butter every day... and there is a company that wishes to package and sell the products that fit that bill... that is all part of a little thing called freedom

If I choose to ingest 6 ounces of crystal meth and 12 cc's of herion every day... and there is a company that wishes to package and sell the products that fit that bill... that is all part of a little thing called freedom. :thup:

Last edited:
If I choose to eat 4 pounds of salt and 6 pounds of butter every day... and there is a company that wishes to package and sell the products that fit that bill... that is all part of a little thing called freedom

If I choose to injest 6 ounces of crystal meth and 12 cc's of herion every day... and there is a company that wishes to package and sell the products that fit that bill... that is all part of a little thing called freedom. :thup:

Except salt and butter is not an illegal substance... and I don't think there are grounds to make them so.. unlike what we have with those illegal drugs

But you do have the freedom of choice to place all those drugs in your system... you just take the risk of paying the piper when caught.. just as the butter and salt eater assumes the risks associated with their actions

If I choose to injest 6 ounces of crystal meth and 12 cc's of herion every day... and there is a company that wishes to package and sell the products that fit that bill... that is all part of a little thing called freedom. :thup:

Except salt and butter is not an illegal substance... and I don't think there are grounds to make them so.. unlike what we have with those illegal drugs

But you do have the freedom of choice to place all those drugs in your system... you just take the risk of paying the piper when caught.. just as the butter and salt eater assumes the risks associated with their actions

Yup.

And regardless of this regulation, you can still eat as much salt and butter as you like... therefore your freedom is not infringed.

It is not like there are toxic chemicals, rat droppings galore, or other contaminants in these foods

Fuck the motherfucking FDA and the idiot governmental control freaks that are trying to give this power to government.. and fuck anyone who thinks this is a GOOD thing

LMAO, wow. Get up on the wrong side of the bed today Dave (or maybe you hit the bottle a little early today?).
I have an idea. Since you hate government so much, why not leave and go somewhere where you can be truly free. I suggest Somalia. Very little government, total freedom to do what you please, no taxes, guns everywhere. Seems like the perfect place for you.

Yup.

And regardless of this regulation, you can still eat as much salt and butter as you like... therefore your freedom is not infringed.

Except those wishing to sell food that fits that bill are being infringed upon.. whether I can go to the store to buy butter or salt separately or not

It is not like there are toxic chemicals, rat droppings galore, or other contaminants in these foods

Fuck the motherfucking FDA and the idiot governmental control freaks that are trying to give this power to government.. and fuck anyone who thinks this is a GOOD thing

LMAO, wow. Get up on the wrong side of the bed today Dave (or maybe you hit the bottle a little early today?).
I have an idea. Since you hate government so much, why not leave and go somewhere where you can be truly free. I suggest Somalia. Very little government, total freedom to do what you please, no taxes, guns everywhere. Seems like the perfect place for you.

Been there... take my word for it... you should go... they would love a little pansy leftist like you.. .you would be a nice playtoy for the warlords and their personal armies

It's a done deal. They will be lowering the salt content in processed foods. They're saving you from yourself and kids who don't know any better as well.

You can eat all those things on your own time. No problem.

The job of government is not to save someone from themselves.... it is to protect the freedoms and rights that we have

If I choose to go on the all Jack Daniels and Crisco diet... that is my business
If I have a product that has 96% of it's calories from fat and enough salt to make a horse happy for a month.. so be it... as long as I am not having toxic chemicals or contaminants and I disclose what is in my product... if the public don't want it, the public won't buy it

You can eat all that stuff you mentioned unless you're getting behind the wheel after the JD.

You can still eat all the salt you want as well.

The non-ignorant and non-ideological amongst us applaude efforts by the FDA to make our food safer and healthier. Common table salt is a necessary part of our diet, but in excess it is harmful. Unless of course the doctors of the world have all conspired to make us less healthy in order to increase their profits, and have lied to us all these years.
Adding lots of salt (check out the amount in your V-8 juice) and sugar in processed foods must make them cheaper and more profitable, and of course tastier. Simply one more example of why a government of the people watching out for its citizens lives up to the vision statement in the preamble to our constitution. Only fringers object to such matters.

To me its a waste of time and government reasources. People can choose to eat healthier if they want to.

I object and I am not a fringer or ignorant.

It's a done deal. They will be lowering the salt content in processed foods. They're saving you from yourself and kids who don't know any better as well.

You can eat all those things on your own time. No problem.

The job of government is not to save someone from themselves.... it is to protect the freedoms and rights that we have

If I choose to go on the all Jack Daniels and Crisco diet... that is my business
If I have a product that has 96% of it's calories from fat and enough salt to make a horse happy for a month.. so be it... as long as I am not having toxic chemicals or contaminants and I disclose what is in my product... if the public don't want it, the public won't buy it

You can eat all that stuff you mentioned unless you're getting behind the wheel after the JD.

You can still eat all the salt you want as well.

Except you are infringing on the rights of those trying to sell food that fits that bill in a packaged product....

Nice try, sarah.... that don't fly

This is yet another example of lefties trying to use government for their control agenda, for they know better than you on what you should eat or think or do with your money....

Yup.

Except those wishing to sell food that fits that bill are being infringed upon.. whether I can go to the store to buy butter or salt separately or not

I'm not aware of any constitutional right to sell whatever you want. And if there is one, it's been completely ignored since the day it was ratified.

The non-ignorant and non-ideological amongst us applaude efforts by the FDA to make our food safer and healthier. Common table salt is a necessary part of our diet, but in excess it is harmful. Unless of course the doctors of the world have all conspired to make us less healthy in order to increase their profits, and have lied to us all these years.
Adding lots of salt (check out the amount in your V-8 juice) and sugar in processed foods must make them cheaper and more profitable, and of course tastier. Simply one more example of why a government of the people watching out for its citizens lives up to the vision statement in the preamble to our constitution. Only fringers object to such matters.

To me its a waste of time and government reasources. People can choose to eat healthier if they want to.

I agree.

But I reject the notion that this regulation is somehow unprecedented and/or an infringement of individual liberty.

So when is the FDA going to ban food irradiation?

But you appear to be (by your response) ideological. Government required seat belts in cars, air bags in cars, helmets on bikes, etc. to make us safer. Does this infringe on your freedom? You can ignore the advice at your peril, and object to government interference all you please. You are free to do so, but to suggest that a government ignore the health and well being of its citizens is absurd. Defending us from danger is one of governments roles is it not? Or is the war on terror a waste of time and resources too?

Last edited:
Yup.

I'm not aware of any constitutional right to sell whatever you want. And if there is one, it's been completely ignored since the day it was ratified.

You are right.. there are very few rights that we constitutionally have... but we also have freedoms to exercise....

If they want to make salt or fat or the combination illegal... they are free to try....

I am sure you can hire a personal nanny if you wish to have someone control you and your intake or slap your little hand if you are about to buy something that is not healthy eating... does not mean that you should, or that the government should, take that freedom away from others

Alcohol can damage your liver and cause health problems.. too much of certain fruits can be harmful... bubble gum can rot your teeth out and cause the public to have more dental bills... McDonalds can lead to obesity and poor health... get the FDA to eliminate those choices for you too?? ensure those companies cannot sell products you want to buy even if Nina FoodNazi thinks you are doing yourself a disservice healthwise??

Nah... I'll support my freedoms and the freedoms of others to sell products with ingredients that are not illegal, even if they are putting me on the path to a heart attack in 3 years

Except you are infringing on the rights of those trying to sell food that fits that bill in a packaged product...

Are you honestly trying to make the case that government regulation of commerce is an unconstitutional infringment of individual rights???? :eusa_eh:

You might not think it's a necessary regulation (and I would agree), but then again maybe you don't think banning lead in paint is necessary either. Afterall, the lead does make a paint job last a lot longer and I'm sure there are people out there who would still want to buy it.

But you appear to be (by your response) ideological. Government required seat belts in cars, air bags in cars, helmets on bikes, etc. to make us safer. Does this infringe on your freedom? You can ignore the advice at your peril, and object to government interference all you please. You are free to do so, but to suggest that a government ignore the health and well being of those its citizens is absurd. Defending us from danger is one of governments roles is it not? Or is the war on terror a waste of time and resources too?

Nobody is forcing you to wear that seat belt... you have the choice to ride without it, even if you constantly get ticketed.... if the government says to place a warning on foods about high salt content, that is all well and good as it does not infringe on the freedom to sell or purchase that product

The government is not responsible for my health or well being.. I AM

Defending someone from themselves is not the same as national defense or 'defending from danger'

Certain food items might taste crappy with added salt - like maybe cake or ice cream. But has anyone considered the cost associated with remaking recipes and the labeling. How much more are people willing to pay? 10 percent? 20 percent?

This administration is out of control.

Until now, the government has pushed the food industry to voluntarily reduce salt and tried to educate consumers about the dangers of excessive sodium. But in a study to be released Wednesday, an expert panel convened by the Institute of Medicine concludes that those measures have failed. The panel will recommend that the government take action, according to sources familiar with the findings.

But why let science spoil all of the nanny-state fun? Don’t let facts get in the way of a crisis model for government intervention. After all, it’s for your own good, which the elites in the federal bureaucracy obviously understand better than you do.

Hot Air Blog Archive Great news: FDA to regulate salt in processed foods

Should have seen this one coming. :evil:

They're lowering the salt content of processed food slowly. I don't see anything wrong in that.

Processed foods have so much other garbage added it doesn't really matter how much they lower the sodium content anyway, it still won't make it good for you to eat. You can still take a salt shaker and kill yourself with the stuff anyway.

How much salt do you think it took to preserve food in the previous centuries? Your sodium intake is the lowest in many centuries. Another case of stuffing a mouse with more salt then a human eats in a year and calling the results shocking.

Except you are infringing on the rights of those trying to sell food that fits that bill in a packaged product...

Are you honestly trying to make the case that government regulation of commerce is an unconstitutional infringment of individual rights???? :eusa_eh:

You might not think it's a necessary regulation (and I would agree), but then again maybe you don't think banning lead in paint is necessary either. Afterall, the lead does make a paint job last a lot longer and I'm sure there are people out there who would still want to buy it.

Funny.. did not realize salt was a toxin as lead is or asbestos

If a company was putting lead into food or selling with asbestos packaging... I would agree with the action.. this is not the case... this is bullshit control in an area and to a degree that the government should not be stepping in to

I agree.

But I reject the notion that this regulation is somehow unprecedented and/or an infringement of individual liberty.

Its a question of where the line is between keeping people safe and being a pain in the ass busybody trying to make everyone so safe our lives are long, but boring and stale.

For me? Keeping botulism out of our food? good! Testing drugs for years to make sure they do what they are supposed to do and not create any more flipper babies? GOOD!

regulating salt content in certain products but not others? Annoying busybody.

Forum List

Back