Help With Windows Live Mail

I could use Google on this setup, but I don't. As long as you don't sign into Google on the phone, you're ok.

Nevermind that they try to push you into doing that 9 ways to Sunday.
I rarely use my phone anyway and I always opt out of all advertising even with Microsuxz (on the couple of machines that still have it). I also log out of Google on the computer as soon as I'm done using it.

I don't use my phone either but I think I have my Windstream email on it. I also have it on my tablet. I use a regular desktop unless I'm not home, then I mainly take my tablet to read one of the books I have on it. My desktop has Windows 7 on it and that's what I prefer.
We have five machines, two desktops, two 17" laptops and one 11" "transformer" notebook....... (it doubles as a tablet). My gaming desktop has Win 7, the wife's laptop has Win 10 and all the rest have Linux.
We have until January of 2020 when Microsoft completely ends all support for Win 7, no more security updates.

I could use Google on this setup, but I don't. As long as you don't sign into Google on the phone, you're ok.

I rarely use my phone anyway and I always opt out of all advertising even with Microsuxz (on the couple of machines that still have it). I also log out of Google on the computer as soon as I'm done using it.

I don't use my phone either but I think I have my Windstream email on it. I also have it on my tablet. I use a regular desktop unless I'm not home, then I mainly take my tablet to read one of the books I have on it. My desktop has Windows 7 on it and that's what I prefer.

Hit the windows(left of alt)+r key and type in "Services.msc", then disable Windows update unless you want to get taken for a train ride to Windows 10.
Thanks, I'll try that.

We have five machines, two desktops, two 17" laptops and one 11" "transformer" notebook....... (it doubles as a tablet). My gaming desktop has Win 7, the wife's laptop has Win 10 and all the rest have Linux.
We have until January of 2020 when Microsoft completely ends all support for Win 7, no more security updates.
How does she like Windows 10?

Hit the windows(left of alt)+r key and type in "Services.msc", then disable Windows update unless you want to get taken for a train ride to Windows 10.
That may not work especially as Win 7 nears it's expiration date and they do their usual underhanded tricks with updates....... I have an app that completely blocks Microsoft's ability to give me the upgrade, GWX Control Panel.

It doesn't bother her but I had to make some changes like putting StartisBack (old style Start Menu) and the old Win 7 games back on it, I also disabled most of Microsoft's bloatware that comes with it. Once that's done it's basically like using the Win 7 interface but you will need to set up a hotmail or outlook account with the initial upgrade though once that's done you can switch your boot login to a local account and not have to sign into Microsoft.

That may not work especially as Win 7 nears it's expiration date and they do their usual underhanded tricks with updates....... I have an app that completely blocks Microsoft's ability to give me the upgrade, GWX Control Panel.
What is that?

It doesn't bother her but I had to make some changes like putting StartisBack (old style Start Menu) and the old Win 7 games back on it, I also disabled most of Microsoft's bloatware that comes with it. Once that's done it's basically like using the Win 7 interface but you will need to set up a hotmail or outlook account with the initial upgrade though once that's done you can switch your boot login to a local account and not have to sign into Microsoft.
I'll let my computer guy do that since I have no idea how to do it myself. I don't have to sign into Microsoft now. All I do is turn it on and click onto one of the shortcuts to get to that site. I did see where no shortcuts can be added to the start screen anymore. That's a pain because I use them a lot and when my credit union updated their site, the old icon no longer worked and it wouldn't allow me to put a new one on. My desktop doesn't accept apps either so now I have to go into Google and do a search for my CU page.

What is that?
GWX Control Panel 1.7.4.1 Download - TechSpot

Bah, I can't be messin' with that. I forcefully extracted Cortana and Edge out of it. Something else that was always running, too.

I'd have to start over with a fresh 10 install at this point, too much was deleted.

I can have a Windows 7 installed in 3 minutes if the winds are blowing right.

I'll let my computer guy do that since I have no idea how to do it myself. I don't have to sign into Microsoft now. All I do is turn it on and click onto one of the shortcuts to get to that site. I did see where no shortcuts can be added to the start screen anymore. That's a pain because I use them a lot and when my credit union updated their site, the old icon no longer worked and it wouldn't allow me to put a new one on. My desktop doesn't accept apps either so now I have to go into Google and do a search for my CU page.
That's why you need something like StartisBack to regain that functionality however it will set you back $3.......

StartIsBack: real start menu for Windows 8 and Windows 10

As for getting the old Win 7 games back;

Downloads / Tools by other people / Windows 7 games for Windows 10

Only click on "Download Win 7 games for Win10"

There's another alternative to consider if you're so inclined and that's switching from Windows to Linux, I'm sure your computer guy can do that for you. Linux is free though it wouldn't hurt to donate $20 or more to the developers.
Most Windows users typically start with Linux Mint, easy to install and easy to use, very user friendly.

There's another alternative to consider if you're so inclined and that's switching from Windows to Linux, I'm sure your computer guy can do that for you. Linux is free though it wouldn't hurt to donate $20 or more to the developers.
Most Windows users typically start with Linux Mint, easy to install and easy to use, very user friendly.

Thank you. I'll check with him and see what he thinks about it.

Just be aware, if he's a Microsoft trained tech he might have the Microsoft propaganda/indoctrination against Linux. Also if he hasn't kept up with Linux he might think it's still the command line operating system it was 30 years ago, that hasn't been the case for decades.

I'm gonna start calling Ringel Tar-Baby, because he likes them tarballs.

My OS is tarball-free. :banana: Icky Icky tarballs :abgg2q.jpg:

FYI, the Windows equivalent to a tarball would be *.cab or *.msi

Just be aware, if he's a Microsoft trained tech he might have the Microsoft propaganda/indoctrination against Linux. Also if he hasn't kept up with Linux he might think it's still the command line operating system it was 30 years ago, that hasn't been the case for decades.

I'll call him on Monday and ask him.

My tarball's bigger than your tarball.........

tar_ball.png

tar_ball.png

I don't have any. :5_1_12024::banana::funnyface:

I use Glorious Master-Race Linux.
Stay away from the yum showers........... :eusa_whistle:

I am post-yum. :rolleyes:

More in the revolutions per minute category. :p

tar_ball.png

I don't have any. :5_1_12024::banana::funnyface:

I use Glorious Master-Race Linux.
Stay away from the yum showers........... :eusa_whistle:

I am post-yum. :rolleyes:

More in the revolutions per minute category. :p

This is the one I like the bast. What desktop do you use?

Forum List

Back