Help! I'm being Bombarded by Colleges!!!!

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
Now that Mini EZ is half way through her sophomore year, the colleges have been sending out emails and letters by the hundreds (it seems) every day.

I of course want her to go to Indiana University where I graduated from, plus it's only an hour south of here. :eusa_pray:

But,,,,she will choose her path of where she wants to attend.

What did y'all do when it was time for you little angel to start looking at colleges? What are some things we need to start thinking about NOW?

Thanks!

Oh, she wants to be a special ed teacher too, just like her mom! :thup:

Run them through the shredder and use 'em for mulch.
I been doing it for two years. Esp. the ones from the arts colleges on the left and right coasts, military recruiting materials, Univ. of Texas....

My girls are entering a nunnery.

No need for college.

I teach with 14 other teachers that have 15 year olds, 13 of them girls. We always joke that we could open up our own girls school, and keep them there until they are 30.

1995 must have been a 'good year' for teachers and their spouses.............

No need for college.

I teach with 14 other teachers that have 15 year olds, 13 of them girls. We always joke that we could open up our own girls school, and keep them there until they are 30.

30?

Thats it?

pshaw. I'm aiming for lifetime vows of celibacy.

Well I have a different perspective.
We print for:
Indiana University
IUPUI
Ivy Tech Bloomington
Ivy Tech Columbus
Ivy Tech Muncie
Purdue University

So that mail your gettin EZ...there is an outstanding chance some of it was made by us.
:eusa_angel:

No need for college.

30?

Thats it?

Well, I'd like to be a grandmother someday.........................

30?

Thats it?

Well, I'd like to be a grandmother someday.........................

Nuns run orphanages too.

Trust me, I have it all mapped out.

Now that Mini EZ is half way through her sophomore year, the colleges have been sending out emails and letters by the hundreds (it seems) every day.

I of course want her to go to Indiana University where I graduated from, plus it's only an hour south of here. :eusa_pray:

What did y'all do when it was time for you little angel to start looking at colleges? What are some things we need to start thinking about NOW?

Thanks!

i'm still dealing with picking a high school. the prince got into the two he picked, now we have to choose. :scared1:

mini EZ will do awesome wherever she goes.

We bought property in Georgia years ago (my wife is from Georgia) with the sole intent being our children possibly qualifying for a HOPE scholarship and attending Georgia schools for free. When my daughter was born, we lived in Bama (where I'm from) so we paid her tuition to any State school through the PACT program.

From there, its up to her. She can pick any school in Georgia or Bama, and its paid for already, or we can take the PACT money and she can chip in for the difference in cost of attending another school. She will work for her living expenses, regardless of what school she attends.

I hope she stays close to home, but it is entirely her call, and I'll support whatever she decides.

Thanks!

Just some thoughts...

Schools

You daughter should start researching schools in an organized manner. Buy a file box (which can be a simple cardboard file box) with hanging folders. Setup a file for each college that she (a) receives information on and (b) which she desires to attend.

The setup an Excel spreadsheet with schools listed down the left side with columns for different aspects of the school, such as... (off the top of my head)
  • Name
  • Status ("Unreviewed", "Reviewed - Possible", Reviewed - No", etc...)
  • In State/Out State
  • Public/Private
  • Majors
  • Regular Application Date
  • Early Application Date
  • Early Decision
  • Regular Decision Date
  • Avg Freshman SAT
  • Avg Freshman GPA
  • SAT Score Deadline
  • Total Student Body
  • Student Teacher Ratio
  • Tuition Costs
  • Housing/Food Costs

Develope a "Tickler" or "Time line" which plans out required/optional activities such as campus visits, SAT Test Dates, Early/Regular Application Deadlines, Early/Regular Reposnes Dates, Accept/Decline Dates, FASFA Application Dates, etc...

A lot of stuff received in the mail can go in the circular file.​

Family Resources

To enhance the research process I highly recommend subscribing to multiple online resources including:

You may not need it now, but I highly recommend it for at least the Junior and Senior years.​

Financial Resource

Sit down and have a heart to heart with your daughter and layout what the true financial situation is and what options are available. Over the years we were able to afford a pre-paid tuition program here in Virginia, we paid for two years tuition at a State University. Our son took that and spent two years at a Community College and is now a University Junior and our account will pretty much cover his 4-year degree. Our daughter on the other hand wanted to full 4-year University experience. She new from the get go she was going to have to qualify for scholarships and she would be taking out large student loads to help finance college. She's financed her school based on pre-paid tuition, scholarships, loans, and recently picked up a research assistant job as a Math Major that will extend through next year.

Make sure you understand the total cost of attendance (tuition, housing, meal plan, fees, insurance costs, transportation fees, etc...) and have a plan for funding those costs because typically student loans are not going to cover it all.

Funding sources typically include:
  • Savings (accounts, pre-paid college programs, etc...)
  • Grants
  • Scholarships
  • Student Loans in the Students Name
  • Student Loans in the Parents Name
  • Student employment

In State v. Out of State (ISVOOS)

This is a really big deal as it relates to finances. If your daughter applies to private schools then ISVOOS is probably not a big deal. But OOS tuition rates can be a deal killer.​

Number of Applications

Your daughter should submit multiple applications. After an honest look at her qualifications she should select multiple "Top Picks" the ones she really wants to attend and a few "Safe Picks" as "Plan B" schools.

With each application there is a Fee (figure $60-$100 a pop), how many applications you allow her to submit is a function of cost benefit and finances. Submitting 2-dozen applications can be quite expensive, one the other hand putting all your eggs in one basket is not a good idea either.​

Attend College Open Houses

I don't think it's a bad idea to attend one or two college open houses as a sophomore, especially with a major school being only an hour away. That will let your daughter hear from the horses mouth (as they say) exactly what the school is looking for in terms of admission criteria. If she goes this spring she has time to modify her Junior/Senior schedule to try to plug any holes.

So visit now or maybe in the fall next year to learn about the process. Then arrange dedicated visits the fall of her Senior year to actually evaluation colleges for application purposes.​

Last edited:

Thanks!

Just some thoughts...

Schools

You daughter should start researching schools in an organized manner. Buy a file box (which can be a simple cardboard file box) with hanging folders. Setup a file for each college that she (a) receives information on and (b) which she desires to attend.

The setup an Excel spreadsheet with schools listed down the left side with columns for different aspects of the school, such as... (off the top of my head)
  • Name
  • Status ("Unreviewed", "Reviewed - Possible", Reviewed - No", etc...)
  • In State/Out State
  • Public/Private
  • Majors
  • Regular Application Date
  • Early Application Date
  • Early Decision
  • Regular Decision Date
  • Avg Freshman SAT
  • Avg Freshman GPA
  • SAT Score Deadline
  • Total Student Body
  • Student Teacher Ratio
  • Tuition Costs
  • Housing/Food Costs

Develope a "Tickler" or "Time line" which plans out required/optional activities such as campus visits, SAT Test Dates, Early/Regular Application Deadlines, Early/Regular Reposnes Dates, Accept/Decline Dates, FASFA Application Dates, etc...​

Family Resources

To enhance the research process I highly recommend subscribing to multiple online resources including:

You may not need it now, but I highly recommend it for at least the Junior and Senior years.​

Financial Resource

Sit down and have a heart to heart with your daughter and layout what the true financial situation is and what options are available. Over the years we were able to afford a pre-paid tuition program here in Virginia, we paid for two years tuition at a State University. Our son took that and spent two years at a Community College and is now a University Junior and our account will pretty much cover his 4-year degree. Our daughter on the other hand wanted to full 4-year University experience. She new from the get go she was going to have to qualify for scholarships and she would be taking out large student loads to help finance college. She's financed her school based on pre-paid tuition, scholarships, loans, and recently picked up a research assistant job as a Math Major that will extend through next year.

Make sure you understand the total cost of attendance (tuition, housing, meal plan, fees, insurance costs, transportation fees, etc...) and have a plan for funding those costs because typically student loans are not going to cover it all.

Funding sources typically include:
  • Savings (accounts, pre-paid college programs, etc...)
  • Grants
  • Scholarships
  • Student Loans in the Students Name
  • Student Loans in the Parents Name
  • Student employment

In State v. Out of State (ISVOOS)

This is a really big deal as it relates to finances. If your daughter applies to private schools then ISVOOS is probably not a big deal. But OOS tuition rates can be a deal killer.​

Number of Applications

Your daughter should submit multiple applications. After an honest look at her qualifications she should select multiple "Top Picks" the ones she really wants to attend and a few "Safe Picks" as "Plan B" schools.

With each application there is a Fee (figure $60-$100 a pop), how many applications you allow her to submit is a function of cost benefit and finances. Submitting 2-dozen applications can be quite expensive, one the other hand putting all your eggs in one basket is not a good idea either.​

Attend College Open Houses

I don't think it's a bad idea to attend one or two college open houses as a sophomore, especially with a major school being only an hour away. That will let your daughter hear from the horses mouth (as they say) exactly what the school is looking for in terms of admission criteria. If she goes this spring she has time to modify her Junior/Senior schedule to try to plug any holes.

So visit now or maybe in the fall next year to learn about the process. Then arrange dedicated visits the fall of her Senior year to actually evaluation colleges for application purposes.​

Yeah. What he said.

Or the nunnery thing.

Forum List

Back