Hello?

Hello, I'm a politically somewhat moderate progressive, who is interested in more diverse political discussion: I've spent a fair bit of time on Reddit, but the nature of the forums their makes group think of all sorts very easy, so I'm trying out here to see if there's more give and take while hopefully not too much incivility.

I'm a post-doc in math in Maine, so I get to see first hand both the things that the right is correct to complain about in modern high education (the bureaucracy and some of the political correctness) as well as to see where the left is correct (lack of funding). Most other issues, my stakes are a bit less personally informed.
We should get along although you'll probably find me to the left of you on some social issues. Abortion? Love it! We should have more not less. The worlds over populated.

What do you think about man causing global warming?

Do you like science? This place is more than just politics. Do you believe in god? We talk about that stuff too. But mostly we fling poo at our opponents. As a moderate progressive I hope you let right wingers know exactly why they are wrong. This place is a blast especially 2016 election year. Hillary 2016! Lol

Abortion is complicated- I do think much of the left is essentially ignoring the arguments that the religious right is making and is fundamentally confused about why the right doesn't like abortion. As for overpopulation, that's a problem which is solving itself as more countries become highly developed, fertility goes down. Japan is already dealing with a demographic decline.

As for global warming, the evidence for global warming is overwhelming, and the evidence that human production of CO2 as well as other greenhouse gases as the main cause is slightly less overwhelming but still solidly in the over category. This is a serious problem which will have substantial negative impacts worldwide, but they will likely be much more serious in the developing world where farming is less robust.

Increasing efficiency of solar and wind as well as diminishing oil reserves may solve this on its own, but most likely won't be fast enough without much more work. It isn't even completely clear to me that society will survive reasonably intact the near peaks of oil, phosphorus, and various metals occurring in a fairly short time span (within 80 or 90 years). A lot more research needs to do be done here. The required research ranges from more efficient batteries (both in terms of maximum energy density and in terms of recharge rate) which are going to be necessary for solar to work efficiently, to more exotic proposals like thorium reactors and fusion reactors. There's an excellent book focusing on the non-exotic issues in the context of the American electric grid (well grids plural since there are three of them, East, West and Texas) and its future, "Before the Lights Go Out" by Maggie Koerth-Baker. Unfortunately, much of the left is scared or against any use of nuclear power of any sort, despite the fact that by most useful metrics (such as deaths per a kilowatt-hour), nuclear is one of the safest forms of power.
and it has very good EROEI.

As for science, well, science is generally pretty good. We don't always do things very well. Have I mentioned how bad the grant writing process is and how much valuable time it takes up? No? Well, now I have. By and large science is seriously underfunded, but it is also pretty clear that funding is never as targeted as well as it is intended to. For example, since there's a lot of money for cancer research, a lot of people in different fields claim their work is cancer related simply because that's where the money is, even though they'd be doing the exact same work otherwise and are only incidentally related to cancer. And the way people treat p-values borders on idolatry. So science good, but we could do a lot better.

As for God, or god, that depends what you mean. I don't believe in any form of the Abrahamic deity (and definitely not any form that sacrificed itself to itself to itself some 2000 years ago). I've heard people define "God" as a fundamental moral force in the universe. Don't believe in that. Some people define "God" as the First Cause, and I don't know if that's meaningful or useful in any way. I also don't believe in Zeus, Thor, Krishna, etc. Did I miss any standard notions of deity?

I'll be interested in seeing how well people's expectations for 2016 match up with what actually ends up happening.

I always do write-ins at election time (see my sig line plus a few more not posted there), and amazingly they always seem to win........ :eusa_whistle:
I'm hoping Donald Duck gets to be Speaker of the House, that would be fun...... :D

Hello, I'm a politically somewhat moderate progressive, who is interested in more diverse political discussion: I've spent a fair bit of time on Reddit, but the nature of the forums their makes group think of all sorts very easy, so I'm trying out here to see if there's more give and take while hopefully not too much incivility.

I'm a post-doc in math in Maine, so I get to see first hand both the things that the right is correct to complain about in modern high education (the bureaucracy and some of the political correctness) as well as to see where the left is correct (lack of funding). Most other issues, my stakes are a bit less personally informed.
We should get along although you'll probably find me to the left of you on some social issues. Abortion? Love it! We should have more not less. The worlds over populated.

Do you like science? This place is more than just politics. Do you believe in god? We talk about that stuff too. But mostly we fling poo at our opponents. As a moderate progressive I hope you let right wingers know exactly why they are wrong. This place is a blast especially 2016 election year. Hillary 2016! Lol

Abortion is complicated- I do think much of the left is essentially ignoring the arguments that the religious right is making and is fundamentally confused about why the right doesn't like abortion. As for overpopulation, that's a problem which is solving itself as more countries become highly developed, fertility goes down. Japan is already dealing with a demographic decline.

As for global warming, the evidence for global warming is overwhelming, and the evidence that human production of CO2 as well as other greenhouse gases as the main cause is slightly less overwhelming but still solidly in the over category. This is a serious problem which will have substantial negative impacts worldwide, but they will likely be much more serious in the developing world where farming is less robust.

Increasing efficiency of solar and wind as well as diminishing oil reserves may solve this on its own, but most likely won't be fast enough without much more work. It isn't even completely clear to me that society will survive reasonably intact the near peaks of oil, phosphorus, and various metals occurring in a fairly short time span (within 80 or 90 years). A lot more research needs to do be done here. The required research ranges from more efficient batteries (both in terms of maximum energy density and in terms of recharge rate) which are going to be necessary for solar to work efficiently, to more exotic proposals like thorium reactors and fusion reactors. There's an excellent book focusing on the non-exotic issues in the context of the American electric grid (well grids plural since there are three of them, East, West and Texas) and its future, "Before the Lights Go Out" by Maggie Koerth-Baker. Unfortunately, much of the left is scared or against any use of nuclear power of any sort, despite the fact that by most useful metrics (such as deaths per a kilowatt-hour), nuclear is one of the safest forms of power.

As for science, well, science is generally pretty good. We don't always do things very well. Have I mentioned how bad the grant writing process is and how much valuable time it takes up? No? Well, now I have. By and large science is seriously underfunded, but it is also pretty clear that funding is never as targeted as well as it is intended to. For example, since there's a lot of money for cancer research, a lot of people in different fields claim their work is cancer related simply because that's where the money is, even though they'd be doing the exact same work otherwise and are only incidentally related to cancer. And the way people treat p-values borders on idolatry. So science good, but we could do a lot better.

As for God, or god, that depends what you mean. I don't believe in any form of the Abrahamic deity (and definitely not any form that sacrificed itself to itself to itself some 2000 years ago). I've heard people define "God" as a fundamental moral force in the universe. Don't believe in that. Some people define "God" as the First Cause, and I don't know if that's meaningful or useful in any way. I also don't believe in Zeus, Thor, Krishna, etc. Did I miss any standard notions of deity?

I'll be interested in seeing how well people's expectations for 2016 match up with what actually ends up happening.
You are going to do great here! Now get in there and kick some conservative ass. You will see they won't agree with anything you say even though you see both sides of every issue. Problem is they dont.

When I see things like the fukujima nuclear plant in Japan I wonder how safe nuclear power is. An earthquake happens in the wrong place and were screw.

When I see things like the fukujima nuclear plant in Japan I wonder how safe nuclear power is. An earthquake happens in the wrong place and were screw.

Not really. Fukushima was a comparatively small problem. We notice nuclear disasters more than say coal disasters because they occur on a larger scale when they do happen. But far more people die from coal (see the link I gave for deaths per a kilowatt hour). We're also getting better reactor designs; one of the real problems here is that safer reactor designs and more efficient reactor designs aren't getting approved very quickly so almost all the "new" reactors use fairly old designs. So we're also stuck adding piecemeal improvements to these as problems arise in individual cases. It is highly unlikely that a Fukushima type disaster will occur again outside Russia and Ukraine (which both have very poorly maintained reactors).

Welcome to the board, JoshuaZ.

Not really. Fukushima was a comparatively small problem. We notice nuclear disasters more than say coal disasters because they occur on a larger scale when they do happen. But far more people die from coal (see the link I gave for deaths per a kilowatt hour). We're also getting better reactor designs; one of the real problems here is that safer reactor designs and more efficient reactor designs aren't getting approved very quickly so almost all the "new" reactors use fairly old designs. So we're also stuck adding piecemeal improvements to these as problems arise in individual cases. It is highly unlikely that a Fukushima type disaster will occur again outside Russia and Ukraine (which both have very poorly maintained reactors).

Didn't Tesla or some great scientist think we could harness the energy from the earth. And the sun is pure energy. We can do better.

If a nuclear bomb went off during the Egyptian Pharaoh days the place would still be radioactive. You get the point. Its not safe or clean. We can do better. But I'm not 100% against using it or fracking or coal. I just think we can do better.

I always wondered why we didnt harness currents in the water. Wind doesnt always blow but currents do. Build underwater watermills. Now I hear they are doing things with currents.

Welcome to USMB, Joshua.

If something happened to modern civilization and we went back to the pre industrial times I would not want man to have to worry about all the nukes buried all over not being taken care of. Just dont like this technology.

But it might help us reach other stars someday so I'll stfu.

Didn't Tesla or some great scientist think we could harness the energy from the earth. And the sun is pure energy. We can do better.

If a nuclear bomb went off during the Egyptian Pharaoh days the place would still be radioactive. You get the point. Its not safe or clean. We can do better. But I'm not 100% against using it or fracking or coal. I just think we can do better.

Tesla had a lot of ideas. Some were better than others. Don't fall into the cult of Tesla.

As for the bomb in a Pharaoh's tomb, I'm not sure that's the case. That's 3000 years.The nastiest isotopes have half-lives on the order of hundreds of years, so it seems like there'd be very little left at that point so it would be hard to be above the background radiation level you'd get just from the surrounding stone. Keep in mind that both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were rebuilt within a decade after the war and the background levels at both cities today is the same as most of the rest of Japan. Ironically, nuclear reactors are actually much more dangerous in terms of pure radioactive material since there's a lot more material in a reactor than in a bomb; the bomb releases a tiny amount at once while a reactor spends decades producing more and more.

I always wondered why we didnt harness currents in the water. Wind doesnt always blow but currents do. Build underwater watermills. Now I hear they are doing things with currents.

We do. It is called tidal or current based power. It works in some circumstances but it has a lot of problems. Most of the easy locations are in salt water, and keeping equipment there is no fun. It also is very hard to do without damaging the local ecology.

If something happened to modern civilization and we went back to the pre industrial times I would not want man to have to worry about all the nukes buried all over not being taken care of. Just dont like this technology.

Yes, this is a valid concern. I'm not sure anyone has a good response to it.

Tesla had a lot of ideas. Some were better than others. Don't fall into the cult of Tesla.

As for the bomb in a Pharaoh's tomb, I'm not sure that's the case. That's 3000 years.The nastiest isotopes have half-lives on the order of hundreds of years, so it seems like there'd be very little left at that point so it would be hard to be above the background radiation level you'd get just from the surrounding stone. Keep in mind that both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were rebuilt within a decade after the war and the background levels at both cities today is the same as most of the rest of Japan. Ironically, nuclear reactors are actually much more dangerous in terms of pure radioactive material since there's a lot more material in a reactor than in a bomb; the bomb releases a tiny amount at once while a reactor spends decades producing more and more.

We do. It is called tidal or current based power. It works in some circumstances but it has a lot of problems. Most of the easy locations are in salt water, and keeping equipment there is no fun. It also is very hard to do without damaging the local ecology.

Yes, this is a valid concern. I'm not sure anyone has a good response to it.
Yes it was nuclear reactors. They said if man disappeared those nuclear reactors would be glowing 3000 years from now. They used the pyramids to today to put it into perspective.

So have you had any good disagreements yet? Hate anyone yet? Lol

You may want to run from this site if you want decent discussion.

What does that say about you? There are thousands of interesting conversations going on here. You just might not be in any of them. Lol

What does that say about you? There are thousands of interesting conversations going on here. You just might not be in any of them. Lol
It's hard to hold a decent conversation, for me at least... I've had a few.

You can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need.

You can't always get what you want but if you try sometimes you just might find you get what you need.
:iagree:

Forum List

Back