Hello

Now I'm definitely turning on the skeptic faucets full force. I seriously doubt that medieval is at all beyond your abilities -- and why bash a very nice set of brains on a dumb wall?

I truly mean that, BTW: God doesn't make trash -- and your brain is just as good as mine any day of the week. Each of us spends our time and energy on something different than others do -- THANK GOD! -- because that way each of us has something more to learn about something until the day we die -- and somebody to teach it to us.

Well.. I'm good at flying kites... can we start there?...:lol:

I am impressed with your introduction and would agree that we all offer differences that are valuable. I'm just a little tired I guess and my humor must be lacking tonight. In other words my heads not bouncing off the wall and the only Old English I'm familiar with you find a Renaissance Fair's..
I like to have fun Darlin and I'm thinking you and I certainly will..

Oh, I suspect we definitely will enjoy a "meeting of the minds" -- and kites are FUN!

I know it's kinda difficult when you first get on a Board and some Lumpy guy comes along and bugs you..Is this your first time on a Discussion Board?

Not even new.

Y'know, rhet2 needs an avatar...I think I can dig one up. :D

rhetavatar.gif

To keep it simple, I'm a semi-retired English prof with two degrees: one in medieval languages and literatures, the other in composition and rhetoric.

And I am NOT a believer in Grammar Police Thuggology -- too much Chaucer and Shakespeare and Samuel Pepys, I suppose.

I adore satire, and my favorite is Jonathan Swift. Gullible Travels is okay, but Modest Proposal blows the British brutality to smithereens.

Oh, not that it matters all that much, but I'm a Texan, family back to Austin's second bunch of imports, family buried all over the state -- and I've got a great-great granddaddy who fought with Marion in the Carolinas -- Mel Gibson should eat his heart out.

rhet 2:

From Texas, huh? I never did like Texas very much; too flat. Maybe it was because of where I was at: Ft. Hood, in Killeen, with the US Army -- or maybe it was just because the earth was so flat everywhere I looked; nevertheless, that part of Texas gave me a lot of head aches. The Texans were okay, though, for flatlanders, that is.

Welcome to the forums.

RO

To keep it simple, I'm a semi-retired English prof with two degrees: one in medieval languages and literatures, the other in composition and rhetoric.

And I am NOT a believer in Grammar Police Thuggology -- too much Chaucer and Shakespeare and Samuel Pepys, I suppose.

I adore satire, and my favorite is Jonathan Swift. Gullible Travels is okay, but Modest Proposal blows the British brutality to smithereens.

Oh, not that it matters all that much, but I'm a Texan, family back to Austin's second bunch of imports, family buried all over the state -- and I've got a great-great granddaddy who fought with Marion in the Carolinas -- Mel Gibson should eat his heart out.

rhet 2:

From Texas, huh? I never did like Texas very much; too flat. Maybe it was because of where I was at: Ft. Hood, in Killeen, with the US Army -- or maybe it was just because the earth was so flat everywhere I looked; nevertheless, that part of Texas gave me a lot of head aches. The Texans were okay, though, for flatlanders, that is.

Welcome to the forums.

RO

:))

The terrain and climate suck.

Which is why the people are so terrific.

Nice to meet you.

Is'n ya'll one ub dem dar redneck gun-totin' Bible thumpers from the hills er from ther mountins?

Or are you from one of the Yankee land concrete piles?

Love to read, hated lit, took alternative classes so I wouldn't have to take lit. If I wanted to dissect something I'd prefer it to be organic and dead. :cool:

Well Rhet is here. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Welcome Rhet. How's Scarlett?

*Disclaimer: The above is for comedic purposes only. I do give a damn, I am thrilled that Rhet is here - I hear rumors that she is a cool poster and I do like a cool poster.

Last edited:
Love to read, hated lit, took alternative classes so I wouldn't have to take lit. If I wanted to dissect something I'd prefer it to be organic and dead. :cool:

Ooh, I love looking at the pics -- someday, if you're sweet and kind, I'll tell you about high school biology class -- where I was forced to be the lab assistant -- by a teacher who hated my older brother and thought I'd be a nifty-neato bit of retaliation to restore his damaged ego.

I don't blame you for those "alternative classes" -- I teach 'em 'cause I understand the NEED to escape the ........... what's a good way to describe dead-souled wooden-brained insensitive, uninspired, SS imitators that destroy the ART of literature and the JOY of writing?

Well Rhet is here. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Welcome Rhet. How's Scarlett?

*Disclaimer: The above is for comedic purposes only. I do give a damn, I am thrilled that Rhet is here - I hear rumors that she is a cool poster and I do like a cool poster.

Good to make connections, CG.

How u b?

Glad you're here. The longer you stay, the more rhetoric you will be exposed to. By the way, what's your blood type and have you had any social diseases lately?

AB+

And I'm infected with Senile Dementia which is VERY contagious -- but only through direct DNA injections.

Small world... I have AB+ blood too. I suppose you are highly intelligent, creative, handsome and socially superior just like me, huh? Tell us the truth...

Well.. I'm good at flying kites... can we start there?...:lol:

I am impressed with your introduction and would agree that we all offer differences that are valuable. I'm just a little tired I guess and my humor must be lacking tonight. In other words my heads not bouncing off the wall and the only Old English I'm familiar with you find a Renaissance Fair's..
I like to have fun Darlin and I'm thinking you and I certainly will..

Oh, I suspect we definitely will enjoy a "meeting of the minds" -- and kites are FUN!

I know it's kinda difficult when you first get on a Board and some Lumpy guy comes along and bugs you..Is this your first time on a Discussion Board?

No

Is this a significant limitation in my value to humanity? :))

Awesome.

You guys brought another wild, ranting right wing loon over from hannityland.

Great. Cuz we need more of these types here.

Ooh, I love looking at the pics -- someday, if you're sweet and kind, I'll tell you about high school biology class -- where I was forced to be the lab assistant -- by a teacher who hated my older brother and thought I'd be a nifty-neato bit of retaliation to restore his damaged ego.

I don't blame you for those "alternative classes" -- I teach 'em 'cause I understand the NEED to escape the ........... what's a good way to describe dead-souled wooden-brained insensitive, uninspired, SS imitators that destroy the ART of literature and the JOY of writing?

Big type and lots of pictures, Playboy and Penthouse come to mind. How I spent my summer vacation was always my elementary school nightmare. How did they expect me to remember everything but more importantly what incriminating evidence were they attempting to compile.
I took one lit class, the first assignment was a short story, couldn't tell you the author or name of the story, but do remember it was engrossing. Read it about ten times to familiarize myself with the characters and storyline. The day of the quiz arrived, 10 questions on the blackboard, total blank. Wrote my name on the paper and walked out. The teacher (the head of the lit department) followed me to see what the problem was. I told him what happened, he offered to let me take the test later, told him I wasn't interested and wanted to drop the class. He said he wouldn't sign the drop form because I wasn't willing to try. Easy solution, I told him the only reason lit was required for graduation is so people with lit degrees would have employment. I picked up the form and he signed it. :lol:

Big type and lots of pictures, Playboy and Penthouse come to mind. How I spent my summer vacation was always my elementary school nightmare. How did they expect me to remember everything but more importantly what incriminating evidence were they attempting to compile.
I took one lit class, the first assignment was a short story, couldn't tell you the author or name of the story, but do remember it was engrossing. Read it about ten times to familiarize myself with the characters and storyline. The day of the quiz arrived, 10 questions on the blackboard, total blank. Wrote my name on the paper and walked out. The teacher (the head of the lit department) followed me to see what the problem was. I told him what happened, he offered to let me take the test later, told him I wasn't interested and wanted to drop the class. He said he wouldn't sign the drop form because I wasn't willing to try. Easy solution, I told him the only reason lit was required for graduation is so people with lit degrees would have employment. I picked up the form and he signed it. :lol:

NOT creative response by the prof. Me, I'd have made you TALK about the story -- asked you leading open-ended questions that have no absolute right and wrong answer -- and let you tap into your own personal creativity (I'm a Bahktin Carnival convert) -- and given you an A on the ORAL exam you didn't even know you were taking. And then refused to sign the drop slip, giving you a choice between an F for non-attendance or an A or B for doing what you damned well COULD TOO do.

But then, I don't like caving in to bullying -- especially by talented but immature kiddies in the under-grad sector of the human species. :lol:

Awesome.

You guys brought another wild, ranting right wing loon over from hannityland.

Great. Cuz we need more of these types here.

Thank you.

I have learned much from that other site -- sometimes even from Leftwit Fanatics.

And I think I shall learn as much or more from my fellow nutjobs here.

Glad you're here. The longer you stay, the more rhetoric you will be exposed to. By the way, what's your blood type and have you had any social diseases lately?

AB+

And I'm infected with Senile Dementia which is VERY contagious -- but only through direct DNA injections.

Small world... I have AB+ blood too. I suppose you are highly intelligent, creative, handsome and socially superior just like me, huh? Tell us the truth...

That's the self-evaluation I get from my handy-dandy Mirror Mirror on the Wall, yes.

But I like taking lessons from fictional characters: and look at what happened to the person in that tale who trusted her own Mirror Mirror. YUCK! Never trust a mirror. Personal safety rule #2, right after the one about sharp knives and carotid arteries.

NOT creative response by the prof. Me, I'd have made you TALK about the story -- asked you leading open-ended questions that have no absolute right and wrong answer -- and let you tap into your own personal creativity (I'm a Bahktin Carnival convert) -- and given you an A on the ORAL exam you didn't even know you were taking. And then refused to sign the drop slip, giving you a choice between an F for non-attendance or an A or B for doing what you damned well COULD TOO do.

But then, I don't like caving in to bullying -- especially by talented but immature kiddies in the under-grad sector of the human species. :lol:

I was in my mid 20s at the time. Professional student for twelve years after my stint in the Navy so I wasn't some immature kiddie. Besides I picked up Oral Communication, learned to write and give speeches. :lol:

Hey, everybody starts with oral communication: "Wa-wa, mommy, pease?" and "NO!" being the most common. :lol: