Hello

Hey, everybody starts with oral communication: "Wa-wa, mommy, pease?" and "NO!" being the most common. :lol:

Some never move past that stage.

Indeed.

and then they never learn to read past the See Jane Run/Dr.Zeus levels.

How can they, with the attention span habituated to 12 minute spurts of happy-happy goo on a screen across the room?

Now do I put in the laugh-laugh or the weep-weep smilie?

Hey, everybody starts with oral communication: "Wa-wa, mommy, pease?" and "NO!" being the most common. :lol:

Indeed.

How can they, with the attention span habituated to 12 minute spurts of happy-happy goo on a screen across the room?

The shrug shoulders works for me, too much exposure to emotive rationalization and not enough rational cognition primarily where politics are concerned.

lol
lets see if this works
PHP:
 type :lol: for the laugh 
:cuckoo: for the nuts
 :eusa_hand: for the hand
:eusa_liar:for liar
:eusa_angel: for angel

the rest you will find in the full editor

Indeed.

The shrug shoulders works for me, too much exposure to emotive rationalization and not enough rational cognition primarily where politics are concerned.

There is such a wide variety of topics! And some very deep thinkers -- on both sides of the Great Divide -- people who say things really worth thinking about!

I'm loving it, indeed.

lol
lets see if this works
PHP:
 type :lol: for the laugh 
:cuckoo: for the nuts
 :eusa_hand: for the hand
:eusa_liar:for liar
:eusa_angel: for angel

the rest you will find in the full editor

Thank you!

This I shall keep pinned to my bulletin board!

very handy visual aids -- and shortcuts -- such smilies are!

Indeed.

There is such a wide variety of topics! And some very deep thinkers -- on both sides of the Great Divide -- people who say things really worth thinking about!

I'm loving it, indeed.

You won't get an argument from me on that point but I find them to be relatively few and far between mixed in with the standard regurgitated, programed rhetoric, generalities, and stereotypical assumptions tossed back and forth like metaphorical flaming darts.

I'm loving it, indeed.

You won't get an argument from me on that point but I find them to be relatively few and far between mixed in with the standard regurgitated, programed rhetoric, generalities, and stereotypical assumptions tossed back and forth like metaphorical flaming darts.

We live in an era of instant everything -- from coffee to intellectual convictions.

Not many have the patience for in-depth and complicated analyses.

Sadly.

I'm loving it, indeed.

We live in an era of instant everything -- from coffee to intellectual convictions.

Sadly.

If it can't be concluded with a happy ending in a half hour TV show while eating a microwave dinner with an instant beverage then someone is to blame for the failure.
:eusa_whistle:

I'm loving it, indeed.

Sadly.
but a plethora of instant stupidity.

To keep it simple, I'm a semi-retired English prof with two degrees: one in medieval languages and literatures, the other in composition and rhetoric.

And I am NOT a believer in Grammar Police Thuggology -- too much Chaucer and Shakespeare and Samuel Pepys, I suppose.

I adore satire, and my favorite is Jonathan Swift. Gullible Travels is okay, but Modest Proposal blows the British brutality to smithereens.

Oh, not that it matters all that much, but I'm a Texan, family back to Austin's second bunch of imports, family buried all over the state -- and I've got a great-great granddaddy who fought with Marion in the Carolinas -- Mel Gibson should eat his heart out.

Oh good.

You're here.

To keep it simple, I'm a semi-retired English prof with two degrees: one in medieval languages and literatures, the other in composition and rhetoric.

And I am NOT a believer in Grammar Police Thuggology -- too much Chaucer and Shakespeare and Samuel Pepys, I suppose.

I adore satire, and my favorite is Jonathan Swift. Gullible Travels is okay, but Modest Proposal blows the British brutality to smithereens.

Oh, not that it matters all that much, but I'm a Texan, family back to Austin's second bunch of imports, family buried all over the state -- and I've got a great-great granddaddy who fought with Marion in the Carolinas -- Mel Gibson should eat his heart out.

Oh good.

You're here.

Yo

I share your joy in the greeting.

:eusa_whistle:

You going to stay in th e kiddie pool?

Until I've got some of the plankton "trained up into the way in which" they don't know they need to go, maybe

Sharks I leave to the pros -- and watch the pros eat shark steak, learning by observation before trying the same myself.

The ME isnt the front line.
Education and knowledge about Islam is the front line .
You lose that war daily.