Hello! I am The Progressive Patriot!

Good day ladies and gentlemen. I chose my name, the Progressive Patriot because to many conservatives seem to believe that they, and only they have the right to the mantle of “patriot.” In fact I’ve been told that it is an oxymoron.

I, however, I believe that progressives are the true patriots because of the fact that we have a vision of this country being truly great in all ways for all of our people I want America to be respected in the world as a leader in science, diplomacy, education, environmental protection and the evolving standards of human rights. I this to be a great and just country for all people, Not just the rich, not just the native born and white people, not just for heterosexuals, not just for Christians, and not just for males. FOR ALL PEOPLE. Patriotism is progress and progress is patriotism

At the time of the founding of our nation, at the time of the American Revolution, the rebels were known as the patriots. Those patriots were not content with the status quo. They wanted to move ahead, they sought to build a nation based on the ideal of freedom and democracy. Yes, they sought to throw off the yoke of an oppressive government , and yes, conservatives today-those who call themselves “patriots”-also seek to limit the influence of what they see as an oppressive government.

However, I will submit to you that today’s source of oppression is perpetrated, not by government per se, but by those forces within government as well as outside of government who seek to thwart progress, and worse, undue much of what has been accomplished in areas such as labor, civil rights, education, science and the environment. Patriotism is progress. Progress is patriotism.

Your name is an oxymoron.
Real original! Wow!! Clever! Actually I get that a lot from reactionary conservatives who have no vision for a better future and a truly great nation. From those who want to take the country back to the 19th century rather than lead her into the 21st century. Why do some people who call themselves patriots hate America so much? I don't suppose that you have anything to say that is actually useful about my post?

Good day ladies and gentlemen. I chose my name, the Progressive Patriot because to many conservatives seem to believe that they, and only they have the right to the mantle of “patriot.” In fact I’ve been told that it is an oxymoron.

I, however, I believe that progressives are the true patriots because of the fact that we have a vision of this country being truly great in all ways for all of our people I want America to be respected in the world as a leader in science, diplomacy, education, environmental protection and the evolving standards of human rights. I this to be a great and just country for all people, Not just the rich, not just the native born and white people, not just for heterosexuals, not just for Christians, and not just for males. FOR ALL PEOPLE. Patriotism is progress and progress is patriotism

At the time of the founding of our nation, at the time of the American Revolution, the rebels were known as the patriots. Those patriots were not content with the status quo. They wanted to move ahead, they sought to build a nation based on the ideal of freedom and democracy. Yes, they sought to throw off the yoke of an oppressive government , and yes, conservatives today-those who call themselves “patriots”-also seek to limit the influence of what they see as an oppressive government.

However, I will submit to you that today’s source of oppression is perpetrated, not by government per se, but by those forces within government as well as outside of government who seek to thwart progress, and worse, undue much of what has been accomplished in areas such as labor, civil rights, education, science and the environment. Patriotism is progress. Progress is patriotism.

I think I'll just call you "Oxymoron".

Real original! Wow!! Clever! Actually I get that a lot from reactionary conservatives who have no vision for a better future and a truly great nation. From those who want to take the country back to the 19th century rather than lead her into the 21st century. Why do some people who call themselves patriots hate America so much? I don't suppose that you have anything to say that is actually useful about my post?
Must be some truth to it then.

BTW......Progressive doesn't mean progressive thinking. Progressives tend to want to stop progress and take us back to 1920.

Must be some truth to it then.

BTW......Progressive doesn't mean progressive thinking. Progressives tend to want to stop progress and take us back to 1920.

Really? Please explain that.

Progressives are NOT patriots. They want to turn us into something we've never been before and apart from what made us great. That's not the definition of a patriot.

Introduction fail.

A country based on democracy? Where were you educated? Western society, including the Whigs in America, reordered the ancien regime when they slowly, at first in fits and starts, corroded monarchy by supplanting it with republicanism.

In the republics of Europe - the Swiss cantons, the Italian city-states, the Dutch provinces - the people promoted republicanism but were reticent to depose their kings. In America, however, a republic without a king (for all intents and purposes), republicanism promised new conceptions of society and the individual. New ways for the individual to relate to the family, the state, other individuals.

Democracy was not a new idea. It did not revolutionize the world in the eighteenth century. American republicanism did. American republicanism was unique; it was the form of government that Abraham Lincoln feared would perish from the earth if America were to perish.

If progressives have a vision for a truly great country, then the American Whigs of the eighteenth century were progressive. The republicanism they promoted is anathema to today's progressives. Progressives are not patriots. Patriots do not endeavor to transform their countries.

Last edited:
6a013486ab0c10970c0133f3877935970b-320pi

A country based on democracy? Where were you educated? Western society, including the Whigs in America, reordered the ancien regime when they slowly, at first in fits and starts, corroded monarchy by supplanting it with republicanism.

In the republics of Europe - the Swiss cantons, the Italian city-states, the Dutch provinces - the people promoted republicanism but were reticent to depose their kings. In America, however, a republic without a king (for all intents and purposes), republicanism promised new conceptions of society and the individual. New ways for the individual to relate to the family, the state, other individuals.

Democracy was not a new idea. It did not revolutionize the world in the eighteenth century. American republicanism did. American republicanism was unique; it was the form of government that Abraham Lincoln feared would perish from the earth if America were to perish.

If progressives have a vision for a truly great country, then the American Whigs of the eighteenth century were progressive. The republicanism they promoted is anathema to today's progressives. Progressives are not patriots. Patriots do not endeavor to transform their countries.

Really? You’re going to trash my entire post based on the fact that you don’t like or approve of the way I used the word democracy? I understand the concept of Republicanism quite well. Of course I know that this is not an actual democracy. However, Our Constitutional Republic incorporates elements of a democracy in that we elect our representatives by popular vote (sort of, we do have the Electoral College and gerrymandering)

Nothing that you have resented refutes my contention that as a progressive, I am also a patriot who want’s this country to be the best place that it can be for all of her people and to be held in the highest esteem possible among nations of the world through leading by example.

Your assertion that we do not want to transform the country is patently absurd

Really? You’re going to trash my entire post based on the fact that you don’t like or approve of the way I used the word democracy?
Not at all. I also said you were not a patriot.
Reread that, please. I said you do want to transform this country.
Ooops. My bad. OK, you say patriots do not endeavor to transform their countries. I explained why I believe that is exactly what patriots do when their country needs transforming. Stagnation is not patriotism by any means.

We are progressing nicely down a path to destruction. Redistribution is not a road to improvement.

Really? You’re going to trash my entire post based on the fact that you don’t like or approve of the way I used the word democracy?
Ooops. My bad. OK, you say patriots do not endeavor to transform their countries. I explained why I believe that is exactly what patriots do when their country needs transforming. Stagnation is not patriotism by any means.
You're an idiot. You think you are in a position to dictate what needs changing and define patriotism based on it. That's a special kind of stupid and we had enough retards before you showed up.

Patriotism is the virtue of the vicious

Oscar Wilde

You're an idiot. You think you are in a position to dictate what needs changing and define patriotism based on it. That's a special kind of stupid and we had enough retards before you showed up.
Look here Weasel, You are misrepresenting me with your equine excrement. Where did I say that I want to unilaterally dictate what needs changing? There are many things that we, as a nation can agree on. Anyone who thinks that the country is perfect, that there is no room for improvement is a special kind of idiot who has his head where the sun don't shine. Would that be you?

Look here Weasel, You are misrepresenting me with your equine excrement. Where did I say that I want to unilaterally dictate what needs changing? There are many things that we, as a nation can agree on. Anyone who thinks that the country is perfect, that there is no room for improvement is a special kind of idiot who has his head where the sun don't shine. Would that be you?
I quoted your post, Bozo.

"I explained why I believe that is exactly what patriots do when their country needs transforming."

Who decides what needs changing, what if someone disagrees with you? You decide and label that person a patriot. Like I said, a special kind of stupid, the excrement is all yours.

This is a republic, if you can't figure out how things are supposed to change or stay the same that's your problem.

I quoted your post, Bozo.

"I explained why I believe that is exactly what patriots do when their country needs transforming."

Who decides what needs changing, what if someone disagrees with you? You decide and label that person a patriot. Like I said, a special kind of stupid, the excrement is all yours.

This is a republic, if you can't figure out how things are supposed to change or stay the same that's your problem.

What are you blathering about, dude? Do you even know? I am well aware of the fact that this is a constitutional republic and how things work. Read my original post again and try to articulate exactly what part of it you don't get or don't understand.

Forum List

Back