hell yea. another F YOU to monsanto

Ok, I will be the first to admit I was ignorant of the company Monsanto so I decided to spend the last hour figuring out who they were so I could make at least a halfway intelligent response. What I learned is very crazy! This company has no ethical sense! I applaud Haiti for turning down anything from this company!!
I don't even know where to start on informing those who don't know about this company... The lawsuits against small farmers that has ruined lives, the cover up of decades worth of pollution, the genetically manipulated crops that has destroyed farm soil, GMOs that could potentially cause cancer... Damn I could go all day with this list! This company is evil and it doesn't help that it has bought up most of the seed companies nationwide so boycotting them is damn near impossible.
One more thing, and this is the craziest part, taking Monsanto to the highest court in our judicial system can backfire, they have Clerance Thomas in their back pocket;

Clarence Thomas

From the years 1976 - 1979, Thomas worked as an attorney for Monsanto. Thomas apparently does not see this as a conflict of interest and has not recused himself.

because you've had read biased propaganda. First off, with infringment cases, how do you know the farmers didn't steal the seeds and just claimed it flew onto their land? YOu don't think the courts would rule favorably for them if that were the case?

And if farmers are so against these seeds, they didn't have to buy them in the first place

I'm sorry, but if there is any truth to this 'Truthout' piece, the Haitians are beyond stupid. Unbelievable.

Still shaking my head in disbelief. (IF there is any truth to the piece.)

And, seriously, who the hell are these idiots who write for Truthout?

Well.

What link is your "have to buy seeds" from, the bullshit propaganda piece, cause I don't see it in the actual piece of journalism I cited

Sorry should have listed the site.... Monsanto gives Haiti $4 million in hybrid seeds - BusinessWeek

BTW, thats the second one you cited... Fourth paragraph down.

That's what I cited, and did you even read it? Or just another dishonest person making stuff up and spreading misinformation? Doesn't say have to buy seeds from monsanto every year like you posted above and I have bolded. Why do people insist on lying to try and further their agenda?

F
armers will have to buy the seeds at markets to avoid flooding the local economy with free goods, but Monsanto will not receive any revenue from the sales, Vancil said. A spokesman for the U.S. Agency for International Development program distributing the seeds could not immediately provide more details.

Apparently you didn't since you called it "the bullshit propaganda piece" while I took it from YOUR cited site! I try to come to every discussion with an open mind Doc, I have no agenda with this other than learning. As I stated in the original post you tried to discredit, it says they(Monsanto) will not receive any revenue from from this donation but I also showed they will have to buy seeds every season after the that. To me that sounds like a crack dealer. First one's free but your going to have to buy from here on out.

Ok, I will be the first to admit I was ignorant of the company Monsanto so I decided to spend the last hour figuring out who they were so I could make at least a halfway intelligent response. What I learned is very crazy! This company has no ethical sense! I applaud Haiti for turning down anything from this company!!
I don't even know where to start on informing those who don't know about this company... The lawsuits against small farmers that has ruined lives, the cover up of decades worth of pollution, the genetically manipulated crops that has destroyed farm soil, GMOs that could potentially cause cancer... Damn I could go all day with this list! This company is evil and it doesn't help that it has bought up most of the seed companies nationwide so boycotting them is damn near impossible.
One more thing, and this is the craziest part, taking Monsanto to the highest court in our judicial system can backfire, they have Clerance Thomas in their back pocket;

Clarence Thomas

From the years 1976 - 1979, Thomas worked as an attorney for Monsanto. Thomas apparently does not see this as a conflict of interest and has not recused himself.

because you've had read biased propaganda. First off, with infringment cases, how do you know the farmers didn't steal the seeds and just claimed it flew onto their land? YOu don't think the courts would rule favorably for them if that were the case?

And if farmers are so against these seeds, they didn't have to buy them in the first place

Looks like you also missed that Monsanto owns a majority of the seed companies in the nation. They've locked our Agriculture market and now it seems they want to lock Haiti's as well.

Sorry should have listed the site.... Monsanto gives Haiti $4 million in hybrid seeds - BusinessWeek

That's what I cited, and did you even read it? Or just another dishonest person making stuff up and spreading misinformation? Doesn't say have to buy seeds from monsanto every year like you posted above and I have bolded. Why do people insist on lying to try and further their agenda?

F
armers will have to buy the seeds at markets to avoid flooding the local economy with free goods, but Monsanto will not receive any revenue from the sales, Vancil said. A spokesman for the U.S. Agency for International Development program distributing the seeds could not immediately provide more details.

Apparently you didn't since you called it "the bullshit propaganda piece" while I took it from YOUR cited site! I try to come to every discussion with an open mind Doc, I have no agenda with this other than learning. As I stated in the original post you tried to discredit, it says they(Monsanto) will not receive any revenue from from this donation but I also showed they will have to buy seeds every season after the that. To me that sounds like a crack dealer. First one's free but your going to have to buy from here on out.

Nate, almost all farmers everywhere in the world use hybrid seeds. The nature of hybrids is that they do not reproduce (well, they CAN have offspring, but the offspring will not be like the parents). The reason they use hybrids is because the hybrids provide higher yields (more resistant to environmental stress, disease, pests, etc.) than non-hybrids.

The farmers balance the fact that they will have to buy seeds each season with the payoff of higher yields (or other cost saving assets of the seed).

So, the Haitians are fucking morons for burning these seeds. They were free. Now, they will have to buy seeds elsewhere and those seeds will likely be hybrids also.

Beyond idiotic.

And, as Gregg said, there is no info on dose of the fungicides and pesticides, for one. Secondly, they are on the seeds. Don't eat the seeds. Grow them and eat the crops.

Amazing idiocy on the Haitians side.

Last edited:
Many of the infringement cases are farmers saving seeds and reusing them, violating the permissive use of their seeds

The Trantham, Swann, and McFarling Cases
In these three U.S. cases, the farmers defended against Monsanto's infringement claims relating to saved seed by arguing that U.S. antitrust law blocked Monsanto from pursuing legal remedies against farmers who saved seed from one crop year to the next. The arguments can be conflated into three main points about the interplay between antitrust law and patent law.

First, the U.S. courts ruled that the patent law allows Monsanto to condition its permissive use of patented seeds through technology use agreements prohibiting the saving of seeds and authorizing the growing of seeds for one crop year only for commercial sale as a commodity crop. In other words, Monsanto does not create an illegal monopoly solely because Monsanto grants permission through technology use agreements that impose use restrictions.

Second, the courts held that the farmers were free to buy or not to buy Monsanto patented seeds each crop year. The courts stated that the fact that the farmers desired to use Monsanto's patented seeds in future years signified only superior performance of patented technology, not an illegal tying arrangement under antitrust law.

Finally, the courts held that Monsanto does not violate U.S. antitrust law on the basis of the fact that Monsanto markets its Roundup Ready seeds differently in the USA than in Argentina. The court noted that Monsanto is responding to different market circumstances in the USA, where patents on seeds exist, than in Argentina, where patents on seeds do not exist. Under U.S. law, Monsanto is entitled to enforce its U.S. patents.

Patent Infringement Cases - Biology Online

Looks like you also missed that Monsanto owns a majority of the seed companies in the nation. They've locked our Agriculture market and now it seems they want to lock Haiti's as well.
Yup. Monsanto provides quality product, thus farmers buy their product.

Unless it's a monopoly, and it's not, no problem.

Last edited:

F

again, I asked if it came from truthmatters nonsense, which if you can't see its a shitty piece of propaganda journalism, then you are not being open minded. Secondly, once again, I read what the article I cited said, and even bolded it, and it does not say they have to buy seeds from monsanto every year.

You made a false statement as shown above, and I"m correcting that. Obviously yet again you didn't read it, as it says no such things

Sounds like good business to me, and the US courts ruled against anti-trust matters. May not be the best thing, but can't blame them for being very successful and putting in the extensive research and development before any other companies, to get strong patents and good products. Again, farmers are free not to buy their products. It's not the evil, fuck the world company that people are making them out to be.

I didn't fail to see anything, its just irrelevant to the lies and slandering that is going on in the OP's article.

In reality, Monsanto is a perfectly upstanding organization who has no intent to take advantage of any of the folks who use their products. They deserve an international "do-gooder" award.

The fact that farmers can no longer generate germinating seeds of their own once they switch to a Monsanto product is inconsequential and is over-ruled by the fact that Monsanto gave these seeds free of charge, and by the fact that they have built-in pesticides.

If you have negative opinions of these activities it's obvious that you have forgotten your meds, or you have yet to be diagnosed. But don't worry. We'll take care of that for you as well, if you would kindly send us your contact information.

Respectfully Yours,

- Monsanto

And Nate, if you were truly being open minded, you wouldn't take such a horrible, opinionated and biased piece of journalism from an internet site that cites emails as sources and other nonsense. And you would be able to see from the get go that is was garbage journalism. That really should be clear from the articl. compare the first 2 I posted, to that one, and you see a clear difference between one stating facts, and the other throwing bias and opinion into it

Now, there are other real journalistic pieces critical of monstanto, but the OPs link most definitely was not

Monsanto's side of the argument about infringment

Monsanto For the Record ~ Monsanto Farmer Lawsuits
another article about anti-trust and patent right issues
Monsanto’s Seed Patents May Trump Antitrust Claims (Update2) - BusinessWeek

Granted, there is a fine line between "good business" and being a bit unethical and a bully, like we see with other giant corporations, but there still is so much misinformation out there, most of the times when I see anti monsanto, anti-GM articles

Completely agree Doc, while looking through sites earlier about this company, it was damn near impossible to find any non-biased sites about this company. I also agree with you on GM crops, there just isn't enough data out there to prove any negative effects from these plants. What I have a problem with is the strong arm tactics(I know some would call it good business) this company has used and their use of pesticides and fumigation in Developing Countries without knowledge of the impact it would cause enviromentally.

F

again, I asked if it came from truthmatters nonsense, which if you can't see its a shitty piece of propaganda journalism, then you are not being open minded. Secondly, once again, I read what the article I cited said, and even bolded it, and it does not say they have to buy seeds from monsanto every year.

You made a false statement as shown above, and I"m correcting that. Obviously yet again you didn't read it, as it says no such things

Come on Doc, from the BusinessWeek site, seventh paragraph down;
Instead they are sending hybrid seeds, which are produced by manually cross-pollinating plants. The company said the seeds produce larger yields than non-hybrid seeds, but that with such a variety new seeds have to be purchased and planted every year.
Monsanto gives Haiti $4 million in hybrid seeds - BusinessWeek

Now you are correct, it doesn't say they have to buy these Hybrid seeds from Monsanto but who else are they going to buy it from?

And just so we're clear there hasn't been a post on this thread where I cited the original source. Everytime I cite a source I take the original one the OP starts with and then look for more sources to back what I wish to say... Which is why it sometimes takes a few moments for me to respond, that and work.

Monsanto's side of the argument about infringment

Monsanto For the Record ~ Monsanto Farmer Lawsuits
another article about anti-trust and patent right issues
Monsanto’s Seed Patents May Trump Antitrust Claims (Update2) - BusinessWeek

Granted, there is a fine line between "good business" and being a bit unethical and a bully, like we see with other giant corporations, but there still is so much misinformation out there, most of the times when I see anti monsanto, anti-GM articles

Completely agree Doc, while looking through sites earlier about this company, it was damn near impossible to find any non-biased sites about this company. I also agree with you on GM crops, there just isn't enough data out there to prove any negative effects from these plants. What I have a problem with is the strong arm tactics(I know some would call it good business) this company has used and their use of pesticides and fumigation in Developing Countries without knowledge of the impact it would cause enviromentally.

tha'ts a fair criticism. But nothing has shown yet, even after years and years, of anything being environmentally damaging with GMO crops. Mostly its irrational fears of people scared of genetic manipulation and slippery slope arguments. People focus too much on science fiction movies

Christ almighty, Nate.

NO ONE HAS to buy hybrid seeds.

Yup, they get a year's supply of crop seeds for free, and if they want to use them, they can buy them. they are not being forced. maybe its an attempt by monsanto to get into Haiti markets, but its not forcing them, and frankly sounds like good business.

Evil, I tell ya! It's just eeeeevil to develop strains resistant to disease, drought, etc. so that areas that are not suited to ag and have a high rate of starvation can actually feed themselves, rather than depending on outside assistance.

And, it's even more evil to protect that technology so that they can stay in business and continue to provide these hybrids to low quality ag areas.

They should go straight to hell.

:rolleyes:

:lol: If only Monsanto had such noble credentials. It doesn't. Even if some of their hybrid soy seedlings drift via the wind onto a privately farmed land, Monsanto will SUE that farmer for "unauthorized" planting of their patented seed. They have armies of "inspectors" doing just that--poking around acreage, and once they find a precious Monsanto seedling, they then unleash an army of lawyers. You need to watch the documentary Food, Inc., the second part of which is ALL about Monsanto which has put hundreds (if not thousands) of private farmers into bankruptcy in order to maintain its monopoly on the soy market.

Evil, I tell ya! It's just eeeeevil to develop strains resistant to disease, drought, etc. so that areas that are not suited to ag and have a high rate of starvation can actually feed themselves, rather than depending on outside assistance.

And, it's even more evil to protect that technology so that they can stay in business and continue to provide these hybrids to low quality ag areas.

They should go straight to hell.

:rolleyes:

The Road to hell is paved with good intentions Si modo, this company may have started out to help the world's hunger issues but it has very little ethical sense. I may be wrong but I'm more than willing to hear about any conclusive studies that show GM plants are non lethal for consumption.

Here's a thought. Plant the seeds and grow crops to eat rather than eat the seeds.

Haiti is complaining about the funcicides and pesticides on the seeds. Unbelievable.

Of course, I'm taking information from Truthout, for craps sake.

:cuckoo:

Truthout gets its information from other circulations. Try elsewhere. This is NOT news to anyone familiar with Monsanto's business practices.

Forum List

Back