Heatwave 'Alice'?

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
Heatwaves as 'natural disasters'?

California debates naming heatwaves to underscore deadly risk of extreme heat​

Experts and advocates are also exploring new ranking systems to add urgency to the growing disaster of rapidly warming landscapes

Climate scientists from around the world issued dire warnings on Monday, in the latest IPCC report on the dangers posed in the unfolding climate crisis. Among them is extreme heat, a crisis that on average already claims more American lives than hurricanes and tornadoes combined.

Though the impact is already being felt, heatwaves are largely silent killers. Often, the toll is tallied far into the aftermath of an event and is vastly undercounted. Unlike fires and floods that produce immediate and visible destruction, heat’s harmful effects can seem more subtle – even if they are in fact more deadly.

Experts and advocates are also exploring new ranking systems to add urgency to the growing disaster of rapidly warming landscapes
We are so screwed with the massive taxes coming to us all. So friggin screwed. With little difference being made to the planet.

I grew up with named hurricanes in the new and later as an adult being run off the coast while on vacation. I do not see an advantage in naming winter storms, northeasters, droughts, heat waves, etc,etc, etc..................

I grew up with named hurricanes in the new and later as an adult being run off the coast while on vacation. I do not see an advantage in naming winter storms, northeasters, droughts, heat waves, etc,etc, etc..................

They're hoping naming them will make people take it more seriously.
Frankly I think it's just a way they can raise the fears of climate change.

They're hoping naming them will make people take it more seriously.
Frankly I think it's just a way they can raise the fears of climate change.
Don't deal with it, prepare for it, take steps to mitigate it when possible. Just give it a catchy name to sell it like product easier for the media kids. I don't like to be sold stuff.

Forum List

Back