Heath Ledger's daughter Matilda in millions row

Discussion in 'Law and Justice System' started by CA95380, Oct 2, 2008.

1. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Heath Ledger&squo;s daughter Matilda in millions row | Herald Sun
    What is your opinion on this?

How do they prove it was not an accidental overdose?

I am not saying that he committed suicide, over-dosed on drugs (legal or illegal), or if he died of natural causes (doubt that though), because I do not know. And I understand that his policy had a "suicide clause in it" and they are saying "he may have commited suicide".

Then this brings up my second part of my question.

When a person purchases life insurance - pays for it for years and years .... if they die because of an illegal drug or legal drug overdoze should their heirs be paid the amount of the policy?

Opinion on this?

To be honest I don't know what I think about this - but when reading and hearing about it on TV ... it made me at least think about it. :confused:

2. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    I don't think they have much of a case, frankly. If the official medical report/autopsy/etc. states that Ledger's death was accidental...then it wasn't suicide, and his daughter gets his benefits.

My guess is...the company will attempt to drag this out as much as possible and hope desperately for some comments from his friends, masseuse, etc. that they could use to try to point to suicide...and in the end, will quietly pay Matilda Ledger $12 million dollars.

I suppose I don't mind an insurance company being careful about paying out such large sums of money...at the same time...I thought that was why medical inquiries were done. I mean, if the fact that the death was ruled an accident doesn't mean anything...then why do it? I kinda feel that unless the insurance company can prove that some part of the investigation was done improperly...then they should not be able to waste the time and money on the case.

3. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,720
    They should pay the money!

4. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    I agree ... "they should pay the money". Another big company tring to get out of paying. :eusa_eh:

5. Jon

Jon The CPA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,281
    The guy was on many different types of medication that he clearly did not need. They can't rule out suicide anymore than they can prove it was accidental overdose.

6. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    True, Js ... but since the insurance company has opened a new can of worms .. it could cost them more than if they had just paid the claim, in the first place.

7. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    So by that logic, every accidental death should not pay out on life insurance because, after all...we just can't know what their intentions were.

Maybe that man MEANT to fall off the ladder and break his neck. Maybe that mother MEANT to lose control on the wet road and slam her car into a tree. Maybe that grandmother MEANT to kill herself by smoking her entire life even though she knew it could kill her. We just can't know their motives, therefore we don't have to pay!

This is why we have medical examiners...they determined the death was accidental...case closed, unless the insurance agency can somehow open the case again and PROVE that it was suicide.

You can not deny a life insurance claim because it COULD be suicide...it has to BE suicide.

8. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    I think proving suicide might be hard when pills/medication are involved. Murder or an accident falling is different ... that would be much easier to prove. IMO

I dunno .... maybe not. :)

9. Gem

Gem BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +782
    Of course...I'm just saying that proving suicide when someone did not obviously do things like leave a note, talk about suicide, give away possessions, take a massive overdose of pills, etc. is kinda like saying that the guy made himself fall off the ladder...its pretty darn hard to prove.

Ledger did not take a massive dose of one of his medications...he took several of his medications in their regular doses for different legitimate reasons. A medical examiner ruled this an accident.

I can't see what could can come from allowing life insurance companies not to pay out on their policies unless there are at least 10 witnesses (5 of them insurance company employees) to state that the death was not a suicide.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. CA95380

CA95380 USMB Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +186
    I agree with that Gem.