Health insurance VS Mortgage

What part of can afford to and don't is hard to understand?

So who makes the determination that someone can pay? A government body? How are they going to judge? By income, what if you purchased a house and you make $100K, then you lose your job and get another making $80K. You might not be able to pay with the reduction income!

Also I heard the controversal lines of the bill read on the radio today! It says nothing about be able to afford insurance to choose not to. It says that you don't get insurance then you get fined!

The quote above is by Obama, who probably never read the bill!

So who makes the determination that someone can pay? A government body? How are they going to judge? By income, what if you purchased a house and you make $100K, then you lose your job and get another making $80K. You might not be able to pay with the reduction income!

Also I heard the controversal lines of the bill read on the radio today! It says nothing about be able to afford insurance to choose not to. It says that you don't get insurance then you get fined!

Now suddenly you feel sorry for people that bought more house than they could afford?

Now suddenly you feel sorry for people that bought more house than they could afford?

Only when it suits their current agenda!

Wow...are you really THIS uninformed when it comes to healthcare reform? Or just this completely STUPID? Do not ask questions about complex issues you are too lazy and/or stupid to understand. It just makes you look like a partisan hack.

He is not entirely inaccurate! Basically the provision reads that if you fail to obtain insurance then you will be fined $2,500-$250,000! If you don't pay the fine (seems backwards because people don't get insurance because they don't have money), then they (the government) can take actions against you to pay! The bill is ambiguous on what the government can do at that point!

Why people say that it can lead to jail, is because they are equating it to not paying your taxes. If you don't pay your taxes, then they can toss you in jail! Just as Blade!
Show us in the bill where it says that. I know you can't do it because it doesn't say that.

Congress.org - : Letter to Senator Jim Webb (D-Virginia): JAIL UNDER PELOSI BILL - NO GOVT-RUN HEALTHCARE . WE DON'T WANT IT.

JAIL FOR NO INSURANCE UNDER PELOSI BILL

The nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation reported that the House version of the healthcare bill specifies that those who don't buy health insurance and do not pay the fine of about 2.5 percent of their income for failing to do so can face a penalty of up to five years in prison!

The bill describes the penalties as follows:

* Section 7203 — Misdemeanor willful failure to pay is punishable by a fine of up to $25,000 and/or imprisonment of up to one year.

* Section 7201 — Felony willful evasion is punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment of up to five years." [page 3]

Careful what you ask for...actually they can fine you AND send you to jail.

He is not entirely inaccurate! Basically the provision reads that if you fail to obtain insurance then you will be fined $2,500-$250,000! If you don't pay the fine (seems backwards because people don't get insurance because they don't have money), then they (the government) can take actions against you to pay! The bill is ambiguous on what the government can do at that point!

Why people say that it can lead to jail, is because they are equating it to not paying your taxes. If you don't pay your taxes, then they can toss you in jail! Just as Blade!
Show us in the bill where it says that. I know you can't do it because it doesn't say that.

Congress.org - : Letter to Senator Jim Webb (D-Virginia): JAIL UNDER PELOSI BILL - NO GOVT-RUN HEALTHCARE . WE DON'T WANT IT.

The nonpartisan Joint Committee on Taxation reported that the House version of the healthcare bill specifies that those who don't buy health insurance and do not pay the fine of about 2.5 percent of their income for failing to do so can face a penalty of up to five years in prison!

* Section 7203 — Misdemeanor willful failure to pay is punishable by a fine of up to $25,000 and/or imprisonment of up to one year.

* Section 7201 — Felony willful evasion is punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment of up to five years." [page 3]

You'll have to do better than that...this has all been debunked on this very message board.

Always have (because I am one of them)!

Note: I support the public option and I am open to UHC. I am just wary of forcing people to get health insurance! Jeezz Ravi do you get them mad at people in the real world who disagree with you?

You'll have to do better than that...this has all been debunked on this very message board.
But here you go anyway.

Imprisoned for Not Having Health Care? | FactCheck.org

Always have (because I am one of them)!

Note: I support the public option and I am open to UHC. I am just wary of forcing people to get health insurance! Jeezz Ravi do you get them mad at people in the real world who disagree with you?
:lol: I'm not mad at you, I just think you're being stupid.

IMO, if you can afford to have insurance you should buy it or stay out of the ER and quit sucking off the rest of us.

But here you go anyway.

You really should read your sources Ravi. It clearly states in there at least three times you can go to jail for not having insurance. Oh it isn't a straight line, but the article admits it is possible. Perhaps it is time you did the same.

It is not only in the bill but Ms Pelosi has defended it and called it "fair"

But let's remember that deadbeats and leeches don't have to play by the same rules as those that have simply fallen on hard times. The "affordability czar" will look at income only. The guy whoi can't hold a job for more than six months will get a pass. The guy who lives in a nice house and lost his job through no fault of his own, will face that penalty or jail. Mark my words. It happens all the time with uninsured drivers in NJ. Good guy - loses license Druggie - gets a warning.

But here you go anyway.

You really should read your sources Ravi. It clearly states in there at least three times you can go to jail for not having insurance. Oh it isn't a straight line, but the article admits it is possible. Perhaps it is time you did the same.
You can go to jail for not paying your taxes...that has been true all along.

True. But Obama said it wasn't a tax. And you actually have to be a taxoayer to face those penalties. Deadbeats and leeches don't pay taxe so...
And if you don't make enough money to owe taxes, guess what...you owe nothing and there is no penalty on nothing.

Yes, and now they have added not paying your health insurnace premiums as a tax. Soooo... you go to jail for not having health insurance.

He maybe really that stupid. I tend to think he's simply a troll, willfully ignorant and of dull normal intelligence (measured by his inablity to even parrot talking points well).
Of course I may be giving him too much credit.

It would be nice to actually hear if not going to jail is in the bill and perhaps provide some proof that is the case before calling me stupid but so far all you can do is call me names without proving anything.

I know the jail time is in the bill and was pointing out the fact that people will have to divert funds away from paying what they feel is needed in their life such as paying the mortgage to paying for something that Nancy Pelosi feels is needed in my life.

That is the real issue here. Its about choice and liberty the very thing that a liberal should be about but for some reason people on the left come up with more and more restrictions on our own lives over time.

As for calling me stupid...you can go FUCK yourself until you can come up with an intelligent response to someone else's post.

I guess by the same method that people who CHOOSE not to purchase healthcare decide they cannot pay their hospital bills after the fact? We all get stuck with those and you don't seem at all concerned with that money. Why is that?

I'm not concerned about it at all. I've always said that I have no problem supporting the poor. What I would ask people of the liberal ilk is why if they are so concerned about the poor, would they have a problem providing emergency health care for the needy?

So what you are saying is that technically, some one can go to jail for refusing health insurance, but the Democrats don't like putting it in those terms because it is so harsh, so they wrap it in glossy BS and you either submit or go to jail?

Immie

Who will be the person or persons assigned to figuring out whether John Q. Citizen can afford insurance or not. What if he can afford it today but is saving as much as possible for his kids college education? It's not money he is spending at the moment, but it will be spent on a very necessary expense later down the road. So does he go to jail if he opts for his kids college fund over health insurance?

And what will be done about those who really CAN'T afford it? Will they be provided insurance at no cost?

Sounds like Obama is painting a big red target on the backs of the rich....again.

The Prez himself said that there will be consequences. Of course, all of those who voted for this monster are exempt...and so it he. How convenient. If you want to make it mandatory...that's all fine and good. But it really should apply to EVERYONE. Not just the underpriveledged who don't know the sweet smell of political success in Washington.

I do hope that the brave lawmakers who actually had the balls to vote "NO" will also not opt to participate in the special concessions made for members of Congress.

I guess by the same method that people who CHOOSE not to purchase healthcare decide they cannot pay their hospital bills after the fact? We all get stuck with those and you don't seem at all concerned with that money. Why is that?

No I'm not because that would be the hospital's problem. They can actually decide not treat people who don't have the money so it would not be a problem for the rest of us. I can also choose a hospital that doesn't pay for the uninsured as to reduce my cost. I would have choice in the situation but Nancy Pelosi would rob me of my choice in order for me to comply with her wishes and that is not freedom.

It would be the price we pay to live in a free society so even if hospitals, like any other business, absorb the cost of non-payments and pass it on in their cost I would be OK with it because if people can die for my freedom then they can at least shell out a few extra bucks.

IF our hospitals actually had the option to turn peole away, then you and I would probably be on the same side of this argument. However, since this is not the case, as manadated by our government, you and I pay those costs when the hospital cannot collect for charges incurred while treating patients they cannot turn away.

I think the right for me to have a sense of choice about what I do in my own life is worth all of us paying a few extra dollars.

I wonder if all those unemployed people who voted for Obama and thought they were going to get free health insurance now fear being thrown in jail for not having any. They have no job and struggle to keep their homes and now Obama demands they get health insurance that they can't afford? What if they have to decide between paying for health insurance and paying the mortgage? How can anyone make that decision when losing their home to avoid jail means that there kids won't have a place to stay. I think a lot of people will opt to break the law in order to make sure that there kids have a home. This means a lot of good parents who simply can't afford health insurance are going to be put in jail simply because they want to keep a roof over there children's head.

How compassionate is this policy going to be when enacted when people opt to go to jail simply because they chose to keep paying their mortgage?

Has anyone wondered what would happen to the home when a working parent is in jail?

Yeah, great question, and it demonstrates how pathetic our 'leadership' is at this point in American history. I still cannot believe this administration would even have considered such a law. Imprisoning absolutely honest, hardworking citizens, for the most part, all because they lost their job,in part do to THEIR inept decisions over the years, and now even more so with the DOLLAR being devalued by more inept stupid decisions, bailouts, giving more inept people "Rewards" for being greedy and careless.

WOW, what a government!!! :lol::lol:

Yes, your right, I wonder how all those people that thought the Obama administration was going to pay their mortgages and buy their gasoline :lol::lol:, it was truly hilarious when Obamas campaign rhetoric even suggested that, and even more so that many believed it! I bet they are really pissed!

Think about this. An illegal alien using false documents (identity theft), not paying taxes, and stealing social services cannot be arrested by local law enforcement. In fact, if they are, they can sue.

Yet John Q Public could end up in jail for any one of those offenses in addition to not paying his health insurance premium. It' s just mind blowing.

Forum List

Back