Health care for children & pregnant women first$n

Allie Baba, you are well aware that within our present health care laws and regulations, no one is “forced” to accept Medicare. Those few who are sufficiently wealthy to refuse it and all who foolishly wish to do so, can elect not to commence or discontinue with Medicare coverage. Only 1.5% of USA’s elderly population are not qualified to join Medicaid and/or have chosen to reject Medicare.

The complaints you’ve expressed specifically target CHP but are equally applicable to Medicaid. That’s because they are both operated as welfare programs directly administrated under individual state regulations for clients with incomes below financial thresholds. Those programs are not undeniable federal entitlements.

I regret that in the rural areas you speak of, many health providers do not accept CHP and I suppose Medicare or Medicaid patients. That is not a failure of those health plans.

There have been efforts in congress to provide federal subsidies to subsidize medical care within congressional districts that are under-served by medical providers. Those areas are predominately rural. The same logic that opposes any increased federal assistance for medical services is applicable to such efforts on behalf of such communities.

You complain of government insurance’s insufficient medical coverage, but you oppose increased federal funds for medical coverage?

The actual total cost of similar medical services is less for government provided insurance and more for private medical insurance. An employer’s contribution for employee’s health benefits is not quite “free lunch”.

[The FICA payroll tax of 7.65% direct payment by wage earners and an equal 7.65% contribution by employers is the equivalent of a sales tax of 11.15% levied upon all wage earning families and a 3.5% sales tax upon all others. (That is if you believe as I do that purchasers, rather than commercial entities pay all taxes levied upon the entities).

The problems you describe with your child’s medical care (to the extent that a service is covered within a medical plan), seldom occur within the NY City and NJ metropolitan areas.

Problems of having to fight almost always futile battles against private insurers are common occurrences within our area. It is private rather than public insurers that are within our area the overwhelmingly more common rationers of medical treatment.

Only those who can readily afford or are able to sacrifice can pay for private insurance within our area. To the extent that any medical service is covered by a government plan within our area, our government insured patients are at no disadvantage (to those who are privately insured).

You’re finding faults with the lack of government services that you are opposed to being taxed for? You don’t recognize the illogic of that position? You’re getting all that you and our congress is willing to pay for. The government thus far has heard you and private medical insurers loud and clear.

Respectfully, Supposn

Actually, you're wrong there, too.

You cannot opt out of medicare. You get it if you want it or not. Those are some of the other ppl I commisserate with..the ones who called Medicare and said, "no thanks" and whom were told, "tough shit, it's coming out of your social security check."

Are you deliberately saying things that are the polar opposite of reality?

The glasses you get are the cheapest of the cheapest glasses, no prescription sunglasses even for those who need them, and no sports glasses for kids who play sports.

The glasses you get from whom?

The glasses you get if you have medicare, maa or ohp....gov't health care.

Ah. Around here, at least, the government programs usually refer people to the Lion's Club, which provides eyeglasses to the indigent by way of donations of used glasses, as well as financial donations to cover things like eye exams. You get a nicer set of glasses than you will from government health care.

And yes I oppose spending any more money on a system that already is fucked up. It's not the state that decides what will and won't be covered...it's the insurance companies who contract with them. And the only thing that happens when you pour more money into it is more people get the same shitty care, and the people who were getting good care don't get good care anymore.

The glasses you get from whom?

Ah. Around here, at least, the government programs usually refer people to the Lion's Club, which provides eyeglasses to the indigent by way of donations of used glasses, as well as financial donations to cover things like eye exams. You get a nicer set of glasses than you will from government health care.

Most of these people aren't indigent. They're just poor. The Lion's club doesn't have enough money to fund all the glasses for all the kids who need better eye care.

All the same, I will remember that...I have a family, kids being raised by g-parents, who are distressed they can't get the boys sports eyeglasses (though technically, they make enough money to buy them outright). I'll refer them.

And Supposd, I never said "Chp" wasn't accepted in our rural areas. What I said was everyone here has an open card and they can't find providers to accept open cards. Because the NORM is to be in mandatory enrollment...which means you're in a plan if you like it or not, and health care providers contract with those companies...and don't accept outsiders with "open" cards. Because open cards don't pay in the same way.

Luckily, thanks to George Bush, we have some wonderful free clinics in each of our very rural communities. They will see you regardless.

Also thanks to G. Bush, we have a "dental van" which comes through a couple of times a year. Ppl who have never had dental care in their entire lives are able to get fillings, have their teeth cleaned, etc. For nothing.

Most of these people aren't indigent. They're just poor. The Lion's club doesn't have enough money to fund all the glasses for all the kids who need better eye care.

All the same, I will remember that...I have a family, kids being raised by g-parents, who are distressed they can't get the boys sports eyeglasses (though technically, they make enough money to buy them outright). I'll refer them.

I always prefer working with private charities to government entities.

It works better all around. If people had more money to spend, including those in the health profession, instead of it all being siphoned off by the government, we'd have no problem providing our poor people with care.

It works better all around. If people had more money to spend, including those in the health profession, instead of it all being siphoned off by the government, we'd have no problem providing our poor people with care.

I suspect people would also feel more of a sense of personal responsibility toward helping the downtrodden if they weren't able to blithely assume the government will handle it on their behalf. I further suspect that if more people who pique themselves on their "compassion" for supporting government giveaways actually got out, got in contact with those they allegedly "care about", and had to get their own hands dirty helping them, we'd see aid that was a hell of a lot more effective and actually lifted people out of their circumstances, instead of making them permanently dependent.

You cannot opt out of medicare. You get it if you want it or not. Those are some of the other ppl I commisserate with..the ones who called Medicare and said, "no thanks" and whom were told, "tough shit, it's coming out of your social security check."

Allie Baba, effectively I'm more and you are less correct concerning this point. Theoretically you are correct. You can not withdraw from an entitlement you do not pay for and are not required to use, but why would anyone wish to do so?

However if a person wishes not to commence or to terminate their Medicare Part B, they certainly can do so. Ihis is a complete transcript from the Social Security Admininistration web site's “Find an answer to your question”, “How do I withdraw from Medicare Part B?".

Respectfully, Supposn

"If you wish to disenroll from Medicare Part B, you will need to submit form CMS-1763 to the Social Security Administration. The form is used to voluntarily terminate entitlement to Supplementary Medical Insurance (Part B) and Premium hospital Insurance and is owned by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).

CMS requires that a personal interview be conducted with every individual who wishes to terminate entitlement and so we do not offer form CMS-1763 on the public Internet site. The form will be completed during an in-person or phone interview so that we can ensure that the beneficiary understands the ramifications of termination.

After the interview, our Social Security Administration representative is required to provide you with a letter outlining the consequences of voluntary termination and of the right to withdraw the termination request before coverage ends. Disenrolling is a serious decision; if you wish to reenroll later, you may have to pay a surcharge.

Termination of Medicare Part B will be effective at the end of the month following the month in which the termination request is filed.
For an interview, call our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 or contact your local Social Security office".

And they sneer at Christians who tithe.

Let 'em. The same people who sneer at tithing think nothing of paying membership fees to various health clubs and hobby groups they belong to, simply because they want to fund the opportunity to do something they like, and those groups don't usually spend any of their budget on helping the poor, like most churches do.

Allie Baba, effectively I'm more and you are less correct concerning this point. Theoretically you are correct. You can not withdraw from an entitlement you do not pay for and are not required to use, but why would anyone wish to do so?

However if a person wishes not to commence or to terminate their Medicare Part B, they certainly can do so. Ihis is a complete transcript from the Social Security Admininistration web site's “Find an answer to your question”, “How do I withdraw from Medicare Part B?".

Respectfully, Supposn

"If you wish to disenroll from Medicare Part B, you will need to submit form CMS-1763 to the Social Security Administration. The form is used to voluntarily terminate entitlement to Supplementary Medical Insurance (Part B) and Premium hospital Insurance and is owned by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).

CMS requires that a personal interview be conducted with every individual who wishes to terminate entitlement and so we do not offer form CMS-1763 on the public Internet site. The form will be completed during an in-person or phone interview so that we can ensure that the beneficiary understands the ramifications of termination.

After the interview, our Social Security Administration representative is required to provide you with a letter outlining the consequences of voluntary termination and of the right to withdraw the termination request before coverage ends. Disenrolling is a serious decision; if you wish to reenroll later, you may have to pay a surcharge.

Termination of Medicare Part B will be effective at the end of the month following the month in which the termination request is filed.
For an interview, call our toll-free number, 1-800-772-1213 or contact your local Social Security office".

Thanks, I have a local number.

so you are agreeing with me that you can't disenroll from Medicare A, and it's so difficult as to be impossible to disenroll from B...and the SSA does everything it can to discourage ppl from doing so.

Gotcha.

You can not withdraw from an entitlement you do not pay for and are not required to use, but why would anyone wish to do so?

It's none of your business why anyone would wish to do so. The fact is, they can't. They are herded into it, and there they are forced to stay.

You can not withdraw from an entitlement you do not pay for and are not required to use, but why would anyone wish to do so?

It's none of your business why anyone would wish to do so. The fact is, they can't. They are herded into it, and there they are forced to stay.

Of course, a logical person would consider that maybe they want to withdraw from Medicare because it sucks like a Hoover, they don't want to deal with insane government red tape, and they would like to be able to get private health insurance, but can't because no one will cover senior citizens, since they all have Medicare. That IS how they got herded onto Medicare in the first place, after all.

Allie Baba, withdrawing from Medicare Part A makes no more sense than withdrawing from the U.S. National Park Service or the U.S. Weather Bureau. Persons not using the facilities for any purpose are not forced as individuals to pay any fee for specifically supporting a specific facility.

Congress has however determined that our population of taxpayers do as a group directly and indirectly support those facilities to some extent. This does not please all taxpayers. I on the other hand may be displeased with some other uses of public funds that you may approve of. As you wrote it is no one’s business if you do not desire any opportunity to avail yourself of those facilities benefits.

Of course in the case of Medicare Part A, you may have a problem if you consciously refused to provide your social security number when attempting to be admitted into a hospital. That of course is (as you wrote), your own concern.

Withdrawal from Medicare Part A is no more substantive than a discussion of “how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?”. I you earnestly want to discuss a person's withdrawal from Medicare Part A as other than a symbolic political statement, you will have to discuss it with someone else.

I was having a political difference of opinion with someone who seems to be intelligent and knowledgeable of at least one state’s public health care systems and their relation to the state’s public welfare policies. I will not be drawn into a discussion of a fairy land environment and phantom concepts.

Respectfully, Supposn

The U.S. Congress will pass a health bill this or next year. Will that bill will be an improvement of our nation’s health and economy that will justify the increased spending (and debt)? [An unsatisfactory bill will be a net detriment to our nation. Rather than squandering money on an unsatisfactory health bill to cover all of our population, we should at minimum protect all of our youngest children. I will vote against any candidate that did not actively support an adequate bill or voted for, or signed off on a bill that is not at least minimally adequate.

A great segment, over 40% of our under 65 population are not covered by any health insurance. Despite the Children’s Health Insurance Programs for States, (CHIPS), over 11% of USA’s children are not covered by any health insurance. Only 1.5% of the elderly over 65 are not covered by health insurance.

I am not satisfied with the manner of Medicare funding but the over whelming majority of Medicare’s patients and their children are pleased with Medicare’s quality of health service. Medicare Part A is primarily for hospital care and is a pure entitlement for the elderly.

Medicare Part B for the elderly is not an absolutely pure entitlement for the elderly. They pay monthly fees and the health providers can bill them for an additional co-payments of up to 25% of what the government paid for medical services rendered (to them).. The majority, (3/5) of Medicare enrollees directly or indirectly pay for their own Medicare Part B co-payments and fees. The remaining 2/5 are covered by Medicaid.

Funding for Medicaid is shared by the federal government and the individual states. Its general frame work is federally regulated, but it is directly administrated and regulated by each individual state. It is less of an entitlement than Medicare (parts A or B). In most (if not all) states, only persons on public assistance are generally qualified to be enrolled into Medicaid. Many poor people’s incomes are too great to qualify for Medicaid. Medicaid covers all services covered by Medicare plus dental care and eyeglasses. Many, (if not all) states for economy reasons limit Medicaid patience choice s of health providers.

Children’s Health Insurance Plans for States, (CHIPS) is similar to Medicaid in all respects except its income cap and the segment of our population that it covers. Rather than the elderly, CHIPS covers pregnant women and children. The qualifying income cap is much greater for CHIPS and less for Medicaid. Both are similarly regulated and administered. To a great extent the difference between the 1.5% portion of uninsured elderly and the greater than 11% uninsured children can be attributed to the Medicare entitlement as compared to all CHIPS patients being regulated and administrated in a manner similar to Medicaid patients who are most often on public assistance.

If Medicare were granted to all those who are now CHIPS patients, many of those patients would elect to pay the Medicare Part B fees and co-payments for complete entitlement. They’d be able to select or reject among all health care providers that accept Medicare patients; (In the NY City, NJ area that’s effectively almost all health providers).

Unlike Medicaid or CHIPS patients, Medicare patients are not administrated as those on public assistance. All CHIPS enrollees should still be permitted to use CHIPS for dental and eye glass services which are not provided within Medicare. It would not cost significantly more to enable ALL children legally residing in the USA, rather than only CHIPS enrolled children to be enrolled into Medicare. We can presume that almost all parents of the other children paid their full share of taxes.

For those patients that chose to pay for Medicare Part B, the half of the Medicare covered expenses that were previously paid by the states would be shifted upon the federal budget. These expenses would be mitigated by the Medicare Part B fees and co-payments that would be paid for by the children’s families.

If all children and pregnant women were entitled to Medicare, our children not covered by any health insurance would be reduced. Over 11% of USA’s children are not covered by any medical insurance. Only 1.5% of USA’s over 65 population has no medical insurance.

If we can not afford to protect all of our children, can we do it for children under the age of 13? If we can not afford to protect even those less than 13, we should at very least protect those children under the age of six.

Respectfully, Supposn

Forum List

Back