Health care for children & pregnant women first$n

I do not approve of our present method for under-funding Medicare but it delivers quality medical care and operates as an entitlement rather than a as a charity. Medicaid is a method for providing Medicare benefits for those unable to afford it. Medicaid operates as a charity rather than an entitlement.

CHIPS operates similarly to Medicaid. CHIPS operates as charity rather than as an entitlement.

Respectfully, Supposn

Quality medical. That's a laugh. Tell that to my poor old clients who can't get dentures, who have to pay for their insulin, and pay $96.40 a month for this great program.

Allie Baba,
To the extent that anything is a person’s undeniable right, it is an entitlement. To that extent, CHIPS is not a federal, (and in your own state), a universal entitlement. Eligabiliity workers would have little to do with respect to entitlements.

The U.s. Census Bureau reports USA children in excess of 11% are not covered by ANY health care insurance. They consider CHIPS for the purpose of the survey, as health insurance.

I assume that your message has a typographical error and you meant 85% rather than 185% are covered by insurance.

Your message then indicates in your county or possibly in your state, 15% of children and pregnant women are not covered by any medical insurance. If your statistics are correct in your case, health care insurance coverage for children is less than the national average.

Extremely poor people can not cover their own medical expenses. If they are not receiving medical care paid for by third parties, (medical insurers), they are not receiving any medical care.

Other than the poorest of people, non-wealthy families become poorer to the extent of their uninsured medical expenses. Only extremely wealthy people can financially survive extraordinarily great uninsured medical expenses.

Loss of income or illness not covered by medical insurance are the primary causes of personal bankruptcies.

Respectfully, Supposn

Supposn, I'm assumin English is your second language, because I never said 185 percent of children were covered. I said children in families at 185 percent of the federal poverty level were eligible. And actually, I think Chp (not CHIPS) goes up to 200 percent.

As a caseworker for seniors and people with disabilities AND self sufficiency here are the programs I determine eligibility for:

TANF (temporary assistance for needy families...cash)
OPU
OPC
OP6
CHP
MAA
MAF

QMB
SMF
SMB
Medicare
OSP
OSPM
OSP-EPD

Tell me all you know about t hose programs. I'll wait.

Now tell me what I know and don't know about the programs.

I do not approve of our present method for under-funding Medicare but it delivers quality medical care and operates as an entitlement rather than a as a charity. Medicaid is a method for providing Medicare benefits for those unable to afford it. Medicaid operates as a charity rather than an entitlement.

CHIPS operates similarly to Medicaid. CHIPS operates as charity rather than as an entitlement.

Respectfully, Supposn

Quality medical. That's a laugh. Tell that to my poor old clients who can't get dentures, who have to pay for their insulin, and pay $96.40 a month for this great program.

Yep ... just don't want them to ignore this point. ;)

Oh, and then there's

EXT MAA
AEN MAA

The only mistake I made in my original post was that our pregnant women get 2 months of OPP post partum. However, at that point they are generally eligible for either MAA or OPU....because though we aren't currently taking new clients in the OHP programs, if you manage to get into the program and continue to qualify financially every six months, you can remain in the program until you are no longer financially eligible.

And the financial requirements for the kids are much, much higher. I'd qualify to get my kids in Chp, if I didn't already have insurance through my work for them.

Respectfully, Supposn

Or the deaf ones who can't get hearing aids? I know Medicaid doesn't cover them, and I don't think Medicare does, either. Almost no private insurance in the country does.

And I should probably shut my mouth before that becomes the next leftist entitlement.

Respectfully, Supposn

Or the deaf ones who can't get hearing aids? I know Medicaid doesn't cover them, and I don't think Medicare does, either. Almost no private insurance in the country does.

And I should probably shut my mouth before that becomes the next leftist entitlement.

Medicare/Medicaid for dental covers pulling and "full" dentures only, and cleaning. I needed a mouth thing for sleep (I clench my jaw in my sleep causing cracks in my molars) they didn't cover it, it would have cost me $200 at the time when I didn't have that much to spare.

Allie Baba,
If your clients are eligible for CHIPS or Medicaid, they would be entitled to everything you wrote of. Then we agree that to the extent that they are not entitled to those services within Medicaid or CHIPS, those programs are not an undeniable entitlement within your state.

I've reason to believe nationally 2/5 of all the federal government’s Central Medical processing for elderly patients is funded through Medicaid. If you are protesting that your state or all states’ financial threshold for Medicaid eligibility are too low, I agree with you.

Financial thresholds for CHIPS are much higher (than those of Medicaid). That’s why only 11% of our nation’s children are not medically insured. Because adults are generally not eligible for CHIPS or Medicaid, over 40% of adults under the age of 65 are not covered by any medical insurance.

I am not surprised that your familiarity with these and other related statistics is greater than my own (knowledge).

If pregnant women and children under six were covered by Medicare, I would expect that 60^ of CHIPS clients and almost the entire remaining 15% non-CHIPS clients you wrote of would be able to pay their own Medicare expenses.

I believe states pay half of CHIPS and Medicaid expenses. In the case as I described, your state’s net reduction of expenses for pregnant women and children under six would be 60% the present CHIPS expenses for that portion of your population, less any of that present population segment that are not now covered by CHIPS and could not afford to pay their own Medicare expenses.

The CHIP’s budget reduction would be almost the 60% of what your state is now paying for that segment of CHIPS clients. Your state would reduce their CHIPS expenditures and almost 100% of that USA segment of population would be covered by medical insurance.

The federal budget’s increase for that segment of our population would be states’ amounts of funding reduction less the additional revenue Medicare is receiving from the 60% of client’s that can afford to pay their own Medicare fees.

Respectfully, Supposn

Supposn, CHP (not "Chips"...that was a bad sitcom in the 70s) is NOT a plus plan. It covers basic medical, and emergency dental. Emergency dental means if you have an infection and need a tooth pulled. It covers preventative dental in that it will provide for one cleaning every 6 months or a year, I don't remember which, and fillings for kids. Who have to wait 6 weeks in our area and longer than that in others to be seen, and then wait another couple of months for each treatment.

One pair of glasses every two years.

One of the other things I do is discuss with clients what plans are available to them in their area (and they MUST be assigned to a plan, except in the most rural of areas, where they are assigned "open" cards and have to travel hundreds of miles to find health and dental providers who will accept them) Many areas have one health and dental plan, and only one, and they have to take it. I know what is covered, dipshit. I also hold their hands and commisserate with them when they can't find a doctor who will accept their plan, or when they are turned away from the appointments they had to schedule 6 weeks in advance when they don't have their medical cards....WHICH AREN'T EVEN REQUIRED OR ISSUED ANYMORE as the health providers now have access to the programs which shows them exactly who is enrolled in what. I refer those jackasses to the state panels whose job it is to "educate" them.

In addition, if you happen to visit an emergency room, as I did when my kids were in the plan, and the powers that be deem that it could have waited until you got home...THEY DON'T PAY IT. My son had a terrible sinus infection when I was on the other side of the state. We went to the emergency room where they were amazed he could still walk, let alone speak, and were concerned about the proximity to his brain...and treated him with big gun antibiotics and recommended follow-up to make sure he didn't actually need surgery or whatever it is when they scrape out the sinuses. Guess what? My PHP decided that wasn't an emergency and we should have waited 2 days to get back to my own area.

That's what you get with gov't run health care. It's better than nothing...but we already have it. To force those of us who would rather go without, pay as we go, or continue with our own plans when it's time for enrollment, is criminal.

The glasses you get are the cheapest of the cheapest glasses, no prescription sunglasses even for those who need them, and no sports glasses for kids who play sports.

And it doesn't cover physicals which are required for kids who want to play sports.

The glasses you get are the cheapest of the cheapest glasses, no prescription sunglasses even for those who need them, and no sports glasses for kids who play sports.

I know, and they fall apart after one year so you wind up spending your own money anyway.

Medicare/Medicaid for dental covers pulling and "full" dentures only, and cleaning. I needed a mouth thing for sleep (I clench my jaw in my sleep causing cracks in my molars) they didn't cover it, it would have cost me $200 at the time when I didn't have that much to spare.

Hey, I saw an ad for one of those things on tv last night....$20 bucks or something like that. Google it! I think it's probably like a mouth guard that you get hot and mold to your bottom jaw, and it moves the jaw forward to prevent snoring/apnea stuff.

I was almost asleep so I practiced mouthbreathing with my jaw forward a little, then in it's normal position. Damnation if it didn't work.

Hey, I saw an ad for one of those things on tv last night....$20 bucks or something like that. Google it! I think it's probably like a mouth guard that you get hot and mold to your bottom jaw, and it moves the jaw forward to prevent snoring/apnea stuff.

I was almost asleep so I practiced mouthbreathing with my jaw forward a little, then in it's normal position. Damnation if it didn't work.

I think you're talking about the new anti-snore one, I've seen those to. The one I'm talking about covers all your teeth and is made of a really tough plastic, my teeth cut through those snore ones like butter (already tried it as a cheap substitute). I found alternatives on (get this) fetish sites, but they're twice as much since it's not for medical purposes. But now it's too late, my molars are already falling apart because they wouldn't do it. Soon I'll need thousands worth of dental surgery all because they wouldn't spring for a $200 device that would have lasted for a decade.

Basically, my problem is I clench my jaw with all my might when I am asleep, they don't know why, I just do. If they knew why then there would be some way to stop it. The dentist noticed because of the enamel on the top of my molars, it was worn and cracked from the pressure. It's not uncommon, just not common enough that people know a lot about it, hell, I didn't even know about it until he explained it to me (it did explain why I wake up with headaches though).

Head back to the fetish sites. Maybe a ball gag would work! Or a sawed off broomstick that goes between your teeth and is strapped on behind your head!

Head back to the fetish sites. Maybe a ball gag would work! Or a sawed off broomstick that goes between your teeth and is strapped on behind your head!

:lol: Not what I meant. There are some fetishists who use medical devices for their strange ways, they just charge more for them.

I think you're talking about the new anti-snore one, I've seen those to. The one I'm talking about covers all your teeth and is made of a really tough plastic, my teeth cut through those snore ones like butter (already tried it as a cheap substitute). I found alternatives on (get this) fetish sites, but they're twice as much since it's not for medical purposes. But now it's too late, my molars are already falling apart because they wouldn't do it. Soon I'll need thousands worth of dental surgery all because they wouldn't spring for a $200 device that would have lasted for a decade.

Well, I don't know if you would want to sleep with such a thing, but it sounds like you're perhaps talking about a bit gag, which can be made for a lot cheaper than they sell them on the fetish sites.

Broomstick'll give you splinters in your gums, and a ball gag usually holds your mouth open too far to be comfortable for any length of time. Also, you drool something fierce.

The easiest and fastest way to make a bit gag is to take a short length of PVC pipe, run a piece of rope through it, and tie the rope behind the head. Again, I don't know that one would want to try to sleep that way, though.

Forum List

Back