A conservative who is for universal health care

Discussion in 'Healthcare/Insurance/Govt Healthcare' started by Michael44, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Michael44

Michael44 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am a 43 year old conservative male. I am not a fan of Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid. I didn't vote for Obama and I generally believe in the principle of liberty, personal responsibility and freedom. I am not for a welfare nanny state and I fully support capitalism etc etc.

Yet I find myself hoping that as a nation we can get some kind of universal health care. (am I being hypocritical because I am against a welfare state, well maybe)
    When I was a student back in the late 80's I applied to Blue Cross and Blue Shield for simple health insurance only to be denied because I was honest and put down ulcerative colitis in my health history. My colitis is a very rare form(thank goodness) where I have virtually no symptoms and no other problems related to it. I was told "off the record" by one insurance agent to just omit that. Here I was a 22 year old full time student who wasn't working at the time trying to get health insurance but couldn't.

Fast forward to about 6 years ago. I had just left a company about to be hired by another when I got struck with vertigo, vomiting and equilibrium problems and had to be seen at an emergency room. Well I had lost my insurance from my old job that I had just left and hadn't even started the new job yet which left me without insurance. So I was stuck with thousands of dollars of medical bills that now had to come out of my own pocket until the 3 month health insurance plan kicked in with my new job.

I just don't believe it's right for people to ever be denied health insurance for pre-existing conditions like I was or to have their backs broken financially because of circumstances not of their own doing.

Michael

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. veritas

veritas OBKB

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135
    I think the only people that don't want it think they are invincible and that they can never lose their jobs. This is ridiculous, but they are intractable.

3. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    So you let your health insurance lapse. Never a good idea.

4. logical4u

logical4u citizen

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +543
    That would be health """"insurance reform""", not health care reform. Most people would welcome that; turning the medical industry to gov, everyone would suffer.
    Most people do not have a problem
    opening health insurance competition,
    adding people that cannot get insurance to medicaid or starting a new program for them
    tort reform
    making illegals pay for their care AND sending them back to country of origin
    medical savings accounts (where the gov doesn't have access)
    tax breaks for paying for services out-of pocket.

Universal health """"care"""" gives the gov control over the medical industry. There a hints about what the gov wants to control in these bills:
    which schools are allowed to teach medicine
    which students are allowed to become teachers
    which citizens (or non-citizens) will qualify for care
    the age that medical care will be discouraged
    access to every citizens medical records (national id program)
    access to citizens' bank accounts
    the limiting of insurance choices (eventually leaving only the gov)
    and the there is the other thousand pages that we don't know what rights are being taken.

5. veritas

veritas OBKB

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135
    Sack of lies^:cuckoo:

6. Michael44

Michael44 Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for separating the two. I am definitely for some kind of insurance reform without question. I just hope some kind of change in the system can be made. I am uneasy with any kind of government takeover of anything but I just know something has to be done..

7. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,726
    Michael44 - You need to open your mind up long enough to read Glenn Beck's book, "Common Sense". Afterwards, then decide if you'd really like the government to take over health care.

8. veritas

veritas OBKB

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +135

yer shittin' me, that's funny.:lol:

9. Midnight Marauder

Midnight Marauder BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,876
    Nice ~ahem~ first post.

No one's against health care reform. That LIE is part of the problem here. The people are simply against this far over-reaching, Marxist PLAN.

Instead of fixing the leaky roof, replacing the sagging steps, fixing the faulty plumbing and electrical, and changing out the bath water, THIS plan proposes to tear the whole house down and replace it with a new, trillion dollar one that still will have a leaky roof, sagging steps, bad plumbing and electrical, and throws the baby out with the bath water!

AND tries to pack millions more into it without any increase in square footage!

The plan makes no sense, and the fast, hard sell just didn't fly.

If you're a conservative, you'll remember the Dems defeated health care reform back in 2003. In fact, when asked where the Democrat plan was, Nancy Pelosi said, "Why should we put a plan out? Our plan is to stop him. (Bush) He must be stopped."

So, what's their big hurry now? With this plan that is the biggest power grab in our history, and won't even go into effect until a YEAR after it's passed?

If it's so urgent, why doesn't it go into effect immediately after passage?

We can take any anecdotal horror story and use it as a basis for a stupid decision.

Pre-existing conditions? Chances are you have been struggling to make that homeowner's insurance premium every month. Why bother? Wait until after the Hurricane, flood or tornado hits. Your leveled house will be a pre-existing condition and you can get it rebuilt from the ground up without having to have spent years paying into the system!

Or, you're clocking in to start your shift at the local "Piggly Wiggly". You count your drawer before hand, and it's short $35. So you go find the manager to get this squared away, right? Wrong! That shortage is a pre-existing condition! How dare you be so insensitive as to try to refuse it? That shortage will just get passed along from shift to shift until there is no money left to put in the drawer anymore, at which time the entire Corporation can go live in Paradise where nobody will ever be responsible for anything.

Maybe global warming got you down? Perhaps your trying to reduce the size of your carbon footprint over there. You know, save the planet or something? Well, no need for that. After all, the carbon levels are a pre-existing condition! They were already high when you were born! Why should you have to pay for that, huh? You shouldn't. So tell Obama to quit pushing cap and trade, trying to make you pay out of pocket for the planet's pre-existing conditions. Who does he think he is, a health insurance company executive?

Or, maybe you're President Obama reading this. Now that you have lead us to this place of better understanding sir, it's time that we address how these changes will effect you. I keep hearing you talk about the mess you inherited from President Bush. With all due respect, you're starting to sound like a health insurance salesman. Remember, the economy you inherited was a pre-existing condition! Certainly you wouldn't be so hypocritical as to expect the insurance people to pay for mine, while you get off the hook for the ones at your job, right? So man up. Every bad thing that has ever happened in the history of this Country is your fault, sir. Unless, of course, you would like to reconsider your stance on pre-existing conditions?

Pre-existing conditions, the demagogue for this health scare reform boondoggle! The only unacceptable pre-existing condition requirements are for health insurance?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,726
    Are you so closed minded you can't accept an honest opinion of what's going on in America?