Health and the profit motive

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
Breast surgeon Ian Paterson jailed for 15 years for carrying out needless operations

This character must be one of the most wicked individuals to walk the earth. Telling patients that they have cancer in order to profit from the surgery.

But this is what can happen when the profit motive is introduced into any sphere. Patersons victims were customers of Spire Health a private tax dodging health chain.

On the day that consultant surgeon Ian Stuart Paterson, 59, was sentenced to 15 years in prison, victims vowed to continue to fight for compensation and called for private healthcare providers to put “patients before profits”. Lawyers for hundreds of additional victims have called for new laws to give private patients the same protection provided by the NHS.

Of course health is a business and not a right isnt it ?

Do you see instances of profiteering in the American Health System which is the most expensive in the world ?

There is already massive fraud in the medicaid system we have.

Dental offices bus in ghetto rats, perform completely unnecessary and expensive dental procedures on them, because the checks will always come.

Yet we have bed wetters who want to copy your euroweenie bullshit here. I don't know why they just can go there and stay with you.

It's also why you can "get a second opinion" in a free market system.

BTW, why would anyone become a doctor unless they were going to make some money? Isn't that really the point of doing anything?

Breast surgeon Ian Paterson jailed for 15 years for carrying out needless operations

This character must be one of the most wicked individuals to walk the earth. Telling patients that they have cancer in order to profit from the surgery.

But this is what can happen when the profit motive is introduced into any sphere. Patersons victims were customers of Spire Health a private tax dodging health chain.

On the day that consultant surgeon Ian Stuart Paterson, 59, was sentenced to 15 years in prison, victims vowed to continue to fight for compensation and called for private healthcare providers to put “patients before profits”. Lawyers for hundreds of additional victims have called for new laws to give private patients the same protection provided by the NHS.

Do you see instances of profiteering in the American Health System which is the most expensive in the world ?
I'm not going to speak for the entirety of the health care system but I will give a few anecdotal differences I see with health care were I live. In my country (Belgium) a gastric bypass consists of an initial appointment, 1 full day of tests and the surgery. 3 Days in about 2 months from start to finish and its done. In the US, New York to be exact I had a friend who did it in a bit over a year constituting at least a dozen doctor appointments. My wife who's American says that gynecologists in the US are less prone to recommend the IUD as a method of birth control, while that's the first recommendation here, for adult females. In my country having surgery means you get 1 maybe 2 days of heavy duty pain meds, before they switch you to ibuprofen. We don't have the big opioid problem that seems prevalent in the US. This what you had in mind?

Last edited:

I'm not going to speak for the entirety of the health care system but I will give a few anecdotal differences I see with health care were I live. In my country (Belgium) a gastric bypass consists of an initial appointment, 1 full day of tests and the surgery. 3 Days in about 2 months from start to finish and its done. I the US, New York to be exact I had a friend who did it in a bit over a year constituting at least a dozen doctor appointments. My wife who's American says that gynecologists in the US are less prone to recommend the IUD as a method of birth control, while that's the first recommendation here, for adult females. In my country having surgery means you get 1 maybe 2 days of heavy duty pain meds, before the switch you to ibuprofen. We don't have the big opioid problem that seems prevalent in the US. This what you had in mind?
Sort of. Ive heard stories about tests that arent needed and drugs that are outrageously priced. There are a lot of mouths to feed in a system set up to make a profit.

I'm not going to speak for the entirety of the health care system but I will give a few anecdotal differences I see with health care were I live. In my country (Belgium) a gastric bypass consists of an initial appointment, 1 full day of tests and the surgery. 3 Days in about 2 months from start to finish and its done. I the US, New York to be exact I had a friend who did it in a bit over a year constituting at least a dozen doctor appointments. My wife who's American says that gynecologists in the US are less prone to recommend the IUD as a method of birth control, while that's the first recommendation here, for adult females. In my country having surgery means you get 1 maybe 2 days of heavy duty pain meds, before the switch you to ibuprofen. We don't have the big opioid problem that seems prevalent in the US. This what you had in mind?
Sort of. Ive heard stories about tests that arent needed and drugs that are outrageously priced. There are a lot of mouths to feed in a system set up to make a profit.
Well the IUD part of it.Although it solely stems from my wives experiences points to a systemic problem were the most effective treatment of a problem is ignored in favor of more expensive solutions. The same can be said for the opioid problem that seems too not make medical sense. If a drug is addictive, why push it if their are non addictive alternatives?

Worse nightmares happen in the government system........healthcare is not a Right....you can't take money from one person to give healthcare to another person...no matter how good your intentions are.....

And in the government systems...in particular Britain, tests are not given and drugs aren't given simply because of bureaucratic decisions, and cost cutting......and a lack of empathy by the clock punching Doctors.....

But... "private enterprise good...government bad"...right?

Getting dental care in the British system is a nightmare........

And in the government systems...in particular Britain, tests are not given and drugs aren't given simply because of bureaucratic decisions, and cost cutting......and a lack of empathy by the clock punching Doctors.....
I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience of the NHS.

I have first and second hand experiences in a government system and the US system. Which I suspect is more then you can say. So I can say you don't know what you are talking about.

I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience of the NHS.

Nope...I just read the stories in the British news..........and then I read about our government healthcare system...the Veteran's Administration.......how about all those who want government healthcare go there for treatment...get to see real government healthcare in action....

I have first and second hand experiences in a government system and the US system. Which I suspect is more then you can say. So I can say you don't know what you are talking about.

Not me...the British news agencies......and our own VA......how old are you?

37, I have a wife who's American. All my in laws and friends who live in the US and a kid, who coincidentally went to the dentist yesterday free of charge.

37, I have a wife who's American. All my in laws and friends who live in the US and a kid, who coincidentally went to the dentist yesterday free of charge.
Actually come to think about it that's a lie. I paid 25 euro co-pay which will be reimbursed in its entirety by my health insurance.

Worse nightmares happen in the government system........healthcare is not a Right....you can't take money from one person to give healthcare to another person...no matter how good your intentions are.....
But arent you describing health insurance ? The healthy subsidise the sick dont they ?

Well the IUD part of it.Although it solely stems from my wives experiences points to a systemic problem were the most effective treatment of a problem is ignored in favor of more expensive solutions. The same can be said for the opioid problem that seems too not make medical sense. If a drug is addictive, why push it if their are non addictive alternatives?
My wife is a nurse and I had to ask her about opioids. Its not a thing over here.

Forum List

Back