Hawaii wildfires: Maui's emergency leader RESIGNS citing 'health reasons' a day after claiming it didn't matter his team didn't set off island's siren

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

The embattled head of the Maui Emergency Management Agency has resigned effectively immediately amid sharp critiques of his handling of the wildfire disaster.

Maui County Mayor Richard Bissen made the announcement in a news release Thursday.

Administrator Herman Andaya cited “health reasons” in his resignation.

“Given the gravity of the crisis we are facing, my team and I will be placing someone in this key position as quickly as possible and I look forward to making that announcement soon,” Bissen said.

Andaya has faced mounting questions about his leadership.

In a news conference on Wednesday, he defended the decision not to activate emergency sirens in Lahaina, saying sounding the sirens would have sent people fleeing into fire.

That’s even though sirens are considered “all-hazards,” including for wildfires.

Andaya’s whereabouts on the night of the wildfire are also raising concerns.

Very sad for the people who died and their families. I heard he was hired over like 40 other potentially qualified people because of favoritism of some sorts. Another blue state run into the ground, when will the dem electorate learn?

Not to sound biased on this issue, but it sounds legitimate that the sirens would have been interpreted wrongly as a Tsunami warning and would have only resulted in mass confusion.

Fwiw, it's pretty hard to not see clearly that major fires were approaching and for upwards of a thousand there was no way out.

But alas, it's America and people are politically dead for some reason that's the fault of the D/R party and Trump/Biden.

The embattled head of the Maui Emergency Management Agency has resigned effectively immediately amid sharp critiques of his handling of the wildfire disaster.

Maui County Mayor Richard Bissen made the announcement in a news release Thursday.

“Given the gravity of the crisis we are facing, my team and I will be placing someone in this key position as quickly as possible and I look forward to making that announcement soon,” Bissen said.

In a news conference on Wednesday, he defended the decision not to activate emergency sirens in Lahaina, saying sounding the sirens would have sent people fleeing into fire.

That’s even though sirens are considered “all-hazards,” including for wildfires.

Very sad for the people who died and their families. I heard he was hired over like 40 other potentially qualified people because of favoritism of some sorts. Another blue state run into the ground, when will the dem electorate learn?

if the sirens are primarily for tsunamis, people would have probably run inland when they sounded.

Freak occurrences often find the holes in even the best laid plans. I think it was the right move not to sound an alarm that would definitely cause some to seek high ground.

Typical blue state reaction to a disaster; fuck it all up, then run away.

New Orleans' hurricane Katrina, California wildfires, Hawaii fires, Michigan water disaster, etc.

This is just how these people are.

Swing and a miss this time my friend.
Try a gun picture!

Not to sound biased on this issue, but it sounds legitimate that the sirens would have been interpreted wrongly as a Tsunami warning and would have only resulted in mass confusion.

Fwiw, it's pretty hard to not see clearly that major fires were approaching and for upwards of a thousand there was no way out.

But alas, it's America and people are politically dead for some reason that's the fault of the D/R party and Trump/Biden.
If it led to confusion .. then the government agency did a piss poor job on educating the populace.

He's probably worried about a lead enema

If it led to confusion .. then the government agency did a piss poor job on educating the populace.
Nobody has any idea on how to do better yet. New innovative ideas are needed to counter the climate change factors.

Tsunami alarms.
Fire alarms.
Hurricane alarms.
Excessive high temperature alarms.
Etc. alarms?

And they all have to be clearly identified as to what the alarm means!
Complete with instructions on how to react.

Possible and practicable?
Or is the answer more in an informed populace that isn't in denial?

if the sirens are primarily for tsunamis, people would have probably run inland when they sounded.

Until they saw the flames. Dumb as people can be, they don't run in to a fire.

The sirens would have at least had people moving.

They never had a chance to even move.

Moving in the wrong direction is just as bad as not moving.

Some things once started you can't stop. I'm more interested in the waffling over using water or not and if that allowed the fires to get out of control.

A fire advancing any faster than people can run is going to catch people. They say this thing was moving at up to 60 mph. Even the bast case scenario would have still had an appalling death toll.

Nobody has any idea on how to do better yet. New innovative ideas are needed to counter the climate change factors.

Tsunami alarms.
Fire alarms.
Hurricane alarms.
Excessive high temperature alarms.
Etc. alarms?

And they all have to be clearly identified as to what the alarm means!
Complete with instructions on how to react.

Possible and practicable?
Or is the answer more in an informed populace that isn't in denial?
This wasn't a climate change factor .. it was a failure of government and the emergency response. Emergency response failed to warn residents - the lead of Emergency Response had no background on this .. so to even focus on climate change is laughable.

Government failed .. again .. and you want to blame it on climate change .. so laughable.

Why do you care?
Some people seem to be ignorant about what really happened and want to blame one guy who didn't even start the fire. Meanwhile the power company is lawyering up and really appreciates the ready scapegoat.

He should have run down the streets with a flame thrower. Way easier to interpret.

This wasn't a climate change factor .. it was a failure of government and the emergency response. Emergency response failed to warn residents - the lead of Emergency Response had no background on this .. so to even focus on climate change is laughable.

Government failed .. again .. and you want to blame it on climate change .. so laughable.
Where in the world has government adopted measures that could have saved the thousand to eleven hundred dead people?

I'm offering you a way of convincing me and others. You could be right but you're not getting any closer to being right by baying at the moon with marvin.

Not to be excessively rude but you need to put up or stfu!

Forum List

Back