Have you ever been a member of a union?

Are you a member of a union?

• Total voters
I think this would be an interesting poll to ask this forum.

Worked at s Union.shop one time.didn't join...I used to be so bored on the night shift, I would open up the Union stewards file cabinet and read the ridiculous whinney complaints..

It was hilarious..( never said anything but he knew)

Him and I battled for like 6 months .because I would work harder and embarrasse him..

They all ganied up on me and got me fired.

Its fuckers like you that give unions a bad name. You were corrupt. Unions built this country and the economy that came with it. 1934-1970.

I think this would be an interesting poll to ask this forum.

Worked at s Union.shop one time.didn't join...I used to be so bored on the night shift, I would open up the Union stewards file cabinet and read the ridiculous whinney complaints..

It was hilarious..( never said anything but he knew)

Him and I battled for like 6 months .because I would work harder and embarrasse him..

They all ganied up on me and got me fired.

Its fuckers like you that give unions a bad name. You were corrupt. Unions built this country and the economy that came with it. 1934-1970.

What?

You mad because I was bored and read private files on ridiculous/ superficial and hilarious Union grievance ..

It was so funny what the bitchy complaints was..

Like " oh not enough tissue paper in the bathroom "

Or how come no Snickers in the vending machines?

Why can't I wear a mini skirt to work?

I was and I couldn't stand it.

It was a machine shop and I was working a metal lathe turning screws. it was a government contract. I was the new guy but was turning more out than the old lazy slobs that had worked there for 20 years.

I used to like to work through my breaks since I didn't need to sit on my ass for 15 minutes every 3 hours nor did I eat lunch at the time. I asked if I could work through my breaks and leave an hour early so I had a little extra time to get to my second job.

Long story short I was told that I had to sit on my ass for 2 15 minute breaks and a half hour lunch whether I wanted to or not. I was denied a raise even though I was one of the most productive people there because raises were not given for productivity only seniority. I left after a year and found a job that paid piece work for testing circuit boards and the owner didn't care if I worked 40 hours in 3 days or if I skipped lunch so I told the union to fuck off

I have been a union member, a union organizer and a full-time elected union officer. As a union representative and later as an attorney I represented bargaining unit employees in disciplinary hearings and other matters before arbitrators and various Federal and State agencies. I also negotiated labor/management agreements for both government and private sector unions.

A good union is the best thing that could happen to working men and woman and a bad union is the very worst thing that could happen to them. I don't believe in closed shops. I believe if a union is doing its job workers will know it and they will sign up. There will always be a few freeloaders, but not many.

I'm an old man now (77) and looking back over my life my greatest achievements were the jobs I saved for those workers who received termination notices. I had a passionate defense for these men and women. I presented the evidence as best I could, professionally and forcefully. I argued that an employment termination was the industrial equivalent of the death penalty and should be applied only in the most egregious of circumstances and even then only if the employee was beyond redemption. I reminded the decision maker that a termination was more than the loss of a single job; it was an event which would follow a man throughout his entire lifetime. A man who has been fired may never find gainful employment again and often the loss of a job results in divorce and the disintegration of entire families. I made damn sure that the decision maker was fully aware of the far-reaching impact of his decision. I had one arbitrator tell me privately after a hearing that he was going to fire the employee but was moved by my presentation to give him another chance and issued a suspension instead. That's something I could never forget.
You describe the one thing I found bad with the Unions. No matter how incompetent, stupid, or lazy was the member the Union was always defending them. In some cases there was nothing they could do, such as bring a gun to work or alcohol/drug use. But other than that the morons were defended. I really didn't have a problem with that since setting the bar low was protection for me, but I never really needed the protection.

Was UAW for over 30yrs and retired.

I have no problem with private sector unions, as they are in the marketplace with everyone else.

On the other hand, public sector unions are persona non grata in my book.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

I have been a union member, a union organizer and a full-time elected union officer. As a union representative and later as an attorney I represented bargaining unit employees in disciplinary hearings and other matters before arbitrators and various Federal and State agencies. I also negotiated labor/management agreements for both government and private sector unions.

A good union is the best thing that could happen to working men and woman and a bad union is the very worst thing that could happen to them. I don't believe in closed shops. I believe if a union is doing its job workers will know it and they will sign up. There will always be a few freeloaders, but not many.

I'm an old man now (77) and looking back over my life my greatest achievements were the jobs I saved for those workers who received termination notices. I had a passionate defense for these men and women. I presented the evidence as best I could, professionally and forcefully. I argued that an employment termination was the industrial equivalent of the death penalty and should be applied only in the most egregious of circumstances and even then only if the employee was beyond redemption. I reminded the decision maker that a termination was more than the loss of a single job; it was an event which would follow a man throughout his entire lifetime. A man who has been fired may never find gainful employment again and often the loss of a job results in divorce and the disintegration of entire families. I made damn sure that the decision maker was fully aware of the far-reaching impact of his decision. I had one arbitrator tell me privately after a hearing that he was going to fire the employee but was moved by my presentation to give him another chance and issued a suspension instead. That's something I could never forget.

If unions are so great, why do so many Republicans try and break them? Reagan was the president of his union, but decided other professions did not deserve collective representation, and conservatives, especially conservatives belonging to unions loved him for it.

Conservatives regularly condemn unions, especially those in the public sector. Is their criticism from experience, derived from actual data, or just more parroting of what FOX news tells them?

After WWII, and during the 50s and 60s, when union membership was at one of its highest points, income inequality was a fraction of what it is today. Corporations paid considerably taxes as did the very rich. Prosperity was spread much more evenly.

Instead of tax cuts, given in the hope for reinvestment, tax incentives were used to guarantee reinvestment. Growth back then was unparalleled.

Also, it was the influence of unions that brought many government safety regulations that protected all working people. Unfortunately, conservatives call such regulations "job killers". Is corporate profit so important to conservatives that workers should be injured, maimed, or even killed to protect the bottom line?

Union influence also help create regulations that protect workers' rights. Conservatives also call these regulations "job killers." Conservatives consistently side with employers, and would permit the elimination of all regulations that protect workers, consumers, small investors, their children, or anything else that might dip into businesses' profits.

Since Reagan, the word "union" has been seen as a profanity by conservatives. Over the years, their posts on these message boards have proven this many, many times.

Sir, what is your opinion on these points?

Republicans are great for business and horrible for employment.

Why would it be interesting to ask?
Because the jackass party cocksuckers in this forum constantly try to say that the non-jackasses are anti-union.

While the individual non jackass types might be all in on the Union, and should be. The goofballs they vote into office are not. It's a phenomenon known as voting against your own best interests. And this phenomenon cuts across many issues. Not just unions

My only "run in" with a Union was as a young engineer. I was working late and the union techs went home. So I picked up a soldering iron and finished the circuit I needed myself. A steward came out of nowhere and read me the riot act. She filed a union grievance against me and I had a meeting with my supervisor, the steward and the tech supervisor. I got a warning that a second grievance would be time off without pay and a third was grounds for termination.

After a 35-year career in IT, I joined a union when I changed careers two years ago.

The union dues pay all legal expenses in case of civil or criminal prosecution so it's worth the cost.
Why is that worth the cost? Are you doing a lot of things you're getting charged with crimes for?

Also did a bunch of trade shows at the McCormick place in Chicago.. Union "electricians" was hilarious walking around making $50 bucks an hour pushing a shopping cart filled with extension cords..

Or when a Japanese vendor , who didn't know the "Union " rules wired up there machines..and Union workers late at night squirted the machines with cheese wiz..

McCormick place brings back memories..

I remember one time my Japanese boss throws on my desk a huge file of cute girl models / resumes.

And told me to pick one to hire for the trade show...

Yeah......."union" is a very foreign concept in Asia. Can't image the concept is very popular there, either.

Yes in two over working years, Still in one till death. Some unions are not worth the paper their charter is printed on anymore, And some are having a lot harder times because of their dimshitscum connections. The last election was won by Trump because a lot of union workers kicked shitbitch to the curb as what she and her party really are ANTI MIDDLE CLASS WORKER SCUM !!!

When someone in a union "till death" votes for Republicans, a party that is actively and overtly working against labor unions, you are reminded of the Dumbing Down of America, and realize why union membership is shrinking.

I was a member of a municipal union that used my union dues to support political issues that I didn't agree with. After a prolonged lawsuit that practice was ended. Municipal unions are good if they are kept in check. In small communities and jurisdictions municipal unions can kill the goose that laid the golden egg

I was not in the union but was on a union job so had to work under their rules. I ran about 400' of electrical conduit the first day. The IBEW guy came by and freaked the hell out. I was only allowed to do 100' per day. They made me sit there for three more days, eight hours until the conduit was accounted for.

Finally got that out of the way and got back to work. Needed a chunk of 2x4 for a brace so went and grabbed one from the garbage pile and screwed it in to place. Here came the fucking framing guy all wigged out. I had to remove the block, make a formal request for one and wait 4 damn hours for a framer to come out in a damn block.

They had union porta toilets and non union ones. With a guard checking union cards. Ridiculous.

I had a few more run ins but the job was finally ending and these union idiots come around trying to get me to join. Since I already made the same or more why would I subject myself to that shit? I told them I would never join a union. What a joke.

I was not in the union but was on a union job so had to work under their rules. I ran about 400' of electrical conduit the first day. The IBEW guy came by and freaked the hell out. I was only allowed to do 100' per day. They made me sit there for three more days, eight hours until the conduit was accounted for.

Finally got that out of the way and got back to work. Needed a chunk of 2x4 for a brace so went and grabbed one from the garbage pile and screwed it in to place. Here came the fucking framing guy all wigged out. I had to remove the block, make a formal request for one and wait 4 damn hours for a framer to come out in a damn block.

They had union porta toilets and non union ones. With a guard checking union cards. Ridiculous.

I had a few more run ins but the job was finally ending and these union idiots come around trying to get me to join. Since I already made the same or more why would I subject myself to that shit? I told them I would never join a union. What a joke.

That's a cute story. Too bad it wasn't true.

Disgruntled ex employees blaming the Union for all their problems is typical for the anti union crowd. They blame the union when in fact they were incapable of doing the work for one reason or another.

That's a cute story. Too bad it wasn't true.
Sadly it's all true. And your reaction is what I've come to expect from people like you.

Forum List

Back