Have we turned our prisons into hotels?

You are correct, convicts have a hell of a time finding work when they get out because people don't want to deal with them, however if they have it in their head that prison really isn't all that bad, it does less to deter them from committing a crime.

Convicts should NOT have an easy time finding a job. Why should someone who has already proven an inability to live within societal confines be given any leeway by that society in the future?

I was at my barbers a couple weeks ago and there was a gentleman in there talking to a few people about the time he had spent in prison, according to him it was not all that bad. He said you can buy pretty much whatever you want from the commissary Air Jordans, magazines, candy, popcorn etc etc he said you can buy food to put in the microwave too in case you don't like what they have in the cafeteria. You have access to computers, you can watch movies in your sparetime, and you get work detail during the day to get you out of your cell, this guy said its like being in an all male college.:eek: he didn't make it seem that he had a bad time there and he said he could easily deal with going back if he had to, have we turned our prisons into hotels? Prison is supposed to be something to deter people from doing wrong, because they want to avoid going to prison, but if they view prison as something thats not that bad and in some cases like a family re-union, do we need to make things tougher in our prisons so people won't want to keep going back?

So, you're basing your opinion on a guy who is a convicted felon. Good Luck with that. High gravity, indeed........:booze:

Why not? he's spent time in prison and has more knowledge of it than people who never been and go off hypotheticals.

You are correct, convicts have a hell of a time finding work when they get out because people don't want to deal with them, however if they have it in their head that prison really isn't all that bad, it does less to deter them from committing a crime.

Convicts should NOT have an easy time finding a job. Why should someone who has already proven an inability to live within societal confines be given any leeway by that society in the future?

You are correct it should not be easy.

What I notice is that people who get convicted of something only worry about the death penalty when they are facing it, not when they are carrying out their crimes. I doubt guys like Charles Manson, John Wayne Gacey, Jeffrey Dahmer and the Craigslist Killer were like "Oh no I should stop killing people because I might face the death penalty". Plus you are correct the whole process for the death penalty in our country is a joke, you can keep filing appeals and probably die of old age before you even see the electric chair or gas chamber or whatever.

It's a deterent in a couple of ways....

First and foremost; please show me an executed criminal who has ever gotten a traffic ticket after their execution, nevermind committed another serious crime.

Secondly, the gas chamber or electric chair are ineffective deterents. Ever see a video of a man doing the "rope dance"? THAT is a deterent.

What I notice is that people who get convicted of something only worry about the death penalty when they are facing it, not when they are carrying out their crimes. I doubt guys like Charles Manson, John Wayne Gacey, Jeffrey Dahmer and the Craigslist Killer were like "Oh no I should stop killing people because I might face the death penalty". Plus you are correct the whole process for the death penalty in our country is a joke, you can keep filing appeals and probably die of old age before you even see the electric chair or gas chamber or whatever.

It's a deterent in a couple of ways....

First and foremost; please show me an executed criminal who has ever gotten a traffic ticket after their execution, nevermind committed another serious crime.

Secondly, the gas chamber or electric chair are ineffective deterents. Ever see a video of a man doing the "rope dance"? THAT is a deterent.

I understand that but I don't think these guys are really thinking about the death penalty while they are committing their crimes, only when they are faced that with that possibility in the court room and by than its too late.

Not really. In a hotel, you pay to stay, in a prison someone else pays.
You know everyone is a criminal
You don't get to wonder the halls at night
And someone else turns out the lights.

The violence is no different in prison than in the streets they roam when out.

All we do is warehouse them when they aren't doing other things.

We should adopt the Japs way of handling criminals.

How do the Japanese handle it?

So basically once one has broken the law his/her worth to society is over? What about those that attain an education while locked up?

Chose not to work; sit in the middle of your cell from rack out to lights out.
Wanna talk; raise your hand to get a CO to come over so you can get permission to do so.
Inspections daily. Hair clean, shaved, nails checked for dirt and approved length.

In bootcamp, think how the screwups got treated and turn that into months and years.

So basically once one has broken the law his/her worth to society is over?

In my mind, yes; so long as it's an arrestable offense. I'm not talking about parking tickets, jaywalking, or speeding here.

What about those that attain an education while locked up?

They should not have that option, in my mind.

Why not? There has been multiple students(convicts) that have gone through the program I do with the Correctional facilities(8) around Oklahoma and we have a 0.35% recidivism rate. Which means only one exconvict has returned to prison. The rest have moved on in life and landed great positions. What's wrong with this?

Chose not to work; sit in the middle of your cell from rack out to lights out.
Wanna talk; raise your hand to get a CO to come over so you can get permission to do so.
Inspections daily. Hair clean, shaved, nails checked for dirt and approved length.

In bootcamp, think how the screwups got treated and turn that into months and years.

I think thats Military prisons like Miramar and Leavenworth work over here too in the US.

I have searched for corroborating evidence, however results are in Spanish - not helpful; I'll keep trying.

Most Mexicans fear prison in their country because the conditions are horrid, but I believe it is because conviction shames the entire family, not just the inmate. In rural areas, the inmates are housed in corrugated tin roofs under blazing sun without air circulation. Family must bring food daily to their loved ones. No guaranteed beds, filthy surroundings, no TVs or Air Jordans (crazy making!) just you, people like you and a miserable existence are found in Mexican jails.

I don't support inhumane conditions, however I like that these are places that make people think twice before committing that crime.

Why not? There has been multiple students(convicts) that have gone through the program I do with the Correctional facilities(8) around Oklahoma and we have a 0.35% recidivism rate. Which means only one exconvict has returned to prison. The rest have moved on in life and landed great positions. What's wrong with this?

I'm not a believer in rehabilitation. I'm a believer that Prison should be PUNISHMENT. It should not be a place to go and "better" yourself AT MY/SOCIETY'S EXPENSE. Especially since you're there because you refused to follow society's rules to begin with.

It should be a place you go and the moment you leave it, you never want to even THINK about going back there. It should make HELL look like DisneyLand.

I'm not a believer in rehabilitation. I'm a believer that Prison should be PUNISHMENT. It should not be a place to go and "better" yourself AT MY/SOCIETY'S EXPENSE. Especially since you're there because you refused to follow society's rules to begin with.

It should be a place you go and the moment you leave it, you never want to even THINK about going back there. It should make HELL look like DisneyLand.

I guess I should be lucky you're not the director of my program then :lol:

Forum List

Back