Have we turned our prisons into hotels?

I wonder what the Michelin
ACOF_091211_1_rating.jpg
rating is for this place?

maximum-security-prison.jpg

Three stars do you think, or four?

Compared to some countries its a 5 star resort.

I wonder what the Micheline rating is for this place?

maximum-security-prison.jpg

Three stars do you think, or four?

You and me might find that place terrible, but alot of people don't really mind being there. Compared to prisons in other countries, our prisons ARE 3 star hotels!

Which countries are those?

Our prisons are overcrowded hell holes. They are hate factories which make casual criminals into hardened ones.

LOL...you are joking right? Try just about any south east asian country and mexico for starts.

Our prisons are fucked up. There is a vast difference between punishment designed to encourage a person to never want to go there, and what some of our prisons are.

Prisoners should be provided with safety and a minimal amount of calories a day and that is it. But they should NOT be subject to inhumane treatment simply because they broke the law, no matter which laws they broke.

Also, those who say they shouldn't have access to tools which would help them assimilate into society better upon their release are crazy.

So you would prefer someone getting locked up for having a joint never get out of prison? How many of you people are perfect and never committed a crime which you were not caught for? Before you answer remember underage drinking is A CRIME!

In terms of moral crimes like possession of marijuana, I want the suspect executed on the spot, but that's a different topic.

I'm not going to comment for anyone else, but my first drink was two weeks AFTER my twenty-first birthday.

So you've never once committed a crime that was an arrestable offense? You never consumed an alcoholic drink in an unlicensed public place? You never got drunk and were in public? You never sped a certain speed above the limit (depends on the state you live in)? You never peed in public? You've never bought cough medicine under 18 (again depends on your state)?

The following refers to an ominous development in the American Criminal Justice System, with emphasis on the privatization of prisons. This is an extremely menacing situation:

(Excerpt)

A judicial misconduct case that has garnered statewide and national attention ended Friday with former Luzerne County Judge Mark Ciavarella convicted of racketeering by a jury in Scranton after he was accused of accepting kickbacks in exchange for sending juvenile criminal offenders to for-profit detention centers.

Ciavarella and another Luzerne County judge, Michael Conahan, were accused of taking $2 million in bribes from those connected to the PA Child Care and Western PA Child Care detention centers and extorting hundreds of thousands of dollars from the facilities’ co-owner. Ciavarella, who presided over the juvenile court in Luzerne, claimed the payments were legal.

Go here for the whole story:
Judge convicted of racketeering | Philadelphia Business Journal

I was at my barbers a couple weeks ago and there was a gentleman in there talking to a few people about the time he had spent in prison, according to him it was not all that bad. He said you can buy pretty much whatever you want from the commissary Air Jordans, magazines, candy, popcorn etc etc he said you can buy food to put in the microwave too in case you don't like what they have in the cafeteria. You have access to computers, you can watch movies in your sparetime, and you get work detail during the day to get you out of your cell, this guy said its like being in an all male college.:eek: he didn't make it seem that he had a bad time there and he said he could easily deal with going back if he had to, have we turned our prisons into hotels? Prison is supposed to be something to deter people from doing wrong, because they want to avoid going to prison, but if they view prison as something thats not that bad and in some cases like a family re-union, do we need to make things tougher in our prisons so people won't want to keep going back?

You are overlooking one thing. People in prison have been deprived of their freedom. Give anyone a choice between going to the swankiest, country-club like prison in the entire world as opposed to remaining free in society, and I submit that no one would opt for prison.

The guy referenced in your post who said he could "easily go back," made the all-important qualification to that statement: "if I had to." If he DIDN'T have to, you think he would? Of course not.

In spite of your attempt to characterize prison as a fun place, the reality is anything but. For openers, your "roommates" generally do not come from the higher echelons of society. And your "caretakers" quite often do not treat you with anywhere near the respect you may think you deserve.

You can go to prison if you wish. I'd rather not.

Edit Note: For all of you who think our prisons are too soft on the inmates, I have two words for you: Pelican Bay.

Last edited:
I was at my barbers a couple weeks ago and there was a gentleman in there talking to a few people about the time he had spent in prison, according to him it was not all that bad. He said you can buy pretty much whatever you want from the commissary Air Jordans, magazines, candy, popcorn etc etc he said you can buy food to put in the microwave too in case you don't like what they have in the cafeteria. You have access to computers, you can watch movies in your sparetime, and you get work detail during the day to get you out of your cell, this guy said its like being in an all male college.:eek: he didn't make it seem that he had a bad time there and he said he could easily deal with going back if he had to, have we turned our prisons into hotels? Prison is supposed to be something to deter people from doing wrong, because they want to avoid going to prison, but if they view prison as something thats not that bad and in some cases like a family re-union, do we need to make things tougher in our prisons so people won't want to keep going back?

You are overlooking one thing. People in prison have been deprived of their freedom. Give anyone a choice between going to the swankiest, country-club like prison in the entire world as opposed to remaining free in society, and I submit that no one would opt for prison.

The guy referenced in your post who said he could "easily go back," made the all-important qualification to that statement: "if I had to." If he DIDN'T have to, you think he would? Of course not.

In spite of your attempt to characterize prison as a fun place, the reality is anything but. For openers, your "roommates" generally do not come from the higher echelons of society. And your "caretakers" quite often do not treat you with anywhere near the respect you may think you deserve.

Edit Note: For all of you who think our prisons are too soft on the inmates, I have two words for you: Pelican Bay.

And...

I would have ALL prisons made into pelican bays! All of them locked into little well controlled boxes....

Some folks are just not smart George. The rest of us realize that the biggest determent that prison has going for it is exactly as you said. They take away your freedom. That right there is enough of a deterrent to dissuade most people from wanting anything to do with prison, those who it isn't aren't likely to be any less dissuaded by anything more that is done to prisoners. Unless you're a total fucking nut who believes we should allow our inmates to beat up and rape each other as they see fit, which a few on here are that dumb.

So you've never once committed a crime that was an arrestable offense? You never consumed an alcoholic drink in an unlicensed public place? You never got drunk and were in public? You never sped a certain speed above the limit (depends on the state you live in)? You never peed in public? You've never bought cough medicine under 18 (again depends on your state)?

I've never consumed alcohol in a public place, period. About the fastest I drive in 70-75 mph. Never peed in a public place. Back in the day and age of my youth, the cough medicine thing wasn't an issue, and my parents did most of the shopping anyway.

I really can't think of any arrestable offense that I've ever committed. I won't say with 100% certainty that I haven't, but I can't think of anything. I was taught to OBEY the law, regardless of whether I agree with it or not..... or at least to expect to pay the price (fines, arrest, jail time, etc....) if I don't.

I've never consumed alcohol in a public place, period. About the fastest I drive in 70-75 mph. Never peed in a public place. Back in the day and age of my youth, the cough medicine thing wasn't an issue, and my parents did most of the shopping anyway.

I really can't think of any arrestable offense that I've ever committed. I won't say with 100% certainty that I haven't, but I can't think of anything. I was taught to OBEY the law, regardless of whether I agree with it or not..... or at least to expect to pay the price (fines, arrest, jail time, etc....) if I don't.

Not EVERY criminal should be thrown away as a lost cause forever brah. Many should for sure. But all? No.

Not really. In a hotel, you pay to stay, in a prison someone else pays.
You know everyone is a criminal
You don't get to wonder the halls at night
And someone else turns out the lights.

The violence is no different in prison than in the streets they roam when out.

All we do is warehouse them when they aren't doing other things.

We should adopt the Japs way of handling criminals.

How do the Japanese handle it?

Chose not to work; sit in the middle of your cell from rack out to lights out.
Wanna talk; raise your hand to get a CO to come over so you can get permission to do so.
Inspections daily. Hair clean, shaved, nails checked for dirt and approved length.

In bootcamp, think how the screwups got treated and turn that into months and years.

Boot camp is to build a warrior, though.

As far as that kind of treatment in prison, the only issue I have with that is that some are in there for horrible crimes, and others are in there because they got caught with fucking WEED.

Possession of weed does not justify that kind of treatment. It doesn't even justify jail time in my book, in a great many cases.

You'd have to have different sections of prison with different treatments for specific crimes, and now you're talking more money at the end of the day.

There's no simple solution.

This doesn't work. You get to opine from what would be considered a cushy lifestyle to begin with, compared to many if not MOST of those prison inmates. For a lot of them, prison life actually offers more than "free" life. That's why many re-offend. They've been in and they STILL aren't deterred.

How do the Japanese handle it?

Wanna talk; raise your hand to get a CO to come over so you can get permission to do so.
Inspections daily. Hair clean, shaved, nails checked for dirt and approved length.

In bootcamp, think how the screwups got treated and turn that into months and years.

As far as that kind of treatment in prison, the only issue I have with that is that some are in there for horrible crimes, and others are in there because they got caught with fucking WEED.

Possession of weed does not justify that kind of treatment. It doesn't even justify jail time in my book, in a great many cases.

You'd have to have different sections of prison with different treatments for specific crimes, and now you're talking more money at the end of the day.

Very few, and I mean VERY few people are in prison for simple possession of marijuana. That is a myth.

Very few, and I mean VERY few people are in prison for simple possession of marijuana. That is a myth.

I wasn't even talking about simple possession. I don't care if it's a pound.

This is of course my opinion on weed, but I don't believe in its illegality to begin with. I don't like how the prosecution gets to automatically add in a distribution charge if the amount possessed hits a certain weight. You need to PROVE distribution. In a case of distribution, I can understand jail time simply because even if weed was legal, I'd support only state-sanctioned locations selling it, like alcohol or tobacco.

People spend YEARS in prison because they had a pound of weed on them. Weed is like any other product. You get mark downs for buying in bulk. A chronic smoker has incentive to buy in bulk to save himself money. If he's smoking it in his house, why should he face years in prison where people apparently want him treated like a japanese prisoner?

Last edited:
I worked in the Virginia state prison system for a couple of years. Virginia is certainly no screaming liberal state but there are cartain things. For example you never refer to "convicts" as convicts or prisoners. Inmate is OK but believe it or not the prefered name is "client". Muslem gangs get special privleges during ramadan at least in medium security prisons. They get access to the kitchen (under supervision) to prepare special evening meals. The always short handed prison has to make special accomidations for ramadan. No other religion is afforded such treatment.

I wasn't even talking about simple possession. I don't care if it's a pound.

This is of course my opinion on weed, but I don't believe in its illegality to begin with. I don't like how the prosecution gets to automatically add in a distribution charge if the amount possessed hits a certain weight. You need to PROVE distribution. In a case of distribution, I can understand jail time simply because even if weed was legal, I'd support only state-sanctioned locations selling it, like alcohol or tobacco.

People spend YEARS in prison because they had a pound of weed on them. Weed is like any other product. You get mark downs for buying in bulk. A chronic smoker has incentive to buy in bulk to save himself money. If he's smoking it in his house, why should he face years in prison where people apparently want him treated like a japanese prisoner?

you and I have had this discussion before, I'm not automatically against making weed legal. However the CURRENT law is what it is, and those who violate the law do so knowing the potential outcome if they get caught.

I am against mistreatment of ANY prisoners.

Prison should be a place to fear. Where every-single-last-day sucks.
People go to prison for everything from growing marijuana, which harms no one, to raping children, which is a particularly heinous offense. Do you believe that everyone who is sent to prison should be subjected to the same punitive experience regardless of the nature of their respective crimes?

Prison should be a place to fear. Where every-single-last-day sucks.
People go to prison for everything from growing marijuana, which harms no one, to raping children, which is a particularly heinous offense. Do you believe that everyone who is sent to prison should be subjected to the same punitive experience regardless of the nature of their respective crimes?

I would answer yes to that question.

To normal people sure the loss of freedom is enough to deter them from committing crimes and getting locked up, however for experienced criminals who have done time, prison really isn't all that bad. These guys actually have the opporunity to make more money on the inside than they go in society.

Forum List

Back