Hate it, dontcha, Libs

How could the #1 watched national news channel NOT be considered "mainstream"?
It is the Conservative's alternative to MSM. The fact that it is more popular than any other cable news source says much about it's competition.
Oh and MSM is generally considered to be broadcast television news like NBC, CBS and ABC.

Who says that that's what the MSM is? Do you have any source?

We should define the word "mainstream" though.

Oxford defines it as:

"The ideas, attitudes, or activities that are regarded as normal or conventional; the dominant trend in opinion, fashion, or the arts"

So if Fox News has the highest ratings among their competition (CNN, MSNBC) then how are they not the "dominant trend in opinion"?

Source:

mainstream definition of mainstream in Oxford dictionary American English US
Accepted definition of Main Stream Media be damned, huh? At least you will be fun.

Looking at the definition of the word "mainstream"...explain to me how Fox News is NOT mainstream.

It's a straightforward concept.
Agreed. EXCEPT when you are talking specific cases. The term Main Stream Media has, for years, been used to describe broadcast network news outlets.

Cable news does not fit the definition.

So MSNBC/CNN is not mainstream media then?

Nope. ABC, NBC and CBS are mainstream media.

Mainstream media (MSM) are those media disseminated via the largest distribution channels, which therefore represent what the majority of media consumers are likely to encounter.

The largest distribution channels are those transmitted over the air, thus the term "mainstream." Mainstream means "available to everyone" which broadcast is. FNC, CNN and MSNBC are all paid cable networks and thus only available to subscribers. That means they are not considered "mainstream media." They are "alternative media."

Nope. ABC, NBC and CBS are mainstream media.

Mainstream media (MSM) are those media disseminated via the largest distribution channels, which therefore represent what the majority of media consumers are likely to encounter.

The largest distribution channels are those transmitted over the air, thus the term "mainstream." Mainstream means "available to everyone" which broadcast is. FNC, CNN and MSNBC are all paid cable networks and thus only available to subscribers. That means they are not considered "mainstream media." They are "alternative media."

Horseshit.

Cable TV alone was integrated into just under 59% of all homes as of nine years ago. That's not counting approximately 35 million homes subscribing to Dish or DreckTV. This ain't the 1950s when cable was this exotic technology used to string coverage down to the rural areas deep in the holler.

And btw in those rural areas, such as where I live, there are on-air TV stations streaming content from the so-called cable channels. Plus, it's all available on the internet, which is why I discontinued my satellite.

That's coverage, baby. If that ain't "mainstream", grits ain't groceries.

Ok argue with wiki.

Mainstream media - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

The mainstream media are the broadcast networks. Period. Whether you like it or not.

"Argue with Wiki"... :rofl:

If it was worth the time I'd correct it but it's not even necessary, since Wiki doesn't disagree:

Mainstream media (MSM) are those media disseminated via the largest distribution channels, which therefore represent what the majority of media consumers are likely to encounter. The term also denotes those media generally reflective of the prevailing currents of thought, influence, or activity.[1] the opposite of mainstream media is alternative media.​

Last time I checked, 59% of everybody, plus 35 million on top of that, IS a majority. If a Presidential candidate got that kind of vote we'd be talking about an all time landslide. It's not even close.

We're simply stating the obvious here. Cable/satellite is everywhere. There are entire TV shows (ever hear of, say, "Duck Dynasty"?) that exist nowhere but cable/satellite. If it wasn't ubiquitous they wouldn't settle for that; they'd be pitching it to air channels. But they don't need to.

You walk into virtually any airport, bar/restaurant, electronics department at Mal-Wart, dentist's office, the lobby of a chemical company, and it's right there in your face. If that's not "mainstream" then mainstream has no definition. Whether you like it or not.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back