Hate Crime Bill Set to Pass?

I asked for your examples and not a source. But I'll be the donkeyface and hee haw at you.

I asked for your examples and not a source. But I'll be the donkeyface and hee haw at you.

I don't jump through hoops, you want evidence that I am right or wrong. go down to race and race relations,, you don't? then don't.. it's just that simple.

hate-crime laws serve a symbolic function, not a practical one: they proclaim that crimes fueled by certain types of bias are especially repugnant,

is that a bad thing?

ut that is the same as proclaiming that crimes fueled by other types of bias, or by motives having nothing to do with bias, are not quite as awful.

is that a message any decent society should wish to promote?

I don't think that's the message. The message is that if you can't control your hatred, society is going to respond.

I don't jump through hoops, you want evidence that I am right or wrong. go down to race and race relations,, you don't? then don't.. it's just that simple.

Look, you made a statement. I questioned it. You provided nothing but I needed go somewhere else to prove you right or wrong. Why? I didn't say you were right or wrong. You made the statement, you provide the facts. If not, then it's not on me.

hate-crime laws serve a symbolic function, not a practical one: they proclaim that crimes fueled by certain types of bias are especially repugnant,

is that a bad thing?symbolism? no, but it's not good law, IMO.

ut that is the same as proclaiming that crimes fueled by other types of bias, or by motives having nothing to do with bias, are not quite as awful.

is that a message any decent society should wish to promote?

I don't think that's the message. The message is that if you can't control your hatred, society is going to respond.

and society doesn't respond now? i'm sorry, i think this is a bad idea; the apotheosis of "feel good" legislation.

FWIW, i feel the same way about the death penalty for killing a police officer.

Look, you made a statement. I questioned it. You provided nothing but I needed go somewhere else to prove you right or wrong. Why? I didn't say you were right or wrong. You made the statement, you provide the facts. If not, then it's not on me.

I offered you the source to back up my statement,, take it or leave it! what's wrong? afraid of what you will see?

I offered you the source to back up my statement,, take it or leave it! what's wrong? afraid of what you will see?

So Willow, I went and looked at the first four entries and it seems that the score is whites = 26 and non-white = 9. Should I go to the fifth entry?

Last edited:
COLOR="Red"]symbolism? no, but it's not good law, IMO.[/COLOR]

I don't know. Having seen what "hate crimes " have done a la pogroms, nazis, lynchings, beatings of gays... I'd say I'm grateful for those kinds of laws. Different perspective, I guess.

and society doesn't respond now? i'm sorry, i think this is a bad idea; the apotheosis of "feel good" legislation.

FWIW, i feel the same way about the death penalty for killing a police officer.

Again, I think some loser who thinks they can victimize someone for their race, religion or sexuality needs a little extra deterrance.

At least you're consistent as far as the police officer goes. But I'm ok with that, too.... albeit in the confines of my own questions about the death penalty.

Again, I think some loser who thinks they can victimize someone for their race, religion or sexuality needs a little extra deterrance.

irony!

I don't know. Having seen what "hate crimes " have done a la pogroms, nazis, lynchings, beatings of gays... I'd say I'm grateful for those kinds of laws. Different perspective, I guess.

You realize that those behaviors were already illeal when they happened, right? That didn't keep them from happening.

Have murder laws stopped murders?

I don't know where you're from or how big your Federal district is, but here where I'm at, my Federal district is much bigger than my city or county for that matter. So that would not be correct in all cases.

I've worked with USAO's all over the U.S., and it's still largely correct. In my case, I think our USAO covers all of the western panhandle of Florida. That would still be demographically similar to a jury drawn only from my town.

So, in the case of a hate crime that occurs in rural Alabama, for instance, the jury pool is STILL going to be drawn largely from rural Alabama.

The only reason I am starting to support these things is because of all the shit I see, even on here, which just makes me want to see the people against certain groups just because they are "sinfull" lose rights. I won't hide that fact. I hate "hate crime legislation" normally, but I'll take the lesser of two evils ...

Forum List

Back