A Family Affair?

Vel

Platinum Member
Oct 30, 2008
Tennessee
Wouldn't you think that soemthing like this might invite a little more scrutiny than it seems to be getting. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything about this story on any of the nightly news programs.

Murtha's Nephew Got Defense Contracts
Millions in Work Came Without Competition
By Carol D. Leonnig and Alice CritesWashington Post Staff Writers
Tuesday, May 5, 2009
The headquarters of Murtech, in a low-slung, bland building in a Glen Burnie business park, has its blinds drawn tight and few signs of life. On several days of visits, a handful of cars sit in the parking lot, and no trucks arrive at the 10 loading bays at the back of the building.
Yet last year, Murtech received $4 million in Pentagon work, all of it without competition, for a variety of warehousing and engineering services. With its long corridor of sparsely occupied offices and an unmanned reception area, Murtech's most striking feature is its owner -- Robert C. Murtha Jr., 49. He is the nephew of Rep. John P. Murtha, the Pennsylvania Democrat who has significant sway over the Defense Department's spending as chairman of the House Appropriations defense subcommittee.

washingtonpost.com

Wouldn't you think that soemthing like this might invite a little more scrutiny than it seems to be getting. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see anything about this story on any of the nightly news programs.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009
The headquarters of Murtech, in a low-slung, bland building in a Glen Burnie business park, has its blinds drawn tight and few signs of life. On several days of visits, a handful of cars sit in the parking lot, and no trucks arrive at the 10 loading bays at the back of the building.
Yet last year, Murtech received $4 million in Pentagon work, all of it without competition, for a variety of warehousing and engineering services. With its long corridor of sparsely occupied offices and an unmanned reception area, Murtech's most striking feature is its owner -- Robert C. Murtha Jr., 49. He is the nephew of Rep. John P. Murtha, the Pennsylvania Democrat who has significant sway over the Defense Department's spending as chairman of the House Appropriations defense subcommittee.

washingtonpost.com

That didn't surprise you, did it?

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

washingtonpost.com

That didn't surprise you, did it?

No, not really. I keep hoping though that our media will remember it's job and that we could somehow start to return the power to the people. LOL but keep in mind, I still watch for Santa on Christmas Eve too. :) Incurable optimism I suppose.

Most states have laws regarding political nepotism. I would think that the federal government does to.

Does anyone know if they do or not?

Last edited:
I am looking at the Cornell University legal search Vel and I can't find anything about nepotism being illegal except for in trustee/bankruptcy cases.

Online I'm seeing that there are a lot of states and counties that have ethic rules and codes that prohibit nepotism.

US CODE: Title 18,CHAPTER 93—PUBLIC OFFICERS AND EMPLOYEES

Here is the USA.gov site. In the search there "nepotism" I'm not finding much either for the federal government. Here is a few stories at the FBI on nepotism. Here at USDOJ they have a lot references to.

There is one article in the search in PDF at USDOJ, "Employment HUMAN RESOURCES""b. Nepotism violates 5 USC 31 10, which generally prohibits public officials from employing or advancing relatives."

Here is the search "nepotism in federal contracting".

This sort of thing must be daylighted, no matter who it is, or which party they belong to. No differant than the no bid Haliburton contracts.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
This sort of thing must be daylighted, no matter who it is, or which party they belong to. No differant than the no bid Haliburton contracts.

Point of reference - those were initially implimented by the Clinton administration...

Forum List

Back