Has the presidency became a dictatorship.

SuperDemocrat

Gold Member
Mar 4, 2015
It's hard to believe that so many of the federal governments actions are decided by the president. It's not the law, constitution, but by the president. when we are deciding who to put into office of the president we decide based on what policies he favors. This is natural since the president does have veto power over upcoming legislation that made it through congress but sometimes I get the impression that people think the president is the sole decider of all legislation....as if all by himself he can decide what rules and laws are created.

It's hard to believe that so many of the federal governments actions are decided by the president. It's not the law, constitution, but by the president. when we are deciding who to put into office of the president we decide based on what policies he favors. This is natural since the president does have veto power over upcoming legislation that made it through congress but sometimes I get the impression that people think the president is the sole decider of all legislation....as if all by himself he can decide what rules and laws are created.

To answer your question.

No.

• Banned
The moral argument is often the most persuasive but it's power to persuade people can be used to undo our most cherished political ideas in this country such as democracy. An example of this are laws that made legal for whites to kill non whites. Such laws did exist in this country and were put into place by the democratic process. Is it possible that one could make an argument against democracy by saying that if the people were free to decide on what laws could be put into place that they would racist laws into effect? We would be so outraged by the racist laws that our outrage may make it seem morally justified to suspend democracy in the name of ending racism. We are already seeing this argument being used against state sovereignty or states rights so why can't this happen?

I've noticed in an episode of hell on wheels that a white man was not charged with killing a "chinaman". When an explanation was needed for this the main character replied "it's not me it is the law". This puts a very dim light on the concept of the rule of law because it makes it look like it was being used to do something evil. My point is that it seems like the moral argument is being used to slowly water down cherished political ideas about democracy in this country. Who can justify the law after it was used to allow something truly evil to happen?

The office has definitely gained a shocking amount more power in the last few decades, but ultimately, whoever it is, they can only rule in 4 year blocks. Dictators generally don't allow elections or rig elections (Iran)

The moral argument is often the most persuasive but it's power to persuade people can be used to undo our most cherished political ideas in this country such as democracy. An example of this are laws that made legal for whites to kill non whites. Such laws did exist in this country and were put into place by the democratic process. Is it possible that one could make an argument against democracy by saying that if the people were free to decide on what laws could be put into place that they would racist laws into effect? We would be so outraged by the racist laws that our outrage may make it seem morally justified to suspend democracy in the name of ending racism. We are already seeing this argument being used against state sovereignty or states rights so why can't this happen?

I've noticed in an episode of hell on wheels that a white man was not charged with killing a "chinaman". When an explanation was needed for this the main character replied "it's not me it is the law". This puts a very dim light on the concept of the rule of law because it makes it look like it was being used to do something evil. My point is that it seems like the moral argument is being used to slowly water down cherished political ideas about democracy in this country. Who can justify the law after it was used to allow something truly evil to happen?
Only becuse of unreasonable souls such as yourself.Where one can't live with another because one does not get ones whey...

The office has definitely gained a shocking amount more power in the last few decades, but ultimately, whoever it is, they can only rule in 4 year blocks. Dictators generally don't allow elections or rig elections (Iran)

That we know of...

The rightwingnuts continue their silly accusations and bellyaching. Face it, people, you lost in 2008 and 2012 because most Americans do not share your delusions.

Has the presidency became a dictatorship?

No...

You sound disappointed.....
Based on the ability to get things done and do what's right for the country, I am.

Dictators get things done. They do so without anyone telling them otherwise. One day people will wake up and figure out what people like you really want.
Yes, I want to get shit done, how evil of me...

The rightwingnuts continue their silly accusations and bellyaching. Face it, people, you lost in 2008 and 2012 because most Americans do not share your delusions.

The delusion that people share now is that this presidency is everything he says he is. They share in the belief that the economy is doing well despite record number of people out of work.

Forum List

Back