Has anybody got something like this ?

The British and their gardensā€¦
Some of the best on the planet apart from their obsession with topiary.

What's wrong with that?
Pretending that the Creator (whatever that is) meant shrubs etc to look like rigid three dimensional blocks, or worse still animals, is unnatural, absurd and ugly to my eyes, Others, I admit, enjoy the delusion the natural world has been ā€˜conquered and improvedā€™ by our species but to me itā€™s a delusion. One of the worst examples of this practice of torturing nature is Prince Charles horrid little effort to curb the natural worlds anarchic ways ( see below). In fact, if memory serves me, it was a French philosopher who upon viewing the heavens remarked. ā€œHow odd of God not to lay the heavens out like a formal gardenā€ YUK! ! !

In France when esposed to the kind of madness below I was overcome with an urge to attack the place with a pickaxe.

The English landscape has been cultivated over the centuries. It has not developed naturally like that.

The English landscape has been cultivated over the centuries. It has not developed naturally like that.
Are you referring to centuries of land clearing and agricultural practice or created landscapes such as Capability Brownā€™s?. I far prefer the faux naturalism of the later to anything the French and their box hedges inflicted on gardens. In fact, I find it hard to even call those geometric puzzles ā€˜gardensā€™.
Anyhow, as I said if you enjoy ā€˜gardensā€™ that look like green versions of Persian rugs thatā€™s your right. I canā€™t stand them which may explain in part why my place looks a bit like a jungle.

Anyhow, getting back to the original post friends of mine used a robot lawn mower but had endless trouble with it bashing into hedges over and over and over until it dug itself into the ground. The mower company gave them a new one under warrantee and it promptly sailed down the lawn and into the creek. We can only hope when self driving cars hit the road they arenā€™t as mad. I suspect however if you had a formal garden with well defined raised edges where lawn met the gadern proper youā€™d have no problems unless you owned a dog that was too playful then anything could happen.

Last edited:
View attachment 235074

Its a drone lawn mower. It cuts your grass while you sip a cold one. Thinking of getting one for Mrs T. I dont think she is fit to cut the grass anymore and Im looking to ease her burden.

Nice doodad but I don't have to mow my grass and just let it grow. My lawn is too large to mow even with a robot lawnmower. What happens when your robot lawnmower cuts down your neighbor's flower garden, bad robot?

What's wrong with that?
Topiaries are ugly. Plant abuse of the 1st degree IMO.
No, thatā€™s 2nd degree, bonsai is 1st degree cruelty as the roots are attacked as well.

Bonsai is plant cruelty to the 1st. degree.

What's wrong with that?
No, thatā€™s 2nd degree, bonsai is 1st degree cruelty as the roots are attacked as well.

Like Chinese foot binding?

Are you referring to centuries of land clearing and agricultural practice or created landscapes such as Capability Brownā€™s?. I far prefer the faux naturalism of the later to anything the French and their box hedges inflicted on gardens. In fact, I find it hard to even call those geometric puzzles ā€˜gardensā€™.
Anyhow, as I said if you enjoy ā€˜gardensā€™ that look like green versions of Persian rugs thatā€™s your right. I canā€™t stand them which may explain in part why my place looks a bit like a jungle.

Anyhow, getting back to the original post friends of mine used a robot lawn mower but had endless trouble with it bashing into hedges over and over and over until it dug itself into the ground. The mower company gave them a new one under warrantee and it promptly sailed down the lawn and into the creek. We can only hope when self driving cars hit the road they arenā€™t as mad. I suspect however if you had a formal garden with well defined raised edges where lawn met the gadern proper youā€™d have no problems unless you owned a dog that was too playful then anything could happen.

Is that your garden?

Looks similar to English.

What's wrong with that?

Don't forget about meso-america head binding.

What's wrong with that?

I can kind of understand it if someone lives in a small flat with no more than a small balcony for a garden but a neighbour has a large garden stuffed with thousands upon thousands of the damned things and running in and out of the bonsai forest is a miniature steam train.
Makes me feel almost sick but heā€™s in love with it.

What's wrong with that?

Never heard of it.

What's wrong with that?

I can kind of understand it if someone lives in a small flat with no more than a small balcony for a garden but a neighbour has a large garden stuffed with thousands upon thousands of the damned things and running in and out of the bonsai forest is a miniature steam train.
Makes me feel almost sick but heā€™s in love with it.

lol.

Is that your garden?
Looks similar to English.
Yes, but planning was never part of how it developed. The previous owners had huge numbers of things like climbing roses pruned down to 4 ft high and a frightening number of rampant weeds Iā€™m still fighting with. The best part is a 170 year old quince tree that still produces bumper crops I make quince liqueur from.
Thereā€™s a mix of indigenous Tasmanian plants to which Iā€™ve added 137 roses.
Sadly Iā€™m now at an age where I canā€™t look after it properly so a move is in the works.

Last edited:

Never heard of it.

Surprising that you never heard of head binding. Head binding was used by the Maya and Aztec but only with royal children which gave the head an elongated shape that only the royals had including the King. Head binding made them crazy.

Never heard of it.

Surprising that you never heard of head binding. Head binding was used by the Maya and Aztec but only with royal children which gave the head an elongated shape that only the royals had including the King. Head binding made them crazy.

I suppose because I've never paid attention to it, or was exposed to the information about it.

Never heard of it.

I suppose because I've never paid attention to it, or was exposed to the information about it.

I have a wealth of information and don't get me started on Ancient Egyptians let alone Mohammad. Ali was Mohammad' Uncle which started the Shiite vs Sunni War that still goes on today.

Last edited:

Never heard of it.

I have a wealth of information and don't get me started on Ancient Egyptians let alone Mohammad. Ali was Mohammad' Uncle which started the Shiite vs Sunni War that still goes on today.

I'm reminded of an essay I wrote once on the ancient Egyptians regarding their art.

I've also read Muhammed's biography, and what Arabs were, before Islam.

Forum List

Back