Harvard Researchers Want Fat Kids Taken from Their Homes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Quantum Windbag, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    Tell me again how smart people from Harvard are, and how I should be afraid of conservatives that want to take over the government.

Harvard Researchers Want Fat Kids Taken from Their Homes - Politics - The Atlantic Wire

Here is the link to the JAMA piece.

State Intervention in Life-Threatening Childhood Obesity, July 13, 2011, Murtagh and Ludwig 306 (2): 206

I really love this line.

2. Antiderivative

Antiderivative BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +103
    That is extreme and the state will probably fuck it up even more if they went that route. Nonetheless, obesity is a huge problem in America and it is only getting worse. fact, it is becoming a national security concern.
    U.S. Military: Obesity is a matter of national security | NJ.com

There is something wrong with parents who let their kids get 400 lbs develop diabetes, cholesterol problems, high blood pressure and sleep apnea all by the age of 12.

3. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,917
    Trying to generalize about "Harvard smart people" from the opinions of a single person would be the same as generalizing that all "Christians" support the opinions of the Westboro Baptist Church.

4. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,913
    I would think they don't mean kids who have to shop in the "husky" section, but 12 year olds who wiegh 400 lbs. Although I am not a huge fan on state intervention into anything, as that point shouldn't someone try to do something to fix the situation. At that wieght the kids cant get to the food, it has to get to them.

5. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,148
    So is Obama going to fund the FAT POLICE. Which would mean putting out squads at all the fast food restaurants--grocery stores--whatever to slap that Whopper out of that overweight kids hands? Then of course we'll move onto taxpayer funded FAT FARMS--where citizens are forced to go and run off that lard--and learn how to eat right--:lol:

Hey--under this administration--NOTHING would surprise me right now.

$obama-lip-service.jpg

6. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Oh wow... now Obama's name gets thrown in? Some people's hatred knows no bounds. Unfortunately... it's so fucking predictable from you idiots on the right.

That being said... it's bullshit. I'm sure that getting ripped out of their homes and put into a Gestapo food environment will make obese kids(which most obesity stems from a combination of genetics and emotional issues) feel so much better about themselves. yeah... they'll cure their obesity... by way of drug addiction or suicide.

I know that people tend to like simple solutions to problems... but food addiction is real. Food tends to be an obese person's drug of choice. A change in scenery isn't going to do shit...in fact, it'll worsen the problem.

7. Tank

Tank Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,921
    Where are they going to put all these little black and hispanic fat ass's?

8. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    I'm hoping your house.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. Kuros

Kuros BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    A 400lb 12-year-old? Yes, that is a kind of child abuse. We're not talking about 100lb corn-fed kids, we're talking about the prepubescent morbidly obese.

Now, I don't agree with taking such children away from their parents. But the idea is impractical, not morally wrong.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  10. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    It was not a single person. I just have contempt for anyone, no matter where they are, who thinks it is the government's job to prevent things like kids getting fat. That includes the smart people in the UK who think all children under 5 should exercise daily, even if they are not capable of walking.