Harvard Professor Jailed; Officer Is Accused of Bias

Why hasn't dilloduck popped in to inform all the women in this thread who think Officer Crowley was a bad boy that they have daddy issues?

Anyone else find it wildly amusing that Angry Eel equates a cop making an arrest with losing his cool.

I sure do.
Why? it's perfectly logical when you think about it.

Yes, the resulting arrest was perfectly logical when you think about it. Mr Gates lost his cool and the officers remained professional and followed legal procedure. You found the arrest unnecessary, but then again you were not there. The charges were subsequently dropped because of Professor Gates' status in the community. A request for dismissal came down from on high and the charges were dropped. The Cambridge police department stands behind all of the actions of their officers and they make no apologies.

Anyone else find it wildly amusing that Angry Eel equates a cop making an arrest with losing his cool.

I sure do.

Yes, the resulting arrest was perfectly logical when you think about it. Mr Gates lost his cool and the officers remained professional and followed legal procedure. You found the arrest unnecessary, but then again you were not there. The charges were subsequently dropped because of Professor Gates' status in the community. A request for dismissal came down from on high and the charges were dropped. The Cambridge police department stands behind all of the actions of their officers and they make no apologies.
If you say so, Val. I think the cops acted more moronic than Gates, if that is possible. And as cops, they should have known better.

And out of curiosity, what does "on high" mean?

Last edited by a moderator:
No charges would have been filed in anyone's case because no crime was committed (other than the officer's abuse of power) and the police knew they couldn't prove one had. I give the Cambridge Police credit for at least dropping the charges.

What do you think of the notion that it was Mr Gates who abused his power? He flipped out at the police JUST because they had the nerve to be there questioning him. He instantly got overly defensive toward the officer, grabbed his cell phone and immediately began calling his powerful friends. He escalated the situation and acted as if he was above the law. Ultimately he provoked the police to assert their authority in order to calm him down. They warned him to stop ranting and he continued. The officer was not responding to his race, he was responding to his disorderly behavior amidst the legal procedure the situation required.

I'm repeating myself, but I think ANYONE who responds to routine inquiry the way this man evidently did, deserves to be arrested for disorderly conduct. I wonder if some of you would feel the same way if this very same behavior was exhibited in the exact same situation and the person who was acting like an elitist brat toward the civil servant police was Jenna Bush for example?

WHY? BECAUSE I'M A BUSH? DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? I'M GONNA CALL MY DADDY AND TELL ON YOU! I'M GONNA SUE YOU FOR HARASSMENT, YOU DON'T KNOW WHO YOU'RE MESSING WITH. WAAA I'M CRANKY, YOU SEXIST PIG! DON'T TOUCH ME! THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS TO THE BUSHES IN AMERICA, HOW DARE YOU?

Tell me you wouldn't be laughing at her and applauding the cops? :eusa_think:
:rolleyes: I'd think Jenna was a twit just like I think Gates is a twit but that wouldn't mean the cops had the right to arrest either one of them.

So the cops were FORCED to arrest someone because he was a cranky fool?

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Not forced. Provoked, prompted, compelled.

Mr Gates controlled the outcome of the event and when he lost control of his behavior then ignored the warning to regain control and remain orderly, he compelled the police to exercise the authority to take control and retain order in the neighborhood.

If you say so, Val. I think the cops acted more moronic than Gates, if that is possible. And as cops, they should have known better.

And out of curiosity, what does "on high" mean?

Professor Gates is good friends with the mayor of Cambridge, the governor, the president, etc.

Do I need to draw a picture? :lol:

I know you think it was unnecessary to arrest him, but you have to think of it as legal procedure. If Mr Gates is making threats, they need to make a record of events and establish the authority of the police in the neighborhood where there have been several other B&E's recently. Undermining the Cambridge police force is not exactly in the best interest of the community, yes?

If the best interest of the Cambridge police is making wrongful arrests, yes it is, absolutely.

And no, threatening to sue someone because you think someone is racist is not threatening enough to arrest someone.

If the best interest of the Cambridge police is making wrongful arrests, yes it is, absolutely.

And no, threatening to sue someone because you think someone is racist is not threatening enough to arrest someone.

You think it was wrongful arrest because his behavior didn't meet the threshold of disorderly conduct based on what? The dismissal of charges? :lol:

It wasn't just the racist accusation that got him arrested, it was his manic uncontrollable behavior.

You think the officer behaved badly based on what? The mere fact of an arrest at his home?

Since when is following procedure deemed a wrongful arrest?

You really believe the people of the neighborhood were feeling threatened by the police presence that day? "Making wrongful arrests"?

Maybe they were trembling in their houses thinking they would be next for the Cambridge gustapo to come get all the black men of America as Mr Gates was ranting and threatening to sue them for?

What IS the threshold of "threatening enough" to the order of the community? Black men thinking they're above the law because they have a RIGHT to dis a cop in their own home?

Hmmm...How to maintain order? :eusa_think: Law and order in the interest of everyone in the neighborhood which had been robbed several times recently. :eusa_think: Law and order beyond the interest of one spoiled loudmouthed twit who failed to maintain order of himself? :eusa_think:

Disorderly conduct charges served a legal purpose to defuse the situation in a way the police on the scene deemed necessary. Maybe they used bad judgment as you suggest, but I haven't seen any proof of it.

No one, not even an esteemed professor, is above the law. I could have gotten mouthy a few weeks ago when I got a speeding ticket about 20 yards from the speed limit sign, but I didn't. The point is, this professor should have been glad his neighbors were keeping an eye on his house for him, and for the police for showing up when called. Had this been a real intruder while Gates was still on vaction (or at home), it would have been a different story. The fact is, when you start harrassing a law enforcement officer, your asking for trouble. There are some police officers that have nerves of steel and are not phased by badgering, however, the majority of officers are human and are subject to the same nerves as the rest of us. Personally, I feel that Gates shouldn't have been an asshole...just show some ID, thank the officer for stopping by, and let him be on his way.

You think it was wrongful arrest because his behavior didn't meet the threshold of disorderly conduct based on what? The dismissal of charges? :lol:

It wasn't just the racist accusation that got him arrested, it was his manic uncontrollable behavior.

You think the officer behaved badly based on what? The mere fact of an arrest at his home?

You really believe the people of the neighborhood were feeling threatened by the police presence that day? "Making wrongful arrests"?

Maybe they were trembling in their houses thinking they would be next for the Cambridge gustapo to come get all the black men of America as Mr Gates was ranting and threatening to sue them for?

What IS the threshold of "threatening enough" to the order of the community? Black men thinking they're above the law because they have a RIGHT to dis a cop in their own home?

Hmmm...How to maintain order? :eusa_think: Law and order in the interest of everyone in the neighborhood which had been robbed several times recently. :eusa_think: Law and order beyond the interest of one spoiled loudmouthed twit who failed to maintain order of himself? :eusa_think:

Disorderly conduct charges served a legal purpose to defuse the situation in a way the police on the scene deemed necessary. Maybe they used bad judgment as you suggest, but I haven't seen any proof of it.
Professor Gates is good friends with the mayor of Cambridge, the governor, the president, etc.

Sounds like Cambridge is under a siege of criminality and corruption! Call the National Guard!! Under the brave leadership of Dudley DoRight-Crowley the fair city shall be liberated from the grip of Gates!!

Valerie, do you really think arresting Gates sent a message to burglars?

Maybe while Crowley was fucking around with Gates someone's house was getting broken into?

Obviously you think the evidence all points to the cop having reason to make an arrest. I don't. But neither of us was there. It will be interesting to see what comes of this incident.

Sounds like Cambridge is under a siege of criminality and corruption! Call the National Guard!! Under the brave leadership of Dudley DoRight-Crowley the fair city shall be liberated from the grip of Gates!!

Valerie, do you really think arresting Gates sent a message to burglars?

Maybe while Crowley was fucking around with Gates someone's house was getting broken into?

Obviously you think the evidence all points to the cop having reason to make an arrest. I don't. But neither of us was there. It will be interesting to see what comes of this incident.

:lol: Just responding to Ravi's points.

Last edited:
:lol: Just responding to Ravi's points.
I do hope you're feeling a little better about the President, in any case.

I'm curious to see if he will get either of them to extend a hand to the other. I bet it won't happen for a while, if it does. And I think it will be Gates to extend his first.

anyone read where the black cop thought they acted properly and that the prof was being weird....
Why would you expect a black cop to stick up for a professor just because the professor is black too. Cops stick up for cops. Besides that cop was Portuguese, probably Capo Verde, he wasn't Southern black.

anyone read where the black cop thought they acted properly and that the prof was being weird....
Why would you expect a black cop to stick up for a professor just because the professor is black too. Cops stick up for cops. Besides that cop was Portuguese, probably Capo Verde, he wasn't Southern black.

so we should not trust cops and trust the black president sticking up for the black man breaking into a house.....because a white cop can't be trusted....thanks for clearing that up

so we should not trust cops and trust the black president sticking up for the black man breaking into a house.....because a white cop can't be trusted....thanks for clearing that up
If you say so...

Give me a fuckin break. If the black professor would of handled this situation like a smart educated man as we all would hope a friend of the President would be this would not of hit the papers.
But no he decided to act like a ****** and got what he asked for.
Fuck him for embarrasing his race and the president.
These types of actions will only help negative feelings between the races grow.
The cop was dammed either way,if he would have done nothing and it was truly a robbery he would have lost his job. In NYC when seasoned cops get a call that appears to be dangerous they sometimes take a little longer to get on scene and hope to just pick up the pieces. Would that have been a better choice for the cops????

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::clap2:

Val, put down that glass of hyperbole.

The actions of the cops sent no message to burglars but it did send one to law abiding citizens...you can't trust the police to act without vindictiveness so keep your mouth shut and your head down.

And Manu, :confused:

that's not the message I got.. or millions of other people.. just so ya know. you must have a short in yer circuit!.

Forum List

Back