Hard Choice for a Comfortable Death: Sedation

Better to go out screaming?

Seems to me that the suffering would shorten your life a bit? LIke a cardiac arrest?

Last edited:
drugs are used to sedate the dying but may hasten death:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/27/health/27sedation.html

The alternative to treating someone with these meds is to not treat them at all, and instead watch them writhe and moan in agony, and possibly get up and stumble around in an agitated state, and fall and fracture their hip or hemorrhage into their brain.

I'm not exaggerating.

No you are not xaggerating.

The younger ones have not seen much of this.

I hope I die before I get old.

Depends, some old folks do great, but many/most have problems that seriously degrade their quality of life.

Why we need death panels :D

Some get lucky. But hang around long enough and there's a real good chance that the last few years, months, or weeks of your life will be shit and there's a real big difference between living and being alive.

I hope I die before I get old.

Depends, some old folks do great, but many/most have problems that seriously degrade their quality of life.

Why we need death panels :D

Some get lucky. But hang around long enough and there's a real good chance that the last few years, months, or weeks of your life will be shit and there's a real big difference between living and being alive.

But from what I have seen most of the oldsters want to hang on just as long as they can.
And if they don't their family wants to keep them alive at any cost.

Me, I am checking out when it gets too bad.

Forum List

Back