Happy Happy Dance!

Care4all

Warrior Princess
Mar 24, 2007
Maine
3 minutes and 20 seconds ago, we got our Electricity BACK!

We got over 15 inches of snow in a storm on Sunday, lost electric at noon, (and a few trees), and we just got it back!!!

:dance:

We have generator that we have used for the first time and extension cords are going every which way but loose around here, for when we were running it...the house looks like a war zone...candles and battery lanterns, and emergency radio with weather band, and all kinds of stuff we used the first day, thinking electric would come back on in a couple of hours, and then mud tracked through the house by my lovely husband who had to dig out the generator from the snow, which turned muddy...and dishes in the sink from having no water and ughhhhhhhhhhh, it is going to take me hours if not a couple of days to clean up this mess we made,

just from not having electricity....

Last Christmas, we had an ice storm here and lost electricity for a week...we had no working generator, there was no heat, no water, no lights and it was 10 degrees out...the house was so cold, that I OPENED my refrigerator to keep the food cold! :D

Anyway, since then, we got a working generator, a kerosine heater, and some lanterns, and other emergency stuff so that we would not go through that frozen hell, ever again!!!

This was a trial run, this early Nor'easter we got...and we have some kinks to work out, but I think we should be okay if we lose it again in the winter....

Our rural area, is ALWAYS THE LAST to get our electricity back....

In my own la la liberal world, :D .....I was kind of hoping it would be more fair, and since we were the last house to be reconnected during the ice storm catastrophe in December, that they might do us FIRST this time..... :lol:

no such luck!

You should put a hook up for the generator on the house. All you would need to do is plug in one heavy duty cord outside the house and light up your circuit board. It's more convenient and a lot safer

You should put a hook up for the generator on the house. All you would need to do is plug in one heavy duty cord outside the house and light up your circuit board. It's more convenient and a lot safer

Do I just call an electrician, or should I buy the box and then call an electrician or can we do this ourselves?

Do I just call an electrician, or should I buy the box and then call an electrician or can we do this ourselves?

you need an electrician to hard wire it to the house...

you need an electrician to hard wire it to the house...
And then what?

I mean, it's a 5000 constant watt 6500 watt generator, but I don't believe the whole house could run off of it?

What I would want is to have:

the fhw oil heat and water heater to work, the water pump to work, my computer set up and tv in my work area, Matt's computer set up and tv/ satelite box in his man cave area, the router and a couple of lights and the Microwave and coffee pot :D to work and the refrig running.... hahahahahahahaha, I guess most everything, except the Stove/oven, washer dryer, and all the other lights and tvs in other rooms.

Don't know if this generator is strong enough?

and how would this work? when it is connected to the house? Do I flip on the circuit breakers for the things I need, when I need them?

Before you bother with all that....
Whats the output of your generator? If it's to small it really isnt worth the effort.

And there you go.......

You could hook that one up to a few circuits and shut the breakers off on all the others.
Like one in the kitchen and one for a common room.

Last edited:
they can hook it up so it runs the furnace plus whichever outlets you want...refrigerator, etc, up to max load.

Whats the output of your generator? If it's to small it really isnt worth the effort.
look above, I just posted it!

the electrician will know how much load each thing requires and set it up accordingly...

6294group.jpg

I did an edit..

Wow! It is only the beginning of November and you are already getting 15 inches of snow. It looks like we are going to have a very cold winter. I have been feeling unusually cold here in N California to a point that I am wearing thermal and drinking green tea.

Wow! It is only the beginning of November and you are already getting 15 inches of snow. It looks like we are going to have a very cold winter. I have been feeling unusually cold here in N California to a point that I am wearing thermal and drinking green tea.
It's scary! This is a month or two early for us...if we are lucky, we normally have snow on the ground by Christmas, and then January and February are brutally cold, and then March, snow storm after snow storm, with it being warmer...a heavy, snow.... then April/May begins the thaw, and is what we call "Mud Season", by the end of May the apple and plum trees are in bloom and paradise arrives again... :D

It's scary! This is a month or two early for us...if we are lucky, we normally have snow on the ground by Christmas, and then January and February are brutally cold, and then March, snow storm after snow storm, with it being warmer...a heavy, snow.... then April/May begins the thaw, and is what we call "Mud Season", by the end of May the apple and plum trees are in bloom and paradise arrives again... :D

I like how you have this whole seasonal cycle thing memorized down to the Mud Season :)

We got over 15 inches of snow in a storm on Sunday, lost electric at noon, (and a few trees), and we just got it back!!!

We have generator that we have used for the first time and extension cords are going every which way but loose around here, for when we were running it...the house looks like a war zone...candles and battery lanterns, and emergency radio with weather band, and all kinds of stuff we used the first day, thinking electric would come back on in a couple of hours, and then mud tracked through the house by my lovely husband who had to dig out the generator from the snow, which turned muddy...and dishes in the sink from having no water and ughhhhhhhhhhh, it is going to take me hours if not a couple of days to clean up this mess we made,

Last Christmas, we had an ice storm here and lost electricity for a week...we had no working generator, there was no heat, no water, no lights and it was 10 degrees out...the house was so cold, that I OPENED my refrigerator to keep the food cold! :D

Anyway, since then, we got a working generator, a kerosine heater, and some lanterns, and other emergency stuff so that we would not go through that frozen hell, ever again!!!

This was a trial run, this early Nor'easter we got...and we have some kinks to work out, but I think we should be okay if we lose it again in the winter....

In my own la la liberal world, :D .....I was kind of hoping it would be more fair, and since we were the last house to be reconnected during the ice storm catastrophe in December, that they might do us FIRST this time..... :lol:

no such luck!

It is a shame that global warming missed you folks in the northeast. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

its going to be 90 out here on Thursday Care.....if you send me 30 degrees of cold ill send you 30 of some heat.....deal?...

no such luck!

It is a shame that global warming missed you folks in the northeast. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Actually, one of the side effects of global warming is early and unusually cold winters.

no such luck!

I know, and bummer! I was hoping for a warm Maine in the future, and have waterfront property some day, with the seas rising and all.....!!! nope, no such luck again! :D

its going to be 90 out here on Thursday Care.....if you send me 30 degrees of cold ill send you 30 of some heat.....deal?...
You got it! DEAL! ;)

Forum List

Back