Handyman tricks

Auld Phart

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2013
Dont' know if there is already a thread for handyman tips, so I thought I'd start one.

13413156_1219957794701698_1051506095380117392_n.jpg

Feel free to add more if you like.

Dont' know if there is already a thread for handyman tips, so I thought I'd start one.

What happens when the water builds up in the container? Shouldnt you at least drill some drain holes in it to make it a little safer?

You could line it with plastic to seal it.....

I'm not sure why you'd want to keep working with power tools in the rain anyway though. Me, I coil it up and go inside.

Don't be a cheap bastard and shell out the dough for a NEMA 3 enclosure, you enjoy the dough from the insurance company if you ever need to file a claim over it.....

What happens when the water builds up in the container? Shouldnt you at least drill some drain holes in it to make it a little safer?

I'm not sure why you'd want to keep working with power tools in the rain anyway though. Me, I coil it up and go inside.
I use cordless and a rain coat...

Thats what i do for Xmas. i wrap the connectors in plastic bags if they are going to get some rain on them.

I have GFI outlets so I would be fine.....and unless you are working barefoot from the deep end of the pool, you probably would be too.

If you need extra leverage breaking something free try slipping the box end of a wrench or the hole in the handle of a larger tool over your primary tool you are working with, rotate it so the working end of the added tool is on top in the 12 o'clock position and then flipping it back so the working end of the added tool is as 180 degrees opposite the working end of the primary tool as you can get it. Things that won't budge at all sometime will break free with only marginal effort with the extra leverage.

If your paper shredder jams up, remove as much of the paper as you can from both the top and the bottom. Then pour shredder oil into the top. If it doesn't free it after a minute add more oil. Keep doing this until the shredder feeds through. The oil saturates the paper, allowing the tension on the shredder rollers to compress it more as it gets pulpy. Don't use water, motor oil, cooking oil, WD40 or anything other than shredder oi in a shredder. Even if your shredder says you do not need to oil it, get a bottle anyway just for this purpose. Even if your shredder cam with oil sheets, get a bottle anyway just for this purpose. You will eventually jam your shredder and you will need this oil. It is much faster and safer than trying to pry the jam loose.

Not a tip so much as an FYI, nuts/bolts that fasten things that turn often are reverse threaded , meaning they are righty loosey, lefty tighty so figure that out before you try to force it off because you may be tightening the bejesus out of it....this often is true on lawn mower blades.

If something moves that isn't supposed to move, use duct tape.

If something that is supposed to move doesn't move, use WD40.

And if that doesn't work, use a BFH.

I have GFI outlets so I would be fine.....and unless you are working barefoot from the deep end of the pool, you probably would be too.

If you need extra leverage breaking something free try slipping the box end of a wrench or the hole in the handle of a larger tool over your primary tool you are working with, rotate it so the working end of the added tool is on top in the 12 o'clock position and then flipping it back so the working end of the added tool is as 180 degrees opposite the working end of the primary tool as you can get it. Things that won't budge at all sometime will break free with only marginal effort with the extra leverage.
GFI outlets outdoors is code so everyone should have them

Spray Armorall on a rag and use it to clean your house window screens. Does a nice job and no need for soap and water.

Not how the code works though. There isn't a code. Your house is subject to the code that was in effect when it was built. After that, you only get brought into the new code if you do a major renovation. Older homes that have not been renovated are code compliant without them as long as they are not adding outdoor outlets for the first time.

If you glue a magnet to the end of the hammer handle, you can use it to hold your nails without holding them all in your hand.

You would be surprised. Just saying.

If your toilet is clogged, dump a quarter cup of dish soap in the water and let it sit for about 15 minutes. While you wait bring some water to a boil then turn it off. Take the water and dump it in the toiled swiftly. Your clog should flush when you do this.

I swipe as many paint stir paddles as I can when I am buying paint. They come in very handy at leveling things. They make good shims and are easy to cut down to size. They can also be used to make plant labels for the garden, etc. They are good to keep around.

Forum List

Back