Handyman tricks

Dont' know if there is already a thread for handyman tips, so I thought I'd start one.

13413156_1219957794701698_1051506095380117392_n.jpg

Feel free to add more if you like.
Don't be a cheap bastard and shell out the dough for a NEMA 3 enclosure, you enjoy the dough from the insurance company if you ever need to file a claim over it.....

yes plus make sure it is a GFI circuit

I have GFI outlets so I would be fine.....and unless you are working barefoot from the deep end of the pool, you probably would be too.

If you need extra leverage breaking something free try slipping the box end of a wrench or the hole in the handle of a larger tool over your primary tool you are working with, rotate it so the working end of the added tool is on top in the 12 o'clock position and then flipping it back so the working end of the added tool is as 180 degrees opposite the working end of the primary tool as you can get it. Things that won't budge at all sometime will break free with only marginal effort with the extra leverage.
GFI outlets outdoors is code so everyone should have them
You'd be surprised...........

this is a bit involved, but if you have squeaky stair treads, pull the offending tread or treads, apply a good dose of liquid nails, then replace the tread and secure with screws, not nails. It will never squeak again.

I have GFI outlets so I would be fine.....and unless you are working barefoot from the deep end of the pool, you probably would be too.

If you need extra leverage breaking something free try slipping the box end of a wrench or the hole in the handle of a larger tool over your primary tool you are working with, rotate it so the working end of the added tool is on top in the 12 o'clock position and then flipping it back so the working end of the added tool is as 180 degrees opposite the working end of the primary tool as you can get it. Things that won't budge at all sometime will break free with only marginal effort with the extra leverage.
The house we're renting right now is all two wire, GFI won't work, the whole house needs to be upgraded to three wire.

it is only code on new and remodel construction

there are plenty of homes across the country

without GFI anywhere inside or outside of the home

Yeah I know, built and remodeled (residential/commercial) for quite a while before I "retired" from construction due to the onset of deteriorating physical issues.

Yeah I know, built and remodeled (residential/commercial) for quite a while before I "retired" from construction due to the onset of deteriorating physical issues.

hopefully your health stabilizes or improves

Neighbor, 90, has lived in her house for 70 years, recently broke her leg.

Had a realtor check her house for possible sale, found out the wiring needs to be brought up to code before it can be put on the market.

Their goes any inheritance for the kids

Had a realtor check her house for possible sale, found out the wiring needs to be brought up to code before it can be put on the market.

perhaps although there are some less expensive routes

but still does not sound like fun

In my area there are a lot of 1940's error houses that have cloth covered wires in which if you disturb them, you just have uninstalled raw copper wires. Probably not as dangerous as the aluminum wire houses, but still very dangerous.

The house we're renting right now is all two wire, GFI won't work, the whole house needs to be upgraded to three wire.
I remember a while back we rented a house that still had knob and tube wiring

we got the hell out as fast as we could

I remember a while back we rented a house that still had knob and tube wiring

we got the hell out as fast as we could

out here in the olden days anything would fly --LOL

we have a friend with a house like that

to top it off several what are considered "circuits" have

shared neutrals and reverse neutrals

they are going to do a complete remodel

at that time and we will drop in new service

and make their home a lot safer and energy efficient

If your toilet is clogged, dump a quarter cup of dish soap in the water and let it sit for about 15 minutes. While you wait bring some water to a boil then turn it off. Take the water and dump it in the toiled swiftly. Your clog should flush when you do this.

Drain cleaner maintenance: baking soda followed by vinegar. Bubble bubble boil away trubble.

I love vinegar. Kills mildew, great for removing tarnish from brass and copper too, just soak.

If your toilet is clogged, dump a quarter cup of dish soap in the water and let it sit for about 15 minutes. While you wait bring some water to a boil then turn it off. Take the water and dump it in the toiled swiftly. Your clog should flush when you do this.

Drain cleaner maintenance: baking soda followed by vinegar. Bubble bubble boil away trubble.

I love vinegar. Kills mildew, great for removing tarnish from brass and copper too, just soak.

It is ok on routine clogs and hot water and dawn dish soap does well too. I prefer draino crystals because of the heat. It is a trick I learned when living in the most uninsulated house in the western hemisphere. My drains would freeze due to the vent stack being on the outside of the wall. Now, I only get an occasional clog on the slave side of the kitchen sink, but a plunger will take care of that followed by the dawn and hot water. I do have some toxic two chemical drain cleaner I never use. It comes in 2 different bottles you pour in at the same time and run for your life. I keep it just in case because there is a very complicated set of drains converging in one spot under the house--two toilets, two sinks, two stand up showers and one tub all coming together in a short span. If there is ever a clog there, who knows what it would take to clear it.

It is ok on routine clogs and hot water and dawn dish soap does well too. I prefer draino crystals because of the heat. It is a trick I learned when living in the most uninsulated house in the western hemisphere. My drains would freeze due to the vent stack being on the outside of the wall. Now, I only get an occasional clog on the slave side of the kitchen sink, but a plunger will take care of that followed by the dawn and hot water. I do have some toxic two chemical drain cleaner I never use. It comes in 2 different bottles you pour in at the same time and run for your life. I keep it just in case because there is a very complicated set of drains converging in one spot under the house--two toilets, two sinks, two stand up showers and one tub all coming together in a short span. If there is ever a clog there, who knows what it would take to clear it.

Yeah I agree. When I had a serious clog the BS and vinegar would handle it a little but when it persisted I had to get Drano.

New Topics

Forum List

Back