Half-century old B-52s warplanes now delivering ‘precision strikes’ against Islamic State

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Looks like the B-52's are doing a good job.

Half-century old B-52s warplanes now delivering ‘precision strikes’ against Islamic State

Published time: 21 Apr, 2016 03:32
Get short URL
571847d0c361882c758b45b0.jpg

A U.S. Air Force B-52 © Kim Hong-Ji / Reuters
B-52 bombers old enough to order from a 24-hour diner’s senior discount menu are now conducting “precision strikes” over Iraq and Syria against Islamic State – and the upgraded warplanes still have a long life ahead of them, US military officials say.

An Islamic State (IS, formerly ISIS/ISIL) weapons storage facility in Qayyarah, Iraq was targeted by a B-52 firing guided bombs on Monday, Colonel Steve Warren, spokesman of Operation Inherent Resolve, the US mission against IS, told Agence France-Presse (AFP) on Wednesday.

A B-52’s full name is the B-52 Stratofortress. Introduced in the 1950s, many with around 55 years under their belts still fly – a testament to their engineering. The B-52 bomber is pictured in the movie Dr. Strangelove, but its real history in several war zones over the decades is also remembered by many. The plane has been through some changes, however, including in the weapons it delivers.

Continue reading at:

https://www.rt.com/usa/340439-b-52-precision-strikes-islamic-state/?-52's ar

It's the guided bombs.
A 57 Chevy pickup can still deliver milk.

If you say so. I am not aircraft literate. By the way, a 57 Chevy pickup would not be delivering milk these days. The owner would be attending classic car rallies.

It's the guided bombs.

If you say so. I am not aircraft literate. By the way, a 57 Chevy pickup would not be delivering milk these days. The owner would be attending classic car rallies.

Yeah...but it could still deliver milk while it wasnt attending car shows.

I don't think the owners would want to spoil a good restoration job. When I was a kid. the milkmen in New York City had regular milk trucks in which to deliver the homogenized milk.

It's the guided bombs.

Yeah...but it could still deliver milk while it wasnt attending car shows.

I don't think the owners would want to spoil a good restoration job. When I was a kid. the milkmen in New York City had regular milk trucks in which to deliver the homogenized milk.

When I was a kid they delivered milk from the dairy I helped run every two days.
We got fresh butter,cream and milk left on our door step.
Never died or got sick,....

Forum List

Back