Haley Barbour Praises Racist Organization

I didn't see any racism.

Because there wasn't any.
His comments had to do with a specific place, Yazoo City, and the council there telling the Klan to beat it. That other orgs with the same name in different places were actually racist is not germane here.

Well, according to Barbour's backtracking, it looks like he disagrees with you AND himself:

"My point was my town rejected the Ku Klux Klan, but nobody should construe that to mean I think the town leadership were saints, either. Their vehicle, called the 'Citizens Council,' is totally indefensible, as is segregation. It was a difficult and painful era for Mississippi, the rest of the country, and especially African Americans who were persecuted in that time,"

Barbour backtracks on race remark

Once again, to my delight, the wingnuts continue to defend someone for something the someone is no longer even defending himself. lol

I guess it wasn't politically expedient for him to stick by his guns this time.:lol:

Haley_Barbour_at_FEMA_conference%2C_Apr_14%2C_2006.jpg

dukehogg.JPG

You know, one day I hope we will all realize there are greater sins than racism.
Yeah....what's the big-deal with being harassed/marginalized daily, merely because of your skin-color, right?? :rolleyes:

That'd (of course) be the same for children who're being bullied, right??

(You're not really that stupid, are you???? :eusa_eh: )​

I didn't see any racism.

Because there wasn't any.
His comments had to do with a specific place, Yazoo City, and the council there telling the Klan to beat it. That other orgs with the same name in different places were actually racist is not germane here.

Well, according to Barbour's backtracking, it looks like he disagrees with you AND himself:

"My point was my town rejected the Ku Klux Klan, but nobody should construe that to mean I think the town leadership were saints, either. Their vehicle, called the 'Citizens Council,' is totally indefensible, as is segregation. It was a difficult and painful era for Mississippi, the rest of the country, and especially African Americans who were persecuted in that time,"

Barbour backtracks on race remark

Once again, to my delight, the wingnuts continue to defend someone for something the someone is no longer even defending himself. lol
Amusing, aren't they??? :lol:

If you've ever had young-children, reading Republicans/"conservatives" can't (even) be considered work.

:rolleyes:

In Indianola, Miss., members of the Citizens Council have been buttonholing patients of Negro Physician Clinton Battle, have warned them that they will lose their jobs if they continue to consult him. Reason: Battle, the first Negro in Sunflower County to register and vote, had been urging other Negroes to follow suit. The council's campaign has been so successful that at the last election not a single Negro—including Dr. Battle—appeared at the polls.
¶In Belzoni, Miss., the Citizens Council learned that Negro Undertaker T. B. Johnson is a member of the pro-integration Regional Council of Negro Leadership, warned him that he had better not take the job of being chairman of the local Negro Boy Scouts. If he did, said his white townsmen, he would never get a penny of credit in Belzoni again. Told that he might also be run out of town, Johnson gave in.
¶In Columbus, Miss., the Bank of Commerce told Negro Dentist Emmett Stringer, ex-president of the state N.A.A.C.P., that though it had lent him money in the past, it would not do so in the future. Other citizens have taken up the practice of calling Stringer's mother up in the middle of the night to report: "Dr. Stringer has been killed." Added one imaginative caller: "Do you have his body yet?"

Read more: Education: The Bite - TIME

I guess we see the past in rose colored glasses.

Sourpuss. He could have been the frontrunner if he hadn't opened his big mouth.
Whew!!!!!

You must be a Republican!!

You actually BELIEVE he could have hidden his past??!!!! :eusa_eh:

You must be a product of the U.S. education system. You actually believe that's what I meant?
:cuckoo:
How many different ways can you read:

He could have been the frontrunner if he hadn't opened his big mouth.

:eusa_eh:

Whew!!!!!

You must be a Republican!!

You actually BELIEVE he could have hidden his past??!!!! :eusa_eh:

You must be a product of the U.S. education system. You actually believe that's what I meant?
:cuckoo:
How many different ways can you read:

He could have been the frontrunner if he hadn't opened his big mouth.

:eusa_eh:
There's speaking about the past in an accurate manner, then there's speaking about the past the way he did it. It's all depends on how retarded you are, actually.

Barbour was raised in blatantly racist Mississippi. Every community was openly racist,some more so than others. Barbour was pointing out that his town did not have the riots and unrest that other towns did. He credited the Citizens Councils for keeping a level of peace
He did not excuse the racism of the day,only said it was different in every town

Last edited:

Forum List

Back