Haley Barbour Praises Racist Organization

Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Now, watch Haley try to save himself from his own remarks.

Haley Barbour?s Race Gaffe: He Needs a Civil Rights History Lesson - The Daily Beast

As Mississippi's Haley Barbour faces outrage for praising a historically racist organization, Harold Evans says he wishes the governor could have met an unsung hero like P.D. East, who fought the wrongs perpetrated against blacks instead of explaining away the injustices.
Haley Barbour, the governor of Mississippi, is a burly, straight-talking, warm, and genial fellow. He is often talked of as a presidential candidate. If he does run, I'd advise him to brush up on his American history pretty quickly.
Rogelio V. Solis / AP Photo
As Benjamin Sarlin reported on The Daily Beast, Barbour is offering a rosy picture of an organization throughout the Deep South in the 1950s and '60s known as the Citizens Councils. According to Barbour, who grew up in Yazoo City, Mississippi, the councils were benign, "an organization of town leaders hostile to the Ku Klux Klan… In Yazoo City, they passed a resolution that anybody who started a chapter of the Klan would get their ass run out of town."
That is not what I saw. I was in Mississippi in 1956 as a newspaper reporter from Britain. Traveling extensively for six months in the Deep South, I saw firsthand the activities of the White Citizens Council—as they called themselves then. They were just the Klan in a white collar.
<more>

I think this is manufactured outrage.

He was probably being somewhat insensitive, but I don't think he was being prejudicial nor malicious. I think he just said what he experienced growing up.

He should continue to run for the nomination.

I think this is manufactured outrage.

He was probably being somewhat insensitive, but I don't think he was being prejudicial nor malicious. I think he just said what he experienced growing up.

He should continue to run for the nomination.

I think you are probably right, but if it even vaguely looks like he has a chance of defeating Obama (or whoever the Democratic Party nominates) in 2012, this will be a huge weapon the left will use against him.

He screwed up by giving them this weapon.

Immie

Two questions:

- How do you feel about Robert Byrd being an actual member of the KKK?
- And what is the nature of the New Black Panthers?

Who's the Congressmen who lied about getting spit on on the day Obamacare was signed?

What were his civil rights era recollections worth when comparing Obamacare protestors to southern racists?

So what?

Obama praised the NAACP.

So our own president has praised a racist organization.

Obama praised La Raza (translation: The Race) , also a racist organization.

So our own president has praised two racist organizations.

Obama has praised CAIR, also a racist organization.

So...........yep, thats 3.

Obama once praised Jeremiah Wright and that church, obviously a racist organization.

Uhh ohh boy........thats 4.

Probably trying to appeal to the "biggest ideological group." no-brainer there...

Barbour: Citizens Council 'Indefensible' - Garance Franke-Ruta - Politics - The Atlantic

Other Barbour comments that add to the picture, Geraghty wrote, were:

Barbour fondly remembering a black classmate at the University of Mississippi in 1965 and recalling his time there as "a very pleasant experience." The classmate, Verna Bailey, recalls the time quite differently: "I don't remember him at all, no, because during that time that certainly wasn't a pleasant experience for me," she said. "My interactions with white people were very, very limited. Very, very few reached out at all."
His comment that the controversy about commemorating Confederate History Month in Virginia "doesn't amount to diddly."
His statement that he attended "integrated" schools -- he attended during the 50s and early 60s - when Mississippi schools were not effectively integrated until 1970.

Sorry to disappoint, but Haley Barbour is a dude.

EDIT: Moon Scooped Moi!

JINX!

This guy's deperation rationalization are still another example of that Southern Heritage that some of our fellow Americans are so proud of, I suppose.

This guy's deperate rationalization is still another example of that Southern Heritage that some of our fellow Americans are so proud of, I suppose.

Last edited:
Two questions:

- How do you feel about Robert Byrd being an actual member of the KKK?
- And what is the nature of the New Black Panthers?

And what exactly does that have to do with Haley Barbour being a liar?

Robert Byrd is dead, in case you haven't heard, which wouldn't surprise me. And Robert Byrd never tried to rewrite his past.

So what?

Obama praised the NAACP.

So our own president has praised a racist organization.

Obama praised La Raza (translation: The Race) , also a racist organization.

So our own president has praised two racist organizations.

Obama has praised CAIR, also a racist organization.

So...........yep, thats 3.

Obama once praised Jeremiah Wright and that church, obviously a racist organization.

Uhh ohh boy........thats 4.

Do you realize that none of that nonsense is a defense of Haley Barbour?

btw, does anyone actually take seriously the prospect of a fat toad like Barbour winning the GOP presidential nomination?

You know, the more I think about this, I can understand a little bit of what Mr. Barbour said regarding his years in school.

It appears that I am about 10 years younger than Mr. Barbour was and I grew up and went to school in California. I have to say, that I did not know about all the race issues while I was in school. To me, the color of a student's skin really didn't make any difference. My schools did not have a large population of minorities, but it did not seem to me like those who were there had it all that bad. It never really occurred to me that there was any real difference or that the minorities had it rougher than I did. Little did I know.

So his comments about it not seeming all that bad, are understandable to me. Little did he know back then.

Of course, now I realize things are/were different, but to sheltered me, I did not know how different things were.

Perhaps, if he had stopped right there, his comments could have been excused. But he did not. He went on praising the "Citizen's Council" formerly known as the "White Citizen's Council". Well, the only commentary I have heard in regards to that was from a pundit named Lawrence O'Donnell on MSNBC this morning at One AM. First time I had ever watched his show and it seems that he is well left of left. Him being a talking head, I don't trust anything he says and being obviously slanted makes everything he says even more questionable. If any of what he said about the Citizen's Council is true then Barbour may as well throw in the towel now.

Immie

Forum List

Back