Haitian sugar cane workers denied pensions in the Dominican Republic

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
BROOKLYN – Haitian sugar cane workers in the Dominican Republic are struggling to access their retirement funds after decades of work, according to a new report published last week.

The workers had contributed to their retirement funds in the Dominican Republic through a system linked to an identification card called a ficha, according to the report by Friedrich Ebert Stiftung, a nonprofit funded by the German government.

Haitian migrant workers without legal status in the Dominican Republic were assigned a ficha by the Sugar State Council, the government agency overseeing the sugar cane industry. Each ficha would register a worker’s contribution to their retirement fund.

I wonder if any of this was addressed when Biden and Harris met with the DR at CARICOM about sugar trade. I mean because this is the crew that is really big right now on human rights, right?

I think these people should have learned about this BEFORE pursuing a career in the Dominican sugar cane industry.

Bitching and complaining about difficulties in getting a pension after the the work is already done seems to be an exercise in futility.

Ok. But, I find it absolutely crazy that we have some 7,000 people headed for our border and the Democratic Party spent an enormous amount of time talking about how several nation-states needed us to pay them to keep their people.

It appears that Biden and Harris were gifted the opportunity to address something vital--definitely human rights. But, did they?

Ok. But, I find it absolutely crazy that we have some 7,000 people headed for our border and the Democratic Party spent an enormous amount of time talking about how several nation-states needed us to pay them to keep their people.

It appears that Biden and Harris were gifted the opportunity to address something vital--definitely human rights. But, did they?
Can you imagine chopping sugar cane from sun up til down. All of us here should work a Summer internship so we could kiss the ground when we return

I don't want to walk a mile in those shoes. I am glad that I was born here.
When you look at all the lives you could have been stuck with, this is a paradise.

And if you ever want 3rd world, we have it in Chitcago and LA too

When you look at all the lives you could have been stuck with, this is a paradise.

And if you ever want 3rd world, we have it in Chitcago and LA too
I know, right? I love being a US citizen. We have areas all over that are slums but we have not been designated as a sugar plantation.

I know, right? I love being a US citizen. We have areas all over that are slums but we have not been designated as a sugar plantation.
True. But we have a large swath of Democrapper Plantations though...chuckle...chuckle

That's unfortunate.

That's disgusting.

However, this happens all too often.

Also--can you imagine the pittance a sugar cane worker would receive in pension?

The evil of man toward man.

Forum List

Back