Haditha the new My Lai?

Apr 12, 2006
New Jersey
Lawmaker says Marines killed Iraqis 'in cold blood'
Citing ongoing investigation, Marines mum
From Jamie McIntyre
CNN

Thursday, May 18, 2006; Posted: 11:37 p.m. EDT (03:37 GMT)

Rep. John Murtha says Marines went into homes and killed innocent Iraqi women and children.

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A decorated Marine colonel turned anti-war congressman said Wednesday that Marines killed at least 30 innocent Iraqi civilians "in cold blood" in Haditha in November, suggesting the attack is twice as bad as originally reported.

Rep. John Murtha, D-Pennsylvania, told reporters Wednesday that he got his information from U.S. commanders, who said the investigation will show that the Marines deliberately killed the civilians.

The U.S. Marine Corps has declined to comment on the report, which initially stated that 15 were killed.

"There was no firefight. There was no IED that killed these innocent people. Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them, and they killed innocent civilians in cold blood," Murtha said.

Murtha, who was decorated for his service in Vietnam, said the death toll may be more than twice as high as originally reported.

"They actually went into the houses and killed women and children," the congressman said.

Citing an ongoing investigation, the Marine Corps said, "Any comment at this time would be inappropriate and could undermine the investigatory and possible legal process."

The Iraqi civilians were killed while troops from the 3rd Battalion, 1st Marines were looking for insurgents who planted a roadside bomb that killed a member of their unit.

At first, the Marines said the civilians were killed by a roadside bomb. Later, they suggested the victims may have been caught in a firefight.

An Iraqi human rights group, Hammurabi Human Rights Association, caught the scene on video, which was obtained by Time magazine. A criminal investigation ensued.

Last month, the battalion commander and two company commanders were relieved of their commands and reassigned to staff jobs at Camp Pendleton in California.

Sources close to the investigation said it is too soon to say whether anyone will face criminal charges, but key aspects of the original Marine account have not checked out.

Murtha supported the invasion of Iraq in 2003, but last November, he distanced himself from the Bush administration and called for the withdrawal of U.S. troops because of what he called "a flawed policy wrapped in illusion."

link

Nice. We have a Congressman who has tried and convicted the Marines without the encumberance of a trial.

CSM said:
Nice. We have a Congressman who has tried and convicted the Marines without the encumberance of a trial.

Not only that but he also magically knows their motives-

Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them, and they killed innocent civilians in cold blood

Mr. P said:
A disgrace to the Marines, the Military, and the United States, IMO nuff said.

How so?

Speaking against war is not disgraceful. This nation was not built on a warmonger mentality. When you send soldiers off to fight controversial wars...you do nothing but jeapordize the military's integrity.

Abusing the privilege of owning the worlds best military is disgraceful...Advising discretion is honorable.

1549 said:
How so?

Speaking against war is not disgraceful. This nation was not built on a warmonger mentality. When you send soldiers off to fight controversial wars...you do nothing but jeapordize the military's integrity.

Abusing the privilege of owning the worlds best military is disgraceful...Advising discretion is honorable.

There's nothing wrong with criticizing the war. There is a problem with making baseless accusations of war crimes. Responding to this by saying how it's not wrong criticize the war is like saying "Well, what's so bad about baseball?" to somebody talking about Barry Bonds' steroid use.

Hobbit said:
There's nothing wrong with criticizing the war. There is a problem with making baseless accusations of war crimes. Responding to this by saying how it's not wrong criticize the war is like saying "Well, what's so bad about baseball?" to somebody talking about Barry Bonds' steroid use.

Before you make a post like that, read the context of Mr. P's comment. Look at the line he was addressing...specifically the part he bolded.

1549 said:
Before you make a post like that, read the context of Mr. P's comment. Look at the line he was addressing...specifically the part he bolded.
The bolded part was just to show he's anti. Most likely anti Bush.
He's a political opportunist. He’s been in combat, and knows very well his accusations are total BULLSHIT! Like I said, He’s a disgrace.

1549 said:
How so?

I agree with the bolded...The rest is pretty much total BULLSHIT!

Unfortunatley I already knew about all of this, truly a tragic event. I would say this congressman is being an opportunist, but that doesn't necessarily make him wrong. He should have been more responsible as to his statments due to his position in power.

I don't think it can be debated what happened, it's a disgrace to the Marine Corps, and to America in general. I can empathize, however, and cannot rightfully say how I would have reacted. Don't condemn, all parties are hurt for many reasons in this tragedy.

It's a stupid situation, not the war persee, just... you know. God be with all of them in these troubled times.

Just as a tiny aside. The term My Lai is bandied about when stories like this are on foot. It's a bit like Watergate - now everything is a 'gate, what did we call them before the break-in that's called Watergate? Anyway back to my point.

Soldiers have - given the right conditions - sometimes killed non-combatants deliberately.. It has been happening for thousands of years before My Lai. And any group of soldiers from any country's forces are capable of doing so - if, as I said, all the factors that foster this behaviour are in place. None of us likes to think that our soldiers (I say "soldier" as a convenient shorthand to encompass mililtary personnel) would do such a thing. The truth is that none of us can make that claim.

Before My Lai was Lidice before Lidice there were others. Human nature at work.

He's a disgrace to the Marine Corps for stating such things. What kind of retired Marine goes and discredits the Marine Corps? He's a fucking joke looking for a foot in on the political table. He needs to shut his mouth and let the investigation make the accusations.

First I thought Murtha lost his marbels but it seems the evidence
is quite strong. If his speaking out helps to prevent a whitewash then
he did the Marines a service in the long run.

Murdering civilians would be quite a disgrace.

That's what it seems like he's doing by saying this. I think it's unconscionable for him to do this. Aren't liberals the biggest advocates of "innocent until proven guilty"? These guys (to my knowledge) have not even been charged.

nosarcasm said:
First I thought Murtha lost his marbels but it seems the evidence
is quite strong. If his speaking out helps to prevent a whitewash then
he did the Marines a service in the long run.

Murdering civilians would be quite a disgrace.
How can you judge 'how strong' the evidence is, when it hasn't been presented?

Forum List

Back