Guns gave us a civilized society

It failed because the original assault weapons ban was riddled with holes, and thus the ban did little to mitigate the flow of assault weapons.

So yeah it was tried, but a ban that actually bans the sale of more assault weapons would be highly novel.

Like the bans in Britton? Or the ones in Australia? Or the city bans that were even more strict than the national ones? Perhaps the state bans that were strict?

I posted many examples with strengthening AND relaxing weapons regulations. NONE worked. You are taking a single example out of the sea that is available to you and even that one does not support your claim. I guess you could make blanket claims that your very specific idea has not been tried but the facts are that a wide variety of gun control has been tried all over the world as well as in the states and the vast majority of them are coming up with little to no evidence supporting any change whatsoever.

No. The USA is unique in its treatment of gun ownership, due to both the 2nd Amendment and the gun lobby, principally the NRA.

So we need to do our own experiments and not rely on those in environments very unlike ours.

As I pointed out (and you promptly ignored) bans have been tried in the states as well. Those bans are very broad ranged from minor regulations all the way to the damn near outright bans.

The point still stands, they have been tried and they have failed and you continue to demand that we try them again.

It would be unlawful to confiscate weapons from people who already legally own them. That may be one reason the sale of AR-15s just went through the roof again. You can't even find one to buy right now - they are on long back-orders for buyers.
In Switzerland every household has at lease one "assault" weapon in it. The government there supplies it's citizens with ammo so they can practice. The people are encouraged to carry their weapons everywhere and yet they have no gun violence on record - none.
The people are trained and must keep and bear arms - it is not a right in Switzerland it is a duty.
The western Europeans have a higher rate of gun crime when they have had gun bans in place for decades - and their rates are rising every year. Maybe we ought to follow Switzerland's lead and make guns mandatory and begin training people in grade school on how to use them safely.

Like the bans in Britton? Or the ones in Australia? Or the city bans that were even more strict than the national ones? Perhaps the state bans that were strict?

I posted many examples with strengthening AND relaxing weapons regulations. NONE worked. You are taking a single example out of the sea that is available to you and even that one does not support your claim. I guess you could make blanket claims that your very specific idea has not been tried but the facts are that a wide variety of gun control has been tried all over the world as well as in the states and the vast majority of them are coming up with little to no evidence supporting any change whatsoever.

No. The USA is unique in its treatment of gun ownership, due to both the 2nd Amendment and the gun lobby, principally the NRA.

So we need to do our own experiments and not rely on those in environments very unlike ours.

As I pointed out (and you promptly ignored) bans have been tried in the states as well. Those bans are very broad ranged from minor regulations all the way to the damn near outright bans.

The point still stands, they have been tried and they have failed and you continue to demand that we try them again.

State bans are ineffective since crossing state lines is a relatively small inconvenience, as the NRA and gun makers / dealers are well aware.

So they mildly oppose them and then highlight the ineffectiveness saying bans do not work, full knowing only federal bans do, which would hamper their sales, in case you're wondering why local vans meet with little resistance, while opposition to federal bans brings out their most aggressive opposition.

State bans are ineffective since crossing state lines is a relatively small inconvenience, as the NRA and gun makers / dealers are well aware.

So they mildly oppose them and then highlight the ineffectiveness saying bans do not work, full knowing only federal bans do, which would hamper their sales, in case you're wondering why local vans meet with little resistance, while opposition to federal bans brings out their most aggressive opposition.

They fight them in court all the time.

In other words, it wasn't reason that triumphed over force, it was guns that defeated it.

Guns turned the American west from a place where the strong triumphed over the weak to a place where farmers planted crops and built towns that became cities. Without guns we would be living under feudalism, not as free people. Taking gins out of the hands of people will turn our society from one where everyone is equal to one where the strong, who are usually the young, rule by fiat.

Guns turned the American west from a place where the Native Indians Lived in Harmony with Nature to a place where Large pharma companies drug up Americans to cause mayhem at a profit for arms dealers, Mazel Tov

In other words, it wasn't reason that triumphed over force, it was guns that defeated it.

Guns turned the American west from a place where the strong triumphed over the weak to a place where farmers planted crops and built towns that became cities. Without guns we would be living under feudalism, not as free people. Taking gins out of the hands of people will turn our society from one where everyone is equal to one where the strong, who are usually the young, rule by fiat.

Guns turned the American west from a place where the Native Indians Lived in Harmony with Nature to a place where Large pharma companies drug up Americans to cause mayhem at a profit for arms dealers, Mazel Tov

Hate to burst your liberal delusions, but the natives never lived in harmony with anything, including each other.

So the national ban being considered you think they'll let it go and then file a token suit and leave it to the courts?

Not on your life. They're already buying up Capitol Hill.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

R.A Heinlein.

"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."

R.A Heinlein.

Then the USA would be the most polite society on the planet.

But perhaps we are, and the latest nut case politely urged students, with something to the effect of, "Excuse me, children; would you be ever so kind as to stand against that wall..."

R.A Heinlein.

But perhaps we are, and the latest nut case politely urged students, with something to the effect of, "Excuse me, children; would you be ever so kind as to stand against that wall..."

Reality is lost on people like you.

The school was a Gun Free Zone. The mentally disturbed shooter knew he would not meet anyone who could answer him in kind.

R.A Heinlein.

Reality is lost on people like you.

The school was a Gun Free Zone. The mentally disturbed shooter knew he would not meet anyone who could answer him in kind.

You people wouldn't know reality if it was giving you head.

Meanwhile the mental case was fucking nuts and on a suicide mission or listening to the voices in his head. Who knows?

But you think he reasoned where he might be unopposed in a flash of lucid murderous aggression?

Nice "reality." I guess that's what the kids are calling absurd speculation is it?

So the national ban being considered you think they'll let it go and then file a token suit and leave it to the courts?

My mistake. I thought you knew what you were talking about.

NRA has strong lobby in states - Dec. 20, 2012

Last edited:

R.A Heinlein.

We are not an armed society. The only people who carry guns all the time in this country are cops, and they think everyone should be nice to them, and are willing to beat the crap out of anyone who talks back to them.

R.A Heinlein.

We are not an armed society. The only people who carry guns all the time in this country are cops, and they think everyone should be nice to them, and are willing to beat the crap out of anyone who talks back to them.

I have a CCP. And yet I endure rudeness. Go figure.

Look at where the big money goes: DC.

Look at the top 20 candidate contribs: All US Cong/Sen.

Look where millions in lobbying and PAC money goes.

Where did NRA lobbyists come from: federal government.

Their state level efforts are small, comparatively.

The fact remains that the US has 300 million guns in circulation, if guns made society safer it would be the safest country in the world...as we know from instances like this, it is definitely not...

Dear UG: Don't forget to take into account also
the number of people with
* drug and criminal addiction/abuse issues
* untreated mental illness or mood disorders

We used to lock up people or lobotomize and shock them to death.

Now that people are given more freedom to either
a) try to manage their existing issues with medication
b) mess themselves up with legal or illegal drugs and addictions

we have a lot more crime that is connected with drug issues
whether legal or illegal

whatever crime problems or crime rates we already had,
the drug issues compounded, escalated and multiplied those,
and cost the states millions in public resources without solving these problems
where our resources COULD have gone into education/counseling, health care
and housing to curb instead of exacerbate these costly problems!

Wow Koios and Quantum:
If we could just get all those NRA lobbyists with money to invest
to team up with the advocates pushing for REAL mental health
and safe housing reforms needed under "health care", maybe we COULD fund some
Constitutional alternatives to ACA, by investing in more jobs and medical education/services
in the private sector (instead of the govt messing with gun and health care legislation on the outside that doesn't solve the root problems of why people who need help aren't getting it).

Ya think?

I have a CCP. And yet I endure rudeness. Go figure.

If you have a CCP you know there are places it is illegal for you to carry that weapon, those laws do not apply to cops. Care to point out where I am wrong, or are you simply going to pretend you win the point and ignore me?

Didn't even read the link, did you?

Much of gun regulation, however, happens at the state level, where the NRA wields even more power, especially in parts of the countrywith large populations of registered hunters and gun users.

Forum List

Back