Guns gave us a civilized society

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by Quantum Windbag, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    I just discovered this blog post, and it got me to thinking about things in a way I never actually articulated to myself before.

why the gun is civilization. « the munchkin wrangler.

There is a simple fact of life that most people do not really think about, all human interaction boils down to one of two things, reason, or force.

People today like to pretend they live in a society where reason has triumphed over force, they are wrong. If that was true, we would live in a society where violence does not happen at all. (Please note, the fact that violence exists does not prove that that we live in a violent society. Whether or not our society is violent is a separate discussion to my point, and not one that I believe is critical to the point I want to make.)

If you want to convince someone who is stronger than you of the merits of your arguments you have to either accept the fact that he might decide to ignore your reason and opt to use force, or find away to negate his advantage in force over you. Guns are that equalizer, and they are why control passed from the hands of people who could fight to the hands of people who can think. In other words, it wasn't reason that triumphed over force, it was guns that defeated it.

Guns turned the American west from a place where the strong triumphed over the weak to a place where farmers planted crops and built towns that became cities. Without guns we would be living under feudalism, not as free people. Taking gins out of the hands of people will turn our society from one where everyone is equal to one where the strong, who are usually the young, rule by fiat.

2. Urbanguerrilla

Urbanguerrilla Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +148
    The fact remains that the US has 300 million guns in circulation, if guns made society safer it would be the safest country in the world...as we know from instances like this, it is definitely not...

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  3. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,116
    We took the West away from the Indians because we had greater firepower. Is that what you mean?

4. midcan5

midcan5 liberal / progressive

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,287
    Civilized!

[​IMG]

5. Defiant1

Defiant1 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +983
    No. If people "open carried" their weapons, which is my interpretation of the 2nd amendment, we would be safer.

6. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,337
    In places where there is strict gun control, like Los Angeles, Detroit, Chicago, Washington DC there is much more crime and violence than in places where the population is more likely to be armed.

It is like a war and many areas of the country have been described as war zones. Liberals only want one side armed.

7. ChrisfromDenver

ChrisfromDenver Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Wow.

Really?

Wow.

whew.

Wow.

I really can't believe what I'm reading here

Blows the mind, seriously

The social economic/population/ and rising incomes of the United States as well as increased police enforcement are just discounted? The industrialization ? discounted? Economic policies that allowed people to rise and aspire to a better life? Forget about tit

its the guns

seriously, so many countries did not allow guns and prospered just fine. Man some people when they make up ideas, they really MAKE up ideas.

8. ChrisfromDenver

ChrisfromDenver Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Correlation Vs. causation

Places with low gun tolerance are normally socio-econimic conditions wich support widespread gun violence. Gun laws are a response to violence.

its a bit like saying malaria shots must cause malaria, because only areas where they give the shots they have malaria.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. LilOlLady

LilOlLady Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +761
    If every american believed as you do, it's no wonder we are having so much violence. This is what the white man live by and what he bought to america. Sad but true and live by the sword, die by the sword. Humans don't need guns to be free, they only need to be human and not animalistic as guns has made us. The stong usually lack a brain.

10. ChrisfromDenver

ChrisfromDenver Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My interpretation of the 2nd amendment is, you can get a gun if you join the national guard.

regardless -

It feels like you want to put a swimming pool in everyone backyard so that people stop drowning. The very act you propose is not correlated to protection. It only increases your chance of dying (or your household)

For every 1 in 40 million spree shooting event you might prevent, a few hundred will die by suicide, a few hundred more by accident, a few hundred more by spouse on spouse violence.

Your solution would kill more people than the problem does.

(and btw: if you quote a study, make sure its not one taken during a nation wide crime decrease or increase. . .)

You know what is funny. I heard the same exact crap about Aurora (nearbye to me). They say its the only theater that bans guns. wow. really? except All major chains ban guns, Regal, UA, and Cinemark. I can't believe the media just lets these people lie on TV.