"Gun show" "loophole"? Please explain.

I define loophole as an omission in the law one is allowed to take advantage of to get around the essence of the law.

Loophole:
an ambiguity or inadequacy in the law or a set of rules.
"they exploited tax loopholes"
synonyms: means of evasion, means of avoidance;

I'm not advocating anything I'm just trying to learn something here. The basis of the OP seems to be that if it's not in the law there is no gap in the law which in my view negates loophole being used in regard to any legislation.

A gun show loophole would allow gun vendors to sell without getting a background check...that is not happening.

I define loophole as an omission in the law one is allowed to take advantage of to get around the essence of the law.
There is is no way to legally avoid the background checks specified in federal law; thus, there is no loophole in that federal law.

Loophole - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Non liquet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A loophole is something absent in a law. It seems you're equating "loophole in the law" with "provisions or terms of the law".

I've got no horse in this race and was simply trying to understand your point. But I've leave it at simply, I don't.

I hate to say it M14, but camp is right. A "loophole" is a "hole" in the law that allows something to be done legally.
Nothing in the law requiring background checks allows you to legally avoid the background checks specified in the law.
Thus, no loophole.

Oh I'm not saying there is a "gun show loophole" I'm only referring to you saying someone was incorrect saying a loophole allows things to be done legally. That is true. A loophole allows a legal circumvention of the law.

I'm totally on your side with this! =)

I hate to say it M14, but camp is right. A "loophole" is a "hole" in the law that allows something to be done legally.
well I'd say that first you have to have something being done that does not follow the law. That isn't the case. Just saying. If everyone is following the law, where's the hole? That's the argument.

There is is no way to legally avoid the background checks specified in federal law; thus, there is no loophole in that federal law.

A loophole is something absent in a law. It seems you're equating "loophole in the law" with "provisions or terms of the law".
I've got no horse in this race and was simply trying to understand your point. But I've leave it at simply, I don't.
A loophole is an error, omission or oversight in a law that allows people to technically avoid thee provisions of that law.
Federal law mandates that anyone that buys a gun thru a dealer must undergo a background check.
There is no legal way to avoid this; all such purchases must undergo these checks.
As such, there is no loophole in the law.

Not sure why you do not understand this.

Federal law requiring background checks for firearms purchases apply everywhere in the US.
There is no legal way to avoid the background check specified by that law.

How is there "loophole" in the law?
How is that "loophole" specific to gun shows?

Please try to respond w/o resorting to emotion, ignorance and/or dishonesty.
I can sell you my gun person to person and I don't have to do a background check on you.

Federal law requiring background checks for firearms purchases apply everywhere in the US.

I can sell you my gun person to person and I don't have to do a background check on you.
Which does not in any way demonstrate a loophole in the law.

Loophole:

I'm not advocating anything I'm just trying to learn something here. The basis of the OP seems to be that if it's not in the law there is no gap in the law which in my view negates loophole being used in regard to any legislation.

There was never an intention in the law to deny private individuals the right to buy/sell/trade their firearms, nor was there any intention in the law to require background checks for those private transactions. Period.

Now if you would like to try to make the case that was the intent of any of these actual laws...feel free. But keep in mind that claims were made denying any such intent when the laws were passed...and that said laws would not have been passed had such intentions been included.

If the government passes a tax law that says anyone making a gross income of over $400 per year is required to file federal income tax, does that make not filing taxes if you make less than $400 per year a "loophole" in the law?

A loophole is an error, omission or oversight in a law that allows people to technically avoid thee provisions of that law.

A loophole is an error, omission or oversight in a law that allows people to avoid the INTENT of the law.

The intent of background check laws is to prevent maniacs and crooks who would show up on a background check from being able to buy a gun.

Since a maniac or crook can buy a gun at a gunshow or on my front porch without the seller having to do a background check, then the law has a loophole.

Loophole:

There was never an intention in the law to deny private individuals the right to buy/sell/trade their firearms, nor was there any intention in the law to require background checks for those private transactions. Period.
Correct.
That, in part, is why there is no loophole.

A loophole is an error, omission or oversight in a law that allows people to avoid the INTENT of the law.

The intent of background check laws is to prevent maniacs and crooks who would show up on a background check from being able to buy a gun.

Since a maniac or crook can buy a gun at a gunshow or on my front porch without the seller having to do a background check, then the law has a loophole.

No, the intent of the law was to require LICENSED DEALERS to run background checks...there was no intention of including private sales, and if there had been the law would have failed, just like subsequent bills with such intent have failed.

Actually…the real loophole is background check laws….in the first place………they are supposed to stop criminals from getting guns…they do not do that…they do however keep some law abiding citizens from getting guns on the first try…requiring extra paperwork and time to get it cleared up.

The fact that criminals ignore background checks entirely…is that not a loophole? According to what you guys keep saying a loophole is?

Current, federally mandated background checks can't stop criminals or mass shooters from getting guns….is that a loophole?

All shoes with laces must be tied...therefore wearing slip-on shoes is taking advantage of a loophole in the laces law, right?

are you a dealer?

All shoes with laces must be tied...therefore wearing slip-on shoes is taking advantage of a loophole in the laces law, right?
well no, since you stated all shoes with laces. If I have shoes without laces, well they don't qualify under the law. So?

Forum List

Back