Gun free zone

2ndAmendment-e1343046423172.jpg

Maybe a mandatory certification/training course should be required before purchasing certain firearms?

1. Sure but they should only be the most dangerous things that could be abused like drum magazine loaded submachine guns or full autofire rifles. Whether they have plastic stocks are not is irrelevant.

2. This really should be left to the states implement, and not the one-size-fits-all federal government.

Wow a left winger made a movie about it, so did Michael Moore. AGain I dont know why liberals dont punish criminals but want to ban guns? Should we ban Batman? movie theatres? dark rooms? This guy is clearly a moron that thinks he's the Joker and he should be killed just like the Joker, so we should ban the Joker. You guys really are clowns.

Holmes purchased his arsenal over the Internet. There is no way for the Internet to know he's crazy - but the gun range guy knew he wasn't normal.

And how many laws did he break killing all those people?

And yet more laws on top of them is supposed to accomplish WHAT exactly?

Wow a left winger made a movie about it, so did Michael Moore. AGain I dont know why liberals dont punish criminals but want to ban guns? Should we ban Batman? movie theatres? dark rooms? This guy is clearly a moron that thinks he's the Joker and he should be killed just like the Joker, so we should ban the Joker. You guys really are clowns.

Holmes purchased his arsenal over the Internet. There is no way for the Internet to know he's crazy - but the gun range guy knew he wasn't normal.

And how many laws did he break killing all those people?

And yet more laws on top of them is supposed to accomplish WHAT exactly?

this is why the lefties love insanity, if it didnt work the first 15 times, keep at it til it does.

If life was like a video everything would be OK

Is It so.. Gun Free Zone....mp4 - YouTube

If ONE U.S. Marine had been sitting in that theater with a weapon things probably would have turned out differently!

Yes, it would have!!!! Instead of only 12 dead, there would have been a lot more!!! :mad:

We dont know that, point is make people pay for doing this stuff, dont be a pussy liberal and let em off with a warning.

Hahaha, doubtful. The evidence is a lot less steep. It's not really conceivable that officials from the University might've walked in on him massacring theaters full of people in a locker room shower and failed to report it to police or superiors. Much harder to blame someone for not speculating accurately than it is for not reporting a horror they witnessed first-hand.

Then again, reactionary punishment seems to be pretty popular in the court of public opinion these days. Maybe they'll string somebody up on TV.

Once again you're assuming that we're all victims of statistics. -I- am not 43 times more likely to kill myself because I own a gun. Either I am suicidal or I am not, and I am not. -I- am not more likely to engage in domestic violence because I own a gun. Either I am prone to violence against loved ones or I am not, and I am not.

I also don't have, say, teenage family members living with me who might be prone to sneak in and out of windows at night to avoid my notice. No conceivable reason why anyone who belongs would be entering the home in a manner in which they could be mistaken as a home intruder, and in any case, I'm more likely to aim and speak than shoot first and ask later.

But hey, go on assuming that we're all beholden to statistical averages, and then call -other- people dumbasses for understanding that self initiative is exactly that.

So you know what is going to happen in every step of your life from here on out? Really?

Fact is, averages are averages. Guns in the home don't make you safer.

Statistical averages are driven by what people do, not vice versa. They give you an idea of what the typical person is prone to do given various parameters, but they are by no means any more of a psychic indicator of any -particular- case than I am about my own situation.

Especially in the cases you've described (domestic violence and suicide), I refuse to believe that the gun somehow alters the psyche of its owner. You show me a violent/suicidal jackass with a gun and I'll show you a jackass who was violent/suicidal before he ever had the firearm, or would have been so regardless of its acquisition. No matter how many suicides decide to off themselves with guns they own, and no matter how many drunken dumbfucks decide that slapping the shit out of their women isn't sadistic enough, -I- am not bound by their propensity to misuse their guns.

Guns in the home don't make idiots safer. Thankfully, I don't suffer from their affliction. Again, though, I appreciate your concern, condescending though it may be.

Those muskets during that time were 75 caliber or a 69 caliber lead ball projectile.

This is a 75 caliber lead ball
538045d1332391943-dropped-musket-ball-musket-ball-dropped.jpg

It just didn't penetrate and make a little hole with a good chance of surviving a hit it broke bones. Would you want to be hit with one of those?

Thank God the gun control nuts haven't gotten their way yet

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiiQQP4-Ijw]Armed 11 year old Girl Defends Home from 3 armed Burglars: Armed Citizen - YouTube[/ame]

So it's not too unreasonable to say, "Hey, we should make sure someone is not a Schizophrenic loon who thinks he's a comic book character before we sell him a semi-automatic weapon and a 100 round clip!

How would that be accomplished?

The NICS background check will report only that which is part of an official record.

How is a gun dealer to determine the mental health of a potential buyer?

How do employers determine they aren't hiring schizophrenics?

They do actual background checks.

The one thing we are going to find out about this guy is that everyone involved with him knew he was off the rails. Just watching the University give that press conference where they admitted their program was pretty intense, but wouldn't say if they knew he was nuts or not. Nope. We know our asses are getting sued!

If we only held the gun sellers to the same standard. They'd make sure he wasn't nuts.

Guns in the home don't make idiots safer. Thankfully, I don't suffer from their affliction. Again, though, I appreciate your concern, condescending though it may be.

I'm not worried about you eliminating yourself from the gene pool.

I'm worried what happens when the criminals you cower in fear of wait for you to go to work to break into your house and steal your gun. By the way, 10-15% of guns used in crimes are stolen from sensible gun owners like yourself. 27% of them are from sensible gun owners who resold them to such upstanding citizens.

frontline: hot guns: "How Criminals Get Guns" | PBS

Joe at that range with a rifle a headshot is easy peezy and trust me, a marine can easily do that. The smoke would have been as much a obstruction for Holmes as it would have been for a marine.

Why do you seem to think Holmes was just so fucking awesome that he could 17 people or so and a similarly armed civilian could not have stopped him? Body armor is bullshit for sissies when one on one and a well trained shooter doesnt need it for direct confrontations with relatively untrained civilians.

Of the THIRTEEN mass shootings in the last twenty years EVERY DAMNED ONE OF THEM were in gun free areas. In the case of the Aurora shootings the theater banned hand guns, so this fuckhead coward Holmes went to a place where he felt reasonably confident that no one could shoot back.

If he is such a bad ass why doesnt he go and try and shoot up a place that cops frequent? Or an NRA gun show? OR a rifle range?

Because he is a stupid punk who can only shoot people when they are disarmed.

Let people carry everywhere and these assholes wont have a gun free are to go commit mass slaughter in.

Gun free zone = target rich environment for wack-jobs, and nothing more.

Only in gun crazy America can anyone say, "Boy, More guns in that situation would have made it all better."

Frankly, I've been on excercises with MILES equipment (laser tag devices they hook onto soldiers in training) where guys have accidently shot their own guys or missed at close range. And that wasn't when people were in absolute panic for their lives.

Keep in mind, at the time, people initially thought it was a prank or a publicity stunt related to the movie. It took hours to determine that Holmes acted alone. Just not seeing how a few servicemen packing heat would have made that situation better.

So it's not too unreasonable to say, "Hey, we should make sure someone is not a Schizophrenic loon who thinks he's a comic book character before we sell him a semi-automatic weapon and a 100 round clip!

The NICS background check will report only that which is part of an official record.

The one thing we are going to find out about this guy is that everyone involved with him knew he was off the rails. Just watching the University give that press conference where they admitted their program was pretty intense, but wouldn't say if they knew he was nuts or not. Nope. We know our asses are getting sued!

If we only held the gun sellers to the same standard. They'd make sure he wasn't nuts.

What records are being reviewed for the background check?

Mental health records, like health records in general, are confidential.

Mental illness becomes part of the public record only as a result of being adjudicated mentally incompetent, that your are a danger to yourself or others. Or you’ve been committed to a mental institution.

Gun dealers have access to these records when they run the 4473 background check, but otherwise there’d be no record of mental illness.

James Holmes was subjected to the same background check.

If life was like a video everything would be OK

Is It so.. Gun Free Zone....mp4 - YouTube

If ONE U.S. Marine had been sitting in that theater with a weapon things probably would have turned out differently!

Among President Clinton’s first acts upon taking office in 1993 was to disarm U.S. soldiers on military bases. In March 1993, the Army imposed regulations forbidding military personnel from carrying their personal firearms and making it almost impossible for commanders to issue firearms to soldiers in the U.S. for personal protection.
EDITORIAL: End Clinton-era military base gun ban - Washington Times

What records are being reviewed for the background check?

Mental health records, like health records in general, are confidential.

Mental illness becomes part of the public record only as a result of being adjudicated mentally incompetent, that your are a danger to yourself or others. Or you’ve been committed to a mental institution.

Gun dealers have access to these records when they run the 4473 background check, but otherwise there’d be no record of mental illness.

James Holmes was subjected to the same background check.

Then the background check was inadequate.

We live in the "information age", man. There was information that this guy was not all there, and due to various reasons, the people who sold him the gun (if they actually gave a shit) didn't have when they gave him a semi-automatic assault rifle and 3000 rounds of ammunition.

Bullshit, he didn't purchase any guns over the Internet. You're a fucking liar and a hack!

Forum List

Back