Gun culture or parenting culture?

Ray From Cleveland

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2015
I found a local gun story that I wanted to share because the accused is a minor. Kids with guns are not all that unusual (especially here in Cleveland) but what I found most telling is the response of the mother.

In short, this kid was arrested for having BB gun in a public park (very similar to the Tamir Rice situation) a year earlier. The judge went easy on the kid, but now the 16 year old was busted having a real loaded gun. Here are some quotes from the mother:

"He has to learn the right way. I can't stop him." When the I TEAM asked where he got the gun this time, his mother said, "I don't know. Don't know. He was using it for protection. He was walking down the street and people would shoot at him. Nowadays, that's what you need for protection. I don't consider it a good thing."

That mom says she did talk to her son before the Parma BB gun incident and after it. Didn’t matter. She said, “Kids these days need to learn their own lessons. He's learning his lessons."

Teen caught with BB gun at Parma park now busted with gun; mom says she can’t stop him

With the path this kid is on, it's more than likely he'll be dead or in prison for murder the next decade. Then the left will blame the guns.

Another thing that struck me: she said "I don't know, and I can't stop him." Not "We can't stop him" as if there was a father figure around. This woman practically justified her son illegally carrying a likely stolen gun underage. When he gets older and arrested for shooting somebody, I'm sure the mother will once again respond to a news interview by saying "My baby didn't do nutting wrong, he's a good boy." If he gets gunned down in the street, well........then I guess he "learned his own lessons."

I found a local gun story that I wanted to share because the accused is a minor. Kids with guns are not all that unusual (especially here in Cleveland) but what I found most telling is the response of the mother.

In short, this kid was arrested for having BB gun in a public park (very similar to the Tamir Rice situation) a year earlier. The judge went easy on the kid, but now the 16 year old was busted having a real loaded gun. Here are some quotes from the mother:

"He has to learn the right way. I can't stop him." When the I TEAM asked where he got the gun this time, his mother said, "I don't know. Don't know. He was using it for protection. He was walking down the street and people would shoot at him. Nowadays, that's what you need for protection. I don't consider it a good thing."

That mom says she did talk to her son before the Parma BB gun incident and after it. Didn’t matter. She said, “Kids these days need to learn their own lessons. He's learning his lessons."

Teen caught with BB gun at Parma park now busted with gun; mom says she can’t stop him

With the path this kid is on, it's more than likely he'll be dead or in prison for murder the next decade. Then the left will blame the guns.

Another thing that struck me: she said "I don't know, and I can't stop him." Not "We can't stop him" as if there was a father figure around. This woman practically justified her son illegally carrying a likely stolen gun underage. When he gets older and arrested for shooting somebody, I'm sure the mother will once again respond to a news interview by saying "My baby didn't do nutting wrong, he's a good boy." If he gets gunned down in the street, well........then I guess he "learned his own lessons."

There is more to it than a parenting problem. There's a society problem.

In what world do kids think they need weapons to protect themselves? Well, in a society that is failing to protect people, to instill morals into kids and all of that.

The right love to say how it's the parents' fault. The problem is that the right will also push the very same parents to work 80 hours a week so the rich can get richer. They also don't place any responsibility on schools to help deal with all the issues out there. So, the right essentially like to create the environment for this kind of thing, and then bitch and moan that the parents aren't doing anything about it.

In what world do kids think they need weapons to protect themselves? Well, in a society that is failing to protect people, to instill morals into kids and all of that.

The right love to say how it's the parents' fault. The problem is that the right will also push the very same parents to work 80 hours a week so the rich can get richer. They also don't place any responsibility on schools to help deal with all the issues out there. So, the right essentially like to create the environment for this kind of thing, and then bitch and moan that the parents aren't doing anything about it.

Really? You mean it was the right that promoted single-parent families? It was the right that told women to give up their husband for a job? The right promoted that???

Well if it's a society problem and the mother was correct in saying he needed the gun for protection, why not give every 16 year old in the ghetto a gun for protection? After all, it's not a parenting issue now is it?

Maybe.......just maybe if this kid had a father around, he might not be in trouble today. Maybe.....just maybe, with a husband and father, they would be able to afford a nicer area to live with two incomes.

She said he was carrying it for protection. Why do you hate the 2nd Amendment?

Right, for protection. Don't try that guilt trip on me. The second amendment doesn't give kids a constitutional right to illegally carry a firearm. That's why the kid is in jail today.

Does the 2nd have an age limit?

Most of our rights do. That's why 10 year olds cannot vote; although I'm sure the Democrats would love it if they could.

Well, the kid's not listening. That's not new with 16 year old boys. If he had a Dad, you think it would be different? Not so sure. The kids like that I've worked with, if there's a Dad (or more likely a step-dad) in the house, he would have been kicked out a couple years ago already. That's how Dads handle it. Or don't.

Really? You mean it was the right that promoted single-parent families? It was the right that told women to give up their husband for a job? The right promoted that???

Well if it's a society problem and the mother was correct in saying he needed the gun for protection, why not give every 16 year old in the ghetto a gun for protection? After all, it's not a parenting issue now is it?

Maybe.......just maybe if this kid had a father around, he might not be in trouble today. Maybe.....just maybe, with a husband and father, they would be able to afford a nicer area to live with two incomes.

So you don't want 16 year old kids to have a gun. How long before you want then to have one? I thought more guns made people safer.

You make a big assumption.

Like the woman "gave up her husband for a job."

Right, for protection. Don't try that guilt trip on me. The second amendment doesn't give kids a constitutional right to illegally carry a firearm. That's why the kid is in jail today.

Does the 2nd have an age limit?

Most of our rights do. That's why 10 year olds cannot vote; although I'm sure the Democrats would love it if they could.

The constitution originally limited the right to vote to 21. The 14th amendment lowered it to 18.

The world changed. The world went from being a subsistence farming world of near slaves, or surfs or whatever you want to call them. People for thousands of years worked the land, lived under a powerful landlord who was, for the slaves/surfs/underlings, above the law. He was only below the law when it came to those who were higher up.

But the world changed. Along came industry. Along came a migration away from the farms. Suddenly things were changing in a manner that went away from what the Church new and how to deal with. However under the subsistence farming world, people worked a lot, had as many kids as they could. They didn't have time to go fucking around too much, and their world was so small that everyone would know about it. The cities changed this, they changed a lot.

What you're talking about seems to be the right wishing to keep everything as it was. Perhaps. And they did desire married people. However they also desired people working massive amounts of hours. The two don't fit together.

Were liberals pushing for change? Sure they were. The American Revolution was a push for change, the Constitution was change. Did this change have an impact on family life? Sure it did. But are you suggesting that we should have remained subsistence farmers, living miserable lives, just so that we'd stay married?

Yeah, we could give every 16 year old a gun for protection, and then perhaps we could give them 10 ounces of crack cocaine so they don't have to go stealing in order to get their fix. Yeah, that'll work, then we can lock them up for possessing the thing we just gave them too, and then they'll be safe in prison, right? Because prisons are safe places....

Come off it.....

You make a big assumption.

Like the woman "gave up her husband for a job."

In many places women got a job because the men went to war, and the men chose to go to war. WW1 had a massive impact in Europe on how women were seen. The British gave women the right to vote in 1918 straight after WW1 where they had worked their asses off producing shit to kill German men.

There's a society problem.

Yes, the 'society' that has a revolving door for criminals

In what world do kids think they need weapons to protect themselves?
South side of Chicago, Detroit, Cleveland, East LA, numerous other areas run more by gangbangers than honest citizens.

52261790.jpg

well, let's look at that.

Used to be, men belonged to a union, they brought home good union wages, and mom could stay home with the kids.

Then Republicans thought that was a terrible idea, because those rich people couldn't afford Dressage Horses if they actually had to PAY the people who did the work, so they spent decades dismantling unions and the middle class.

So it wasn't that they "gave up their husbands" so much as they got jobs to make the money their husbands weren't making anymore.

But frankly, this is a good thing. Better than having no skills when your husband dumps you for a younger trophy wife when all the kids are grown.

That kind of sounds like a problem with men in general, doesn't it? Maybe the father isn't around because a racist cop threw him in prison after planting a bag of pot on him. It seems to me that if you had a situation where blacks could get the good jobs whites used to be able to get, you wouldn't have these issues.

Then again, the conservative solution is to make whites just as bad off as the blacks... and then cut everyone's government assistance.

Which is why Ray whines he can't get health care and he's made people poorer than him can.

Forum List

Back