Guillain-Barre Syndrome: The Truth

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eagleseven, Oct 29, 2009.

1. eagleseven

eagleseven Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    With the recent H1N1 vaccinations, Guillain-Barre Syndrome hysteria has hit the nation again.

Just what is Guillain-Barre Syndrome? In short, it is the body's over-reaction to antigens. When your body encounters foreign particles (known as antigens), it produces antibodies and a series of other cells to fight the infection.

The production process of antibodies, however, often makes mistakes. Most "mistaken" antibodies are destroyed. But what happens if an antibody accidentally targets human nerve tissue, and survives?

Why, the person develops Guillain-Barre Syndrome, where the body attacks its own brain and nerve cells. This often results in paralysis and death, and is virtually uncurable.

So what does Guillain-Barre Syndrome have to do with vaccines? Well, as you can see above, Guillain-Barre Syndrome can occur anytime the body is exposed to antigens. You can develop Guillain-Barre Syndrome from an everyday cold, from being sneezed on, or from a life-threatening illness.The more antigen in your body, the sicker you are, and the more likely you are to develop Guillain-Barre Syndrome.

Vaccines also expose you to small amounts of antigen, and so carry some risk of developing the syndrome. Still, there are thousands of times more antigen in a sick person than in a vaccine, and so you are far more likely to develop the syndrome from being ill.

So why all the hype? To put it bluntly, when a seriously ill person develops Guillain-Barre Syndrome, nobody cares. It's chalked up as an unfortunate development, makes no headlines, and the victim dies surrounded by family.

However, when the one-in-a-million healthy person develops Guillain-Barre from a vaccine, the press goes nuts, and conspiracy theorists have a field day. They then talk about how vaccines are dangerous, and how the government is secretly hiding Guillain-Barre Syndrome statistics from the public.

This couldn't be further from the truth, because as you can see, Guillain-Barre Syndrome affects primarily the already-ill. Unfortunately, the hype spreads, because people don't understand what Guillain-Barre Syndrome is all about.

So, hopefully you've learned something from this post, and can make an informed decision for you and your family regarding this year's vaccinations.

(Note to Mods: If you wish to move this to the Health and Lifestyle board, could you please wait a day or so because, with H1N1, this is very much a current event?)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 4
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2009
  2. eots

eots no fly list

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,606
    when I was a kid no one I ever knew died of the flu..in fact most kind of enjoyed it for the most part some extra attention..my mom would always buy me some comic books..you got a few days off school you appreciated feeling well again..it is all part of the human experience..for the most part all this fuss is so junior doesn't need to get a fever ..throw up..gain a natural immunity and carry on..it is stupid and if it was about saving lives I am sure statistically there are a thousand better ways to save children's lives with the money time and effort spent on this nonsense

3. kyzr

kyzr Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630
    One of our better HS athletes developed a mysterious disease from the regular flu vaccine. It took months for them to even diagnose the disease. He's fine now, but he nearly died from the flu vaccination. I'm always going to take my chances with the flu instead of the vaccine.

4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,618

When you were a kid people died of the flu every year, just like they do now.

The flu has always killed the old and weak.

Every once in a while some new enflueza pathogen comes down the pike that kills healthier people, too.

But putting that aside, the common average every-year-types flu has always been one of those common disases which kills of thousands of Americans every year.

5. judyd

judyd Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I had Guillain Barre when I was in high school in the 60's, and at that time the neurologist had said that I probably had a slight case of the flu or other illness which caused this to settle in my spinal fluid. Obviously that was his layman explanation.

Although that has been many years ago, I have always been advised not to get a flu shot since I had it in the past, and since the memory of the many months until I felt strong again is still there, I am not willing to take a chance.

6. American Horse

American Horse AKA "Mustang"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +938
    I think people tend to call any bad cold "the flu" these days. I remember several flu events from the past: 1957 my mother got the Asian flu, and I remember being worried that she would die from it. In 1967 I got the flu and after that so did my young wife. For me it seemed I was barely conscious for almost two weeks and could barely pry myself out of bed to take care of my needs. It was the same for my wife. To reduce the alarm it would be helpful if people knew the difference between the symptoms of a flu and a cold:

[​IMG]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  7. Neser Boha

Neser Boha upgrade your gray matter

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +434
    Thanks for the info, eagleseven. It is very helpful and educative. However, I would prefer if you included a link to a source from which you gathered this information. It is not that I am disputing the truthfulness of your post, it is just something I wish everyone would do every time they post information on the board.

Please?

8. eagleseven

eagleseven Quod Erat Demonstrandum

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,255
    Certainly. The information I presented was primarily off memory, but can be readily verified at the following links.

Guillain-Barre syndrome - MayoClinic.com
    Guillain-Barre Syndrome: MedlinePlus
    Guillain-Barre Syndrome (GBS) - Autoimmune Nerve Disorder - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment on MedicineNet.com
    CDC - Seasonal Influenza (Flu) - Q & A: Seasonal Flu and Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS)
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC303980/

9. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    I know someone who died of this at the beginning of this last summer, he was sick for month and was put in a nursing home and was thought to be getting better and then took another turn from the worse and never recovered.

10. MaggieMae

MaggieMae Reality bits

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,601
    You're talking about a fast-moving flu, not one that causes a fever and vomiting for a week or more, which can seriously dehydrate your entire system. The way I understand this current flu virus is that it resembles salmonella poisoning, only lasts longer. If you want to go through that, then knock yourself out.

There's also growing evidence that many of the "new" health problems, such as AIDS and even autism are the result of the old vaccine regimine us old folk had as children stopped being used somewhere along the line, and that those "bugs" were allowed to slowly reemerge and mutate into other viruses. The seven-vaccine procedure of 40-50 years ago wiped out small pox, measles and mumps as potential killers of thousands.