Guess Which Party?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Thirteenth-Amendment-to-the-Constitution-of-United.jpg

Slavery abolished in the United States
On this day in 1865, by proclamation of the U.S. secretary of state, the Thirteenth Amendment to the Constitution, outlawing slavery, officially entered into force, having been ratified by the requisite states on December 6.
On This Day December 18 - Historic Events and People

Hint?

Same party that got women the vote.

I must ask because I want to know.

Independence was in 1776, and slavery abolishing in 1865, this is 89 years later.

What caused such a delay or what were the circumstances in 1865 different than 1776 in order to make such resolution?

I must ask because I want to know.

Independence was in 1776, and slavery abolishing in 1865, this is 89 years later.

What caused such a delay or what were the circumstances in 1865 different than 1776 in order to make such resolution?

'What caused such a delay...'

The Democrat Party and the threat of war.

The Founders were opposed to slavery from the start....but the decision was about creating the nation.

1. Usually, the ‘Founders’ refers to these six: Madison, Jefferson and Washington, Adams, Hamilton, and Franklin.
    1. The three non-Southerners worked tirelessly against slavery.
    2. While reading Ron Chernow’s book Alexander Hamilton, though, I found out that Hamilton was a strong advocate for the abolition of slavery. During the 1780s, Hamilton was one of the founders of the New York Society for Promoting the Manumission of Slaves, which was instrumental in the abolition of slavery in the state of New York. After reading about Alexander Hamilton’s work for the New York Manumission Society, I gained a greater appreciation of Alexander Hamiltonhttp://angelolopez.wordpress.com/2011/06/10/alexander-hamilton-and-the-new-york-manumission-society/
    3. Many of the other Founding Fathers were activists like Alexander Hamilton. In 1787 Benjamin Franklin agree to serve as president of the Pennsylvania Abolition Society, which set out to abolish slavery and set up programs to help freed slaves to become good citizens and improve the conditions of free African Americans. On February 12, 1790, Benjamin Franklin and the Pennsylvania Abolition Society presented a petition to the House of Representatives calling for the federal government to take steps for the gradual abolition of slavery and end the slave trade. As a young lawyer, Thomas Jefferson represented a slave in court attempting to be set free and during the 1770s and 1780s, Jefferson had many several attempts to pass legislation to gradually abolish slavery and end the slave trade. John Jay was the first president of the New York Manumission Society and was active in Society’s efforts to abolish slavery. Ibid.
2. An excellent read on the matter is a brilliant book called Miracle in Philadelphia, by Catherine Drinker Bowen, which recounts the actual history and debates around the Constitutional Convention in 1787.

Slavery was a huge issue during that convention, and many of the Founding Fathers wanted it outlawed, but ran into an impasse after many hours of debate with the southern colonies whose agricultural productivity depended on it.

The Founders who wanted to set the stage for the abolition of slavery came up with a compromise involving the issue of apportionment.

The southern colonies that favored slavery wanted all residents of their states, slave and free, counted equally when it came to deciding how many seats they were going to receive in Congress. Some of the northern colonies, who mostly had few slaves and thus nothing to lose didn’t want slave residents counted at all.

The Founder’s compromise was to count each slave as 3/5 of a man for the purposes of apportionment, and when that passed after a great deal more debate and lobbying, legislators from the slave states were permanently limited to a minority. With that one stroke, the state was set for slavery’s eventual demise, and the proof of how effective it was came in 1804, when the slave states were powerless to stop Congress from outlawing the importation of slaves to the new nation.

The stage was set, even if it took 70 years and a bloody war.
Big Journalism Articles - Breitbart

Another factor was that Southern agriculture had millions of dollars invested in slave labor. When asked about compensation for ending slavery, the Northern colonies demurred.

Guess which party:
  • Was the first to propose reparations for Blacks
  • Enacted the first income tax
  • Violently established the Federal government as supreme over State governments
  • Is the favorite party today of ultra-nationalists and neo-Naziis
Hint: Same party that is working to keep women from having equal rights

Guess which party:
  • Violently established the Federal government as supreme over State governments
I am a son of Jewish immigrants from the old Soviet Union. Never owned slaves and neither did my parents. Why should I pay reparations?

Guess which party:
I am a son of Jewish immigrants from the old Soviet Union. Never owned slaves and neither did my parents. Why should I pay reparations?
Cover charge.

Guess which party:
Cover charge.
Cover charge nearly 40 yrs later? LMAO. Nope. You don’t have the right answer so you’re making it up as a you go along.

Guess which party:
Cover charge.
Cover charge nearly 40 yrs later? LMAO. Nope. You don’t have the right answer so you’re making it up as a you go along.
I don't know your story but I do know mine and here is just one example. My grandparents came here with nothing. I lived in a small home my parents bought in an all-White neighborhood. Blacks were red-lined out and forced to buy much less desirable ones, if they could even get a loan. My house went up tremendously in value and some of that wealth was passed on to me and I'll likely pass it on to my kids. That is family wealth that Black families in my city were unable to accumulate. That is just one example, I could cite jobs and schools too. That adds up to a burden I never had to shoulder.

Guess which party:
Cover charge.
I don't know your story but I do know mine and here is just one example. My grandparents came here with nothing. I lived in a small home my parents bought in an all-White neighborhood. Blacks were red-lined out and forced to buy much less desirable ones, if they could even get a loan. My house went up tremendously in value and some of that wealth was passed on to me and I'll likely pass it on to my kids. That is family wealth that Black families in my city were unable to accumulate. That is just one example, I could cite jobs and schools too. That adds up to a burden I never had to shoulder.
And? Because of your lack of burden I should have to pay someone? My parents came here with $100 and didn’t speak the language. They battled through it. Your sob stories fall on deaf ears, my parents are Jews from Eastern Europe. They lost 90% of their family because of WW2. Reparations are a cop out. Anyone living here is blessed. Those are the reparations. Sorry that you grew up in a racist neighborhood. But we aren’t paying for your sins.

Does America have any accepted practices today that in 100 years people will wonder why we followed such practices? Practices today, that make good sense to us, but in time, will look pretty stupid?

Does America have any accepted practices today that in 100 years people will wonder why we followed such practices? Practices today, that make good sense to us, but in time, will look pretty stupid?

Funny how that applies to the Democrat Party.....

1. The Democrats are, and have always been, the party of slavery, segregation, and second-class citizenship, the party that stood in schoolhouse doors to block black school children….until Republicans sent in the 101st airborne

2. It is the party of Jefferson Davis, the KKK, Planned Parenthood, concentration camps for American citizens, and restrictions on free speech.

3. It is the party of Mao ornaments on the White House Christmas tree, and of James Hodgkinson, and of Communist Bernie Sanders, of pretend genders.

4. The Democrat Party is the oldest racist organization in America, the trail of tears, the author of Jim Crow and the bigotry of low expectations, filibustered against women getting the vote and killed every anti-lynching bill to get to Congress

5. The Democrat Party is the number one funder of the Islamic Revolution in Tehran….to the tune of $100 billion to the Ayatollahs….and gave Hezbollah the go-ahead to sell cocaine in America.

6. It is the party of anti-Semitism and Louis Farrakhan, and of the first Cabinet member ever to be held in contempt of Congress.

7. It is the party that admits its future depends on flooding the country with illegal aliens, and telling them to vote.

8. It is the party that couldn't suck up to the Castro Brothers enough, and treats the Bill of Rights like a Chinese menu..

9. The Democrats got us into the Civil War…Jefferson Davis .... Woodrow Wilson, WWI….FDR, WWII……Truman, Korean War….VietNam, JFK and LBJ…..yet they want to weaken our military.

10. The Democrats are the party that looks at the mayhem their gun laws have produced in Chicago, ……and this is their model for the nation.

11. I should mention that the Democrat Party was used as a model by Adolph Hitler and the Nazi Party….another ‘feather’ in the party’s cap?

12. The Democrat Party is now running on full-blown anti-white racism.

13. It's the party of felons over law-abiding actual citizens

Funny how that applies to the Democrat Party.....

1. The Democrats are, and have always been, the party of slavery, segregation, and second-class citizenship, the party that stood in schoolhouse doors to block black school children….until Republicans sent in the 101st airborne

2. It is the party of Jefferson Davis, the KKK, Planned Parenthood, concentration camps for American citizens, and restrictions on free speech.

3. It is the party of Mao ornaments on the White House Christmas tree, and of James Hodgkinson, and of Communist Bernie Sanders, of pretend genders.

4. The Democrat Party is the oldest racist organization in America, the trail of tears, the author of Jim Crow and the bigotry of low expectations, filibustered against women getting the vote and killed every anti-lynching bill to get to Congress

5. The Democrat Party is the number one funder of the Islamic Revolution in Tehran….to the tune of $100 billion to the Ayatollahs….and gave Hezbollah the go-ahead to sell cocaine in America.

6. It is the party of anti-Semitism and Louis Farrakhan, and of the first Cabinet member ever to be held in contempt of Congress.

7. It is the party that admits its future depends on flooding the country with illegal aliens, and telling them to vote.

8. It is the party that couldn't suck up to the Castro Brothers enough, and treats the Bill of Rights like a Chinese menu..

9. The Democrats got us into the Civil War…Jefferson Davis .... Woodrow Wilson, WWI….FDR, WWII……Truman, Korean War….VietNam, JFK and LBJ…..yet they want to weaken our military.

10. The Democrats are the party that looks at the mayhem their gun laws have produced in Chicago, ……and this is their model for the nation.

11. I should mention that the Democrat Party was used as a model by Adolph Hitler and the Nazi Party….another ‘feather’ in the party’s cap?

12. The Democrat Party is now running on full-blown anti-white racism.

13. It's the party of felons over law-abiding actual citizens
Ironic isn't it that when the Dems finally cleaned house, the dregs they threw out were warmly accepted by the GOP.

• Anti-science kooks
    • creationists
    • anti-vaxers
  • Our love affair with guns
  • Our lack of universal health care
  • Lack to support for workers
  • "Corporations are people too"
  • Anti-immigrant attitudes

Forum List

Back