Guess what Republicans? We really need the Dept of Education, EPA and Energy

My sister is a tree hugging liberal like you. She's got a PhD in Math, her area is Theoretical Statistics, and she oversees studies for a non-profit who does a lot of work for HUD. They have a constant problem with the EPA because the EPA won't share data or studies with them.

Think about that, the EPA spends our taxpayer dollars on studies, then won't share it with other government agencies, must less anyone who wants it. What an arrogant bunch of SOB's they are. Do you ever question government? My God man, open your eyes to the reality and stop going from the glitzy liberal marketing.

Guess what?

In eight years of Bush, the EPA was kept on a tight leash. Now, after three years of Obama having them do their jobs the Republican solution is to abolish them

Don't you get the least bit embarrassed posting something like that???????

It does make you wonder, doesn't it?

So you are trying to tell us the laws in place to deal with these accidents were inadequate

Not the laws necessarily, but...

BP Didn't Plan for Major Oil Spill

And what did the report on the spill find?

"What we found was very limited oversight of these various activities and decisions, that the agency responsible in the Department of the Interior was understaffed, [and] didn't have the inspectors and technical analysts who were up to the task fully."

So you are trying to tell us the laws in place to deal with these accidents were inadequate

"What we found was very limited oversight of these various activities and decisions, that the agency responsible in the Department of the Interior was understaffed, [and] didn't have the inspectors and technical analysts who were up to the task fully."

The obama admin allowed that. You see they were donors.

FIX, don't destroy.

We Agree. :)

You can't fix government. You can only cut it down to its proper size, which is about 10% of its current size.

The problem is that there is so much abuse, we forget that there is a legitimate purpose. We should examine that and trim the fat. Where the Government has Authority, it needs to show cause, whatever it is responsible for, there needs to be transparency, accountability, and oversight. Is there a legitimate function being carried out? To what end? At what cost? Is the goal being achieved? Is the program barely holding it's own, or is there something being accomplished?

Let's not confuse the need for even Major Reform, fine Tuning, with refusal to adapt to circumstance. We remove that which obstructs correct action without removing legitimate function.

The Obama administration had been in just over a year when the Deepwater oil spill occurred. The man had just walked into office during one of the worst recessions in our nations history. He had a big checklist of George Bush crap to clean up.

It does suck that crap like this wasn't further up the list...

The Obama administration had been in just over a year when the Deepwater oil spill occurred. The man had just walked into office during one of the worst recessions in our nations history. He had a big checklist of George Bush crap to clean up.

The state of affairs had nothing to do with this crony payoff that backfired.

Rahm had been on the payroll from day one according to his disclosure documents.

What could be worse than closing down key agencies at critical points in our history?

At a time when our children are falling woefully behind other countries, Republicans want to kill the Dept of Education

At a time when Greenhouse gasses are affecting our climate.......Republicans want to close the Environmental Protection Agency

At a time when we are at the whim of an unstable middle east for oil imports......Republicans want to close the Dept of Energy

It would be really great if these departments could be ran by experts in the fields of education, the environment, and those who are experts on energy.

We Agree. :)

You can't fix government. You can only cut it down to its proper size, which is about 10% of its current size.

The problem is that there is so much abuse, we forget that there is a legitimate purpose. We should examine that and trim the fat. Where the Government has Authority, it needs to show cause, whatever it is responsible for, there needs to be transparency, accountability, and oversight. Is there a legitimate function being carried out? To what end? At what cost? Is the goal being achieved? Is the program barely holding it's own, or is there something being accomplished?

Let's not confuse the need for even Major Reform, fine Tuning, with refusal to adapt to circumstance. We remove that which obstructs correct action without removing legitimate function.

Intense you will not have transparency when the rot of corruption has been in involved. You have to start over or continue with the same old same hope hope they will change mentality. The little guy will always get robbed and bully by the big guy until the little guy has had enough and breaks the big guy's nose.

Remember this the he done it mentality? Every time something the new government does people say will the last one did it why are you bitching about?

Last edited:

Bush had been in the White House for 6 months when 9/11 occurred yet it was his fault. Katrina was a natural disaster and New Orleans was run by Louisiana and FEMA was a backup not a primary reserve agency (as it had been in Florida Hurricanes and the California Earthquake) but that was his fault. He'd been in the white house a year before the buildup to to the Iraq invasion started and Clinton said "I saw the same information and interpreted it the same way" and yet that was his fault. The list goes on.

So, do you condemn Democrats on that, or is it just Democrats you let off the hook? My answer is I don't play the blame game like you. So you can't turn it around on me, sorry. I care about changing policy, not pointing fingers.

What could be worse than closing down key agencies at critical points in our history?

At a time when our children are falling woefully behind other countries, Republicans want to kill the Dept of Education

I get your drift.

Our Founding Fathers did not know how to read or write. Thank's god for the Department of Education.

At a time when Greenhouse gasses are affecting our climate.......Republicans want to close the Environmental Protection Agency

yep. Globull warming is a reality.(wink, wink)

At a time when we are at the whim of an unstable middle east for oil imports......Republicans want to close the Dept of Energy

The Department of Energy
was created in the wake of the oil crisis of the 1970s and was signed into existence by President Jimmy Carter on August 4, 1977. Its responsibilities were the nation’s nuclear weapons program, a nuclear reactor for the U.S. Navy, energy conservation, energy-related research, radioactive waste disposal, and domestic energy production.

It currently employs 16,000 federal workers and, in 2009, had an annual budget of $24.1 billion. President Obama appointed Dr. Steven Chu as its Secretary. Dr. Chu is perhaps best known for recommending that global warming can be avoided by painting the roofs and highways white in order to reflect back the sun’s radiation. Will someone please get a net and throw it over Dr. Chu?

Bush had been in the White House for 6 months when 9/11 occurred yet it was his fault. Katrina was a natural disaster and New Orleans was run by Louisiana and FEMA was a backup not a primary reserve agency (as it had been in Florida Hurricanes and the California Earthquake) but that was his fault. He'd been in the white house a year before the buildup to to the Iraq invasion started and Clinton said "I saw the same information and interpreted it the same way" and yet that was his fault. The list goes on.

So, do you condemn Democrats on that, or is it just Democrats you let off the hook? My answer is I don't play the blame game like you. So you can't turn it around on me, sorry. I care about changing policy, not pointing fingers.

Okay, let change policies:

Lets say, for example, in the year 2016, John Doe is elected. In the year 2020, Jane Doe is elected.

In President John Doe's administration, he may want to have a department of the interior; in President Jane Doe's administration after John's, she may not. Is that okay?

In John's presidency, if he want to have an SEC that regulates that banks cannot charge fees for checks, he can do that. In Jane's, she decides to do away with the SEC. Is that okay?

The large problem is, in my mind, that we have these alphabet soup of agencies that have little if any power to transform the areas of the country they supposedly superintend. The Department of Education, for example, seems to be a big building of little or no importance. The country's test scores (if you put much stock into those scores) keeps getting worse and worse. Are they incompetent? Maybe. But I rather think that if Anre Duncan wanted to personally go to each student in every public school and tell them that water freezes at 0 degrees Celsius, there would be considerable governmental roadblocks to doing so from the Congress.

The large problem is, in my mind, that we have these alphabet soup of agencies that have little if any power to transform the areas of the country they supposedly superintend

This is what's scary about you. You think that government is to "superintend" the country. Politicians agree with you. Which is exactly why I want to do away with as many as possible and cripple the rest as much as possible.

Thomas Jefferson, "Were we directed from Washington when to sow and when to reap, we should soon want bread."

Does that describe the Obama economy or what?

Bush had been in the White House for 6 months when 9/11 occurred yet it was his fault.

Nonsense.

No serious authority has ever made such a claim.
Our Founding Fathers did not know how to read or write. Thank's god for the Department of Education.

What was the population of the United States in 1789? What as the geographic size of the Nation? What was the literacy rate?

Because things didn’t exist over 200 years ago doesn’t mean they’re not needed now.

Bush had been in the White House for 6 months when 9/11 occurred yet it was his fault.

Nonsense.

What was the population of the United States in 1789? What as the geographic size of the Nation? What was the literacy rate?

Because things didn’t exist over 200 years ago doesn’t mean they’re not needed now.

You didn't need a Dept of Education in 1789. Kids went to work at 12

Thank god we got a Dept of Labor. Huh?

Nonsense.

Let's qualify what you mean by saying no serious authority. Who is under your idea a serious authority on who was at fault for 9/11.

The state of affairs had nothing to do with this crony payoff that backfired.

Rahm had been on the payroll from day one according to his disclosure documents.

And naturally you can provide evidence of this?

FEMA worked much better under Bill Clinton than it did under George Bush. Why is that? Probably because Bill Clinton put someone in charge of FEMA that wanted to do a good job and had experience in disaster preparedness, not some friend of his that used to run a horse ranch.

Nobody "blames" George Bush for 9/11. They blamed Osama Bin Laden. Were there periods of gross incompetence? Hell yes, but nobody blames Bush for 9/11.

Forum List

Back