Group being sued for posting Bail.

SavannahMann

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 2016
In Las Vegas, a Celebrity funded group posted bail for a man who was arrested for Burglary and Theft. In other words, he was arrested for stealing. Ok, no big deal so far. This group posted bail of $3,000 to get the accused released. Again, fairly common. The Baddie committed another crime a week later and is now facing charges of Attempted Murder. The person he shot is suing the group claiming they didn’t consider the Baddie’s serial criminal history when they posted the Bail. Further he is arguing that the people posting the bail are responsible for any future crimes.

Ok, so help me out. It is now the person posting the bail that is responsible for considering such things? I was unaware that is how the system worked. Here is what I thought happened, and someone correct me if I am wrong.

The Defense Attorney makes a motion to have the Accused released from pre trial confinement. The Prosecutor argues that any such release should be accompanied by Bail. The Judge, in looking at the entirety of the case, sets the bail amount, if any, or denies the motion depending upon the severity of the crime or the probability of the individual to flee. All of this is argued by the Prosecutor and the Defense Attorney.

If Bail is granted, the Judge decides how much. The person posting bail says they understand they will lose the cash if the Accused does not appear in court. That is pretty much the end of the responsibility of the person posting bail. If the Accused does show up, and no matter if they are convicted or acquitted, the person posting bail can get their money back. It is sort of like a security deposit.

Now, I’ve never before heard that the person posting the bail is responsible for any future crimes. I’ve never heard that the person posting the bail is supposed to provide any sort of counseling, or treatment for psychiatric conditions. When did this become the responsibility of the person posting bail?

The threat assessment is the responsibility of the Prosecutor. The decision is the job of the Judge. If the person posting the bail has any responsibility in this matter, it is that they are responsible to share information, any they have, on the whereabouts, of the individual should they not appear at the next scheduled hearing. They have a legal duty to assist in the individuals capture and return to jail, and they have a financial incentive to get their money back.

Are we going to start suing Bail Bondsmen? Are we going to start suing family members who post bail?

Yes, this story is tragic, but it is a frivolous lawsuit that should be tossed without hesitation by the first Judge who looks it over. I say that with the obvious caveat that I don’t know Nevada law, and I don’t know what if any precedent exists in Nevada, but on the surface, it looks ridiculous.

For those who wish to read the “Conservative” viewpoint.

A cop in Maryland who was charged with 27 counts of sexual assault will receive a $94,500 annual pension despite being jailed awaiting trial. Michael J. Browning was a park ranger in charge of Gunpowder Falls and 2 of the women accusing him were former employees of the park

"Browning, 72, who had managed Gunpowder since 1991, was arrested in September on charges that he raped an employee more than 40 years his junior. The following month, a Baltimore County grand jury indicted him on 27 counts related to the alleged rapes."
Got to ask what the fuck with the attempted derailment?

I don't have any stats but just understanding how this works for most people, most people who make bail have someone else pay the bail.

In Las Vegas, a Celebrity funded group posted bail for a man who was arrested for Burglary and Theft. In other words, he was arrested for stealing. Ok, no big deal so far. This group posted bail of $3,000 to get the accused released. Again, fairly common. The Baddie committed another crime a week later and is now facing charges of Attempted Murder. The person he shot is suing the group claiming they didn’t consider the Baddie’s serial criminal history when they posted the Bail. Further he is arguing that the people posting the bail are responsible for any future crimes.

Ok, so help me out. It is now the person posting the bail that is responsible for considering such things? I was unaware that is how the system worked. Here is what I thought happened, and someone correct me if I am wrong.

The Defense Attorney makes a motion to have the Accused released from pre trial confinement. The Prosecutor argues that any such release should be accompanied by Bail. The Judge, in looking at the entirety of the case, sets the bail amount, if any, or denies the motion depending upon the severity of the crime or the probability of the individual to flee. All of this is argued by the Prosecutor and the Defense Attorney.

If Bail is granted, the Judge decides how much. The person posting bail says they understand they will lose the cash if the Accused does not appear in court. That is pretty much the end of the responsibility of the person posting bail. If the Accused does show up, and no matter if they are convicted or acquitted, the person posting bail can get their money back. It is sort of like a security deposit.

Now, I’ve never before heard that the person posting the bail is responsible for any future crimes. I’ve never heard that the person posting the bail is supposed to provide any sort of counseling, or treatment for psychiatric conditions. When did this become the responsibility of the person posting bail?

The threat assessment is the responsibility of the Prosecutor. The decision is the job of the Judge. If the person posting the bail has any responsibility in this matter, it is that they are responsible to share information, any they have, on the whereabouts, of the individual should they not appear at the next scheduled hearing. They have a legal duty to assist in the individuals capture and return to jail, and they have a financial incentive to get their money back.

Are we going to start suing Bail Bondsmen? Are we going to start suing family members who post bail?

Yes, this story is tragic, but it is a frivolous lawsuit that should be tossed without hesitation by the first Judge who looks it over. I say that with the obvious caveat that I don’t know Nevada law, and I don’t know what if any precedent exists in Nevada, but on the surface, it looks ridiculous.

The assholes in our judicial system who keep feeding dangerous, violent criminals back into society are the ones most responsible for all the resulting crime produced by these animals. It's not the people who put up bail.

Last edited:

How can they sue the person putting up bail? Maybe they should try to sue the judge if they believe this man shouldn't have been free.

So the woke deal is homo actors pay the bail and then in return you let them rape you? Id rather sit in jail thx.

I wonder which actors foot the bail.

Our constitution depends on a MORAL judiciary to interpret our laws. We don't have anything near that, thanks to the party of lawyers.

Odd, when people were claiming this in the past they were called SOB's and told to go pound sand.

/——-/ Is everyone aware yhat New York ended bail for almost every crime. The repeat offenders are overwhelming the police as they commit multiple crimes a week with no way to lock them up.
Nice work libtards.

Odd, when people were claiming this in the past they were called SOB's and told to go pound sand.
They were, no doubt, told that by those intent on using their governmental positions of power to enrich themselves. Morality will always be crucial to an orderly society. It's why we have so many references to God in our founding documents.

They were, no doubt, told that by those intent on using their governmental positions of power to enrich themselves.

Quite possibly as it was Trump who did it.

Morality will always be crucial to an orderly society. It's why we have so many references to God in our founding documents.

We ignore that part whenever it suits us.

/——-/ Is everyone aware yhat New York ended bail for almost every crime. The repeat offenders are overwhelming the police as they commit multiple crimes a week with no way to lock them up.
Nice work libtards.

The argument would serve those arrested for their crimes on January 6th.

However. Let’s talk about the Eighth Amendment. If you have $50 to your name. Bail of $3,000 is excessive. You can’t possibly pay it.

That is the point of the bail reform movement. And such releases are not guaranteed. They are still discussed as part of the pre trial release. Under Bail Reform, if the Accused would be eligible for release on bail, he is eligible for release without bail.

Those are pretty subjective parameters that can be easily ignored by an immoral judicial.

Whether one should get bail is somewhat subjective but the systems have this worked out pretty well.

And regardless, that is our law and Constitution.

Forum List

Back